Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink/Coho rod and reel  (Read 5007 times)

Sinergy

Pink/Coho rod and reel
« on: May 16, 2017, 10:11:20 PM »

Hey all I have tried looking at shops. I am having a really hard time finding a 8 to 9 foot med light bait casting rod. Anyone have a recommendation for a brand I was looking at the 100 to 150 dollar range. And any recommendations for a reel I was thinking the abu garcia c3 4500. But I was recommended the abu low profile black max. Anyone have a opinion on those 2 reels?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:14:25 PM by Sinergy »

sbc hris

Re: Pink/Coho rod and reel
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 10:48:18 PM »

Are you looking to toss lures, or float fish? Trophy XL makes nice rods in that size and price range.

Sinergy

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 05:07:34 AM »

Oh i am planning on everything I got jigs crock floats and a few spin and glow

Tangles

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 10:48:03 AM »

Where do you live? Sea-Run in Coquitlam or Highwater tackle in North Van will have for sure something in that size.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 11:45:13 AM »

For twitching jigs and chucking lures, a spinning rod/reel will be much better suited than a level-wind, due to castability of lighter gear, but wont be good for float fishing. If you want a single do-it-all setup, then yes, a level wind will be the most versatile.

For reel selection, level-winds have come a long ways technology-wise and even the entry level Abu/Shimano are not bad at all IMHO. Round vs low profile is mostly personal preference. Go for whichever feels nicer in your hand and/or fits your budget. Generally speaking round reels tend to have a bit more line capacity (which is mostly a non factor in a coho/pink setup), while low profilers tend to weigh a few ounces less.

Birkenhead

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 10:06:07 PM »

Anyone have a recommendation for a brand I was looking at the 100 to 150 dollar range. And any recommendations for a reel I was thinking the abu garcia c3 4500. But I was recommended the abu low profile black max. Anyone have a opinion on those 2 reels?

I think you meant a Abu Garcia c3 4600. Nice reel for Pinks and Coho but usually for the same price, step up to the 6500. It is only 1.5 oz more in weight but has a much larger line capacity and can also be used for the bigger salmon such as Chinook and Chum.

As for the Black Max reels, I have 2 of these and are good for Pinks and Coho but IMO, are too light for bigger salmon. However if you only ever plan on fishing the Pinks and Coho, you can't really go wrong with the BM.

Someone mentioned the Trophy XL Rods. Though longer then your desired 9 foot rod, I have a 10-1/2 foot XL medium light casting rod rated at 8-17 lbs. Coupled with either reel above, it is nice all around river rod for Pinks and Coho. Army and Navy usually have these rods in stock for about $100.00 to $120.00.

Another option is the Fenwick HMX series of casting rods. There are a couple of 8-9 foot medium weight rods rated at 8-12 or 8-15 lbs in this series and are also in your price range. Cabelas.ca usually have these rods in stock online and I have seen a few at the Abby store at times.

Sinergy

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 05:26:01 PM »

Yeah i have my chinook and chum rod a old abu 6500s on a 10 foot med heavy okuma I wanted a lighter setup for the smaller fish that and I don't have to throw out my line to replace it with lighter line because I only have one rod.

Sinergy

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 05:28:12 PM »

Cool thanks for the opinions everyone in gonna make sure I grab something when the father's day deals hit

Birkenhead

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 07:00:27 PM »

Yeah i have my chinook and chum rod a old abu 6500s on a 10 foot med heavy okuma I wanted a lighter setup for the smaller fish that and I don't have to throw out my line to replace it with lighter line because I only have one rod.

You can always switch to braid line. 30 lb braid line = 8 lb mono in equivalent size.

I run 40 LB braid on almost all my reels, with the exception of 2 small spinning reels that have 20 lb braid which is = 6 lb mono size.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 11:18:59 AM »

For pinks, I run a 20lb braid that is about the same size as 6lb mono.

The rod I use is an Ugly Stick - about 7 feet.
The reel I use is Shimano R 4000 spinning reel - $25 Walmart.

Nice combination for throwing plastic lures with weights or spoons un-weighted.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 11:23:27 AM by Easywater »

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 06:34:10 PM »

I personally use a 9 foot trophy XL coho king spinning rod with a penn fierce 2500 lined with 12lb seaguar red label fluorocarbon.   Great setup, and held up to late season chum and the odd accidental white spring the past 3 years.  Its not a super baller setup but it has reliably put fish in my hands.  Almost time for an update on the setup but it has worked great for me and would recommend the same setup.   And I typically only use shimano gear.

mr.bean

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 08:45:07 PM »

I know you are looking for a longer rod, but I have a 7 foot Shimano Bait Casting Rod , line weight  8 - 17 lbs,  Power Medium and Action is Fast.  you  can have for 15.--