Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: small lake rainbow trout float fishing question  (Read 1772 times)

chrisc54

small lake rainbow trout float fishing question
« on: May 31, 2017, 02:19:28 PM »

hey guys, i have fished for years, with about a year off due to busyness, but i have a rooky question for you. When i went up to a lake in harrison area, a small one that i never miss on, i was getting countless hits while unable to set the hook, float fishing a small bobber, the hooks i always use and a piece of shrimp ( not small deli shrimp), i assume the shrimp was too big for them and they kept just biting and pulling? i got skunked, usually with shrimp deli, or even some smaler frozen ones or worms i do very well float fishing there. thanks for your help guys

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: small lake rainbow trout float fishing question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 03:08:22 PM »

Most likley, the hook/bait was too big to get into the fish's mouth.  Perhpas there were only fingerling or yearling trout nibbling?  Could have also been small course fish too small to engulf the presentation?  Dull point?  Early hooksets?  Don't laugh, but it could have been newts nibbling as well.  You could check http://www.gofishbc.com/Stocked-Fish.aspx as to what size was recently stocked in the lake you were on.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 04:01:56 PM by Damien »

chrisc54

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 03:55:59 PM »

yeah, it was stocked pretty recently, lots of risers too. I have used that hook a lot with worms with success other than the worm being easier to steal lol. But with the shrimp hooked properly along the hook i was thinking maybe they couldnt quiete fit the hook in their mouth, the bobber definetely dunked and swam a few times, im pretty patient with hook setting as often it seems wit the float they hook themselves on the resistance of it. Thanks for the knowledge buddy!

losos

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 05:40:58 PM »

Hook size #12 or use single egg size hook. I had no missed hooksets with this.