Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFO Funding Cuts Questions  (Read 12623 times)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
Re: DFO Funding Cuts Questions
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 12:55:50 PM »

Most of us steelheaders are laymen to fishery science. Can't argue with the fishery biologists.  But if the hatchery program is a danger to wild stock, we should see the Thompson, the Coquihalla, the Coquitlam, or the Squamish doing very well with wild stocks. Or do they? I don't think the Coquitlam has been stocked with hatchery steelhead even though they have a volunteer hatchery. The Gold has done well long time ago. I had a 25-fish day there with my friend, but even that system is never the same. Anyways, it will be interesting to see the Vedder a wild only river. Can't wait for many 10+ fish day there. Heck I will take 5+ day trip any day with no meat fishermen crowding the river. LOL.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 01:12:41 PM »

But if the hatchery program is a danger to wild stock, we should see the Thompson, the Coquihalla, the Coquitlam, or the Squamish doing very well with wild stocks.

all those rivers have received hatchery enhancement. The Coquitlam has the longest history of hatchery introduction in the Province.

Problems on all those rivers are complex. Some like the Coquihalla, The Coquitlam and to some extent the Squamish have had serious habitat damage or loss. No doubt there are rivers that could be used basically as conduits for hatchery programs because they either never had favourable habitat or it's been damaged to a point where wild stocks likely can't recover to even a shadow of historical abundance. The Coquitlam would be a candidate for that as is the Capilano and Seymour (to some extent). You can add the Stave as well.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 05:51:01 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 04:41:06 PM »

Thanks RainbowMan.  Signed and sent on.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 05:51:38 PM »

Signed and sent too. Thanks.

Jk47

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 08:16:56 PM »

Signed. Thanks.... and shared to Facebook too, just follow the link

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2017, 09:26:43 PM »

The wild steelhead coalition has some great vids about how the sporties killed wild steel head fishing. They talk about how the stocks hit a point on no return. How that it could take 50 to 100 years to get back to the way they were.  it's a good watch I think it's 3 parts

https://vimeo.com/203680367

https://vimeo.com/203746424

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2017, 09:45:29 PM »

I also sent a letter to my Liberal MP. For those who care about the wild salmon protection programs in BC, we should use all possible ways to put pressure on the feds to reinstate funding to these programs. This is huge....
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 09:51:06 PM by RainbowMan »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2017, 09:59:18 PM »

Is this related to this thread's topic??  :-\

I think it's relative, talks about stream inhanancement and the effectiveness of hatchery programs. DFO have made some hard cuts but perhaps the DFO programs were not adding much to the environment or salmon Anyways.

I think people are always in denial about the fact that the number 1 thing hurting the stocks might not be all the funding cuts but their own fishing. Even with returns of 100k plus steelhead on some rivers and sporties only able to bonk 2 a day they still drove it into the abyss.

Tylsie

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 11:26:12 PM »

Wildman,

Though I enjoyed the videos, and do believe we all have played a part in the steelhead (and all salmon) stocks, each river is unique and to blame sportfishers, hatcheries, habitat loss or any one thing is to do a huge disservice. The fact is that these cuts do nothing to address any of these issues! Taking away salmon in the classroom (a program that only cost $600,000 annually to run across the entire province) does nothing to to stop overfishing, terminating the RRU and all of the biologists who approve the restoration projects across province certainly does nothing for habitat, and closing down all steelhead and cuthroat hatcheries in the province will only result in less fisherpeople, less eyes on the water, less people who care, and less funds. Are hatcheries the answer to every river, certainly not but they are on certain rivers and should be kept open.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2017, 09:16:14 AM »

https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/disarray-at-dfo-as-groups-decry-cuts-to-fish-programs/Content?oid=3578500

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/fisheries-department-cuts-education-program-1.4140391

Time to heat up our MLA's Folks! Give them enough backlash they have to reconsider these most foolish moves!

And please keep hitting that petition!!

https://www.change.org/p/35000-school-kids-affected-by-latest-department-of-fisheries-cuts

Cheers & THANKS!
Nog

"At least Harper was honest about having no interest in science. This government says everything they're doing is based on science, when everything they're doing couldn't be further from the truth.

"Seeing the writing on the wall, it's very, very clear to me that this government has no interest in maintaining, assisting and preserving our Pacific wild salmon stocks."

Pretty much been my sentiment for the last 20 years! I can understand the cuts to the steel head and cutthroat hatchery's as that seems to be a Provencal responsibility.

The cuts to the restoration division is down right unacceptable and I plan on attending two events at ARMS and Keeps to support the fight.