Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hungry trout  (Read 2444 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Hungry trout
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 03:38:33 PM »

That's really interesting. Thanks.

I've heard fly anglers says that trout go off the bite for several days after a flying ant hatch because the fish need time to digest the hard exoskeleton of the ants.

Being full didn't seem to bother this fish!

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 03:44:13 PM »

That's really interesting. Thanks.

I've heard fly anglers says that trout go off the bite for several days after a flying ant hatch because the fish need time to digest the hard exoskeleton of the ants.

Being full didn't seem to bother this fish!
I thought it was due to the formic acid they use to sting their prey.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 03:52:22 PM »

Heavy ants falls following a mating flight of ants, particularly large carpenter ants, does bring on a feeding frenzy and the fish of sizes do gorge themselves. This often happens the first warm sunny day in late April or in May depending on geography. Usually mid to late May in the interior. On Kootenay Lake I have seen fish approaching 20lbs sipping ants off the surface. It lasts an afternoon and yes the fish go off the bite for a day or 2 until they digest and pass the enormous quantity of ants consumed.

However if you hit the day right it can be the dry fishing experience of a lifetime.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.