Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Fraser River Today  (Read 4592 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
The Fraser River Today
« on: June 03, 2017, 01:37:57 PM »

I filmed this today at the Agassiz Rosedale Bridge. https://youtu.be/22H7Nrew8gU
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 02:08:38 PM by chris gadsden »

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Re: The Fraser River iToday
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 01:48:41 PM »

Looks like a lot of water!

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Re: The Fraser River Today
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 08:47:02 AM »

Thanks for posting! Interesting to see how much water goes by so quickly!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 09:57:05 AM »

Agassiz Gauge is reading 16.4 meters on line up 4.5 meters from March 1st when it became active for the seaon and 2 meters higher than about the same time last year.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 01:03:29 PM »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 12:16:52 PM »

https://youtu.be/8UGr72i0uEE
That's a lot of water flow for sure. A few years ago ( maybe 4 ? ) the tv news had a report of a tug & barge in trouble by the New Westminster bridge(s).
Too much current.
Extra: do as you will but...
Blair I have boated a lot in 3 dif boats in the waters your vid shows.
One boat was the same size as yours 13/14 fter.
With the dirty cold water & tide changes ,wind come up possibly,submerged logs/ dead heads that are 99.999% hidden & the increased water flow, I would definately wear a flotation device / life jacket.
Hit something or some standing wave & your in the water in a snap of a finger.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 12:32:10 AM »

I filmed this today at the Agassiz Rosedale Bridge. https://youtu.be/22H7Nrew8gU
River looks extra swift in the valley but when the water comes thru the Richmond area & out to the Straight, it forks into the North Middle Main Arms of the Fraser River plus another Arm "Canoe Pass" by Ladner thus water looks calmer.
With all this fast water people had better stay a few feet from the shore.

Extra: Blair great you are going to wear life jackets when on the Fraser.
More so when going higher cruising speed.
Best time to boat on the Fraser in the Richmond/Ladner area is during near or high tide / low wind days.
Tide chart on web should say 3.3,3.4, 3.6, 4.1 sort of thing.
1000s of hrs boating on the Fraser & one of the most crazy areas is on the southside of the river across from Steveston Island  over by the wood jetty.
Sometimes on incoming tides the water gets really wild there.
Once hit something like 9-14 ft standing waves at that spot !!!! ( in a 16 ft boat. )
High tide though that area is quite nice & calm.
If water looks rough better to stay close to Steveston Island & cut across by the green channel bell not too far from that side channel next to Westham Island.
Also once in a 14 ft boat going east by that wood jetty the incoming tide literally pushed the boat like a surf board & at one point swung the boat sideways in 1 sec.
Turned the wheel fast & hit the throttle to right the boat.
If I never reacted quick the incoming tide waves would of over turned the boat.
Have fun in a month's time at the lake!

arimaBOATER

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 03:47:02 PM »

https://youtu.be/8UGr72i0uEE
Something tells me with the hotter temps we are going to see rapid snow melt & even higher river levels.
Stick in water generator & create some hydro power. ( small one to run your riverside house )

Extra :Blair, as you asked ...
Again high tide time is best & low winds.
The water below the Lions Gate Bridge & 2 Narrows Bridge ( by PNE grounds ) can get hairy scary at tide changes. One guy told me he hit 9 ft standing waves in his inflatable boat by the Lions Gate Bridge!!!!
We once hit 6-8 ft waves in Howe Sound created by south/west winds. My dad had a 21 ft boat at that time ( 1970s ) thus we headed back to Lions Bay. Too rough.
High tide low winds you are ok to do boating in areas you mentioned. ( false creek etc...)