Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Double Hook for Kokanee Fishing?  (Read 7151 times)

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: Double Hook for Kokanee Fishing?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 02:38:04 PM »

Doesn't Sheridan Lake have a water specific single barbless restriction, hence the lyman clipping.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 03:26:58 PM »

Doesn't Sheridan Lake have a water specific single barbless restriction, hence the lyman clipping.
It's not in the regs.

Birkenhead

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 04:39:25 PM »

Hi Guys! ....  Danny here from BCFishn.com

To get back to the question "Is a Double Hook on a Kokanee lure legal when the regulations DOESN'T STATE single barbless?" Because the hooks come together to make up a single lure they are considered to be part of the lure and is a legal method. I have confirmed this with Ministry officials such as Conservation Officers, and even DFO officers. In fact, I've fished with ministry staff using this method before.

So to clarify, a lure with 2 hooks are allowed if the hooks came with the lure. However in your YT video, you are assembling your own "lure" with double hooks, so would this still be allowed even though the lure (hootchie skirt) did not originally come with the hooks?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 06:50:56 PM »

[quote author=typhoon link=topic=41076.msg386664#msg386664 date=1495830217
That's weird because the old timers trolling Lyman Lures at Sheridan all have to cut off one of the hooks.
They must be talking to a different CO.
[/quote]

--Yes, over time there have been different interpretations...yet the ministry resists changing the wording...one of many government mysteries.
--This really ticks me off as it is not equitable when some people in the know have an advantage. I prefer to be squeaky clean when it comes to the application of these regulations. Perhaps if enough people request the interpretation the ministry will put the explanation on their web site... at least under FAQ.
--As a caution... the interpretation may change over time...I have asked the same question several times over the years.  Some answers have been more cautious than the one posted...especially as Shuswap has a single barbless regulation.  In particular I have cut the first hook on bucktails...still leaving enough for a rudder and I don't like the idea of fishing in a tournament when others are using the two hooked bucktail. Especially as the lure and fly's are tuned for use with two hooks... modification does change the action.
--Even if not required I do not use the 2 hook rigs in areas where there is a chance of by-catch of species that I intend to release.

--This is kinda like asking a Police Officer if it is OK to drive 101 in a 100 zone.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 08:32:25 AM by skaha »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 08:28:12 AM »

If the regulation for the lake is single barbless and/or artificial fly only, trailing hook are not allowed, otherwise a lure or fly can use more than one single or treble hook as long as it can only catch one fish at a time.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.