Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFO Funding Cuts Questions  (Read 12635 times)

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Re: DFO Funding Cuts Questions
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2017, 11:49:37 AM »

The cuts to the restoration division is down right unacceptable and I plan on attending two events at ARMS and Keeps to support the fight.

Can you please post this ye details of those two events on this thread? ThX.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2017, 02:29:52 PM »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2017, 03:54:34 PM »

NEW!

House of Commons Petition.
This one could do what is needed!  8)

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-1133

Cheers!
Nog

RainbowMan

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2017, 04:26:18 PM »

Signed and submited. Thanks, Nog.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2017, 12:22:04 PM »

Watershed Watch Salmon Society
2 hrs ·
BREAKING NEWS: we have heard that MP Terry Beech just announced at the Fisheries & Oceans Standing Committee that the gov't will reverse the cuts to the Salmon Enhancement Program, including the Stream to Sea (Salmonid in the Classroom) Program.
This is great news! The pressure put on the gov't worked. Thanks to all who worked on this! 😀
Stay tuned for Gov't press release.

RainbowMan

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2017, 12:22:44 PM »

A more recent update from my MP:

Investments
Our government has invested approximately $3 billion into the core operations for DFO/CCG through Budget 2016, Budget 2017, the Oceans Protection Plan and following a comprehensive review of the organization's programs and services. With these investments, Canadians will soon see a noticeable difference in the services they receive from DFO/CCG.
There will be no changes to CCG presence in inland waterways.
The   Coast Guard dive team will remain at the Sea Island base.
There   will be no change or reductions to the Salmonid Enhancement Program (SEP). All elements of SEP will continue.
With the significant new investments in DFO/CCG, our government will be enhancing search and rescue services on all our coasts and working with community partners on a number of ecosystem restoration projects.

On Salmonid Enhancement Program
I have shared with the Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and Canadian Coast Guard the concerns I have heard from community members over recent days with respect to some recent changes to the Salmonid Enhancement Program.  I take those concerns extremely seriously, as does our government.

Preserving and restoring salmon habitat is fundamental to ensuring the Pacific coast has salmon for generations to come.  There will be no reductions to the Salmonid Enhancement Program: all these programs will continue.  This includes the educational and technical contracts that support Stream to Sea and Salmonids in the Classroom, the SEP Resource Restoration Unit, and the hatchery production of Steelhead and Cutthroat trout.

We recognize the long standing relationships with Indigenous, community and municipal partners in our collective conservation efforts to protect wild Pacific salmon stocks.  We will continue this important work through the SEP Program.

Coastal Restoration Fund
DFO has for a long time focused on inland waters but emerging new science has also shown we need to mitigate stressors in the ocean environment.  Our government is committed to continuing all aspects of the Salmonid enhancement program, as well as restoring habitat along our ocean coastlines.

The new Coastal Restoration Fund - $75M over 5 years -addresses historically degraded areas and will support projects that contribute to coastal restoration plans; support the identification of restoration priorities; and threats to marine species located on Canada's coasts. (Link: http://dfo-mpo.gc.ca/oceans/crf-frc/index-eng.html)

Investments stemming from this fund will help indigenous people, community based groups, not-for-profit organizations, academic institutions, researchers, and industry to work together with us to restore marine environments and protect critical coastline habitat.

As we focus on restoring lost protections in the Fisheries Act, and focus on rebuilding habitat management capacity in our department, our government will outline better and more significant investments in the months ahead as to how we intend to partner with these community groups to ensure that this important work is not lost and is continued and strengthened for the years ahead.

Increased Search and Rescue Capacity
Through the Oceans Protection Plan, our government is increasing the Canadian Coast Guard's search and rescue, and environmental response capacity.

To increase our search and rescue capacity so vital to Canadians on all of our coasts the Canadian Coast Guard will establish seven new lifeboat stations.  Four of these stations will be located in British Columbia - in Victoria, Port Renfrew, Nootka and Hartley Bay.

As part of creating a world leading marine safety system the Coast Guard will create 24/7 emergency coordination capacities within existing regional operation centres - one in Victoria.

Total investments in 2017 will create more job opportunities within the Coast Guard, resulting in up to 15% increase in staffing across the country within the next year.

Sea Island Dive Team
I have shared with the Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and Canadian Coast Guard the concerns I have heard from community members over recent days respect to some recent changes to Coast Guard services - including the dive team program and services on inland waterways.

I take those concerns extremely seriously, as does our government.  We know how much Canadians value the programs and services offered the Coast Guard.

All these programs will continue.  We have listened to Canadians and understand the strong attachment they place on the Canadian Coast Guard.  That's why our government is making historic investments in Coast Guard capacity through the Oceans Protection Plan and the recent program review.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2017, 12:32:59 PM »

Good to see some common sense finally.
Another shout out to all those who took the time to voice their displeasure.  To those anglers who stood by and did nothing, I wish you all have a terrible fishing season.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2017, 12:58:02 PM »

This is great news. Thanks to those who spear headed this.

RainbowMan

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2017, 06:46:04 PM »

--as a follow up...make sure you thank the MP's who listened, I will thank my MP with the hope they will listen in the future.

RainbowMan

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2017, 09:46:47 PM »

--as a follow up...make sure you thank the MP's who listened, I will thank my MP with the hope they will listen in the future.

Good point Skaha. I sent a thank you email to my MP and the other MPs that I'v been communicating with on the matter. Also, a big thank you to fellow forum members who took action and voiced their concerns.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2017, 02:42:31 PM »

Those political head honchos only react to vote count. If they sense that there is a sizable angry mob out there ready to roll their heads in the next election if the cut goes ahead, then they will respond. They will cut other areas instead that won't cost them votes and lost parliament seats. LOL.