Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Winter Steelhead Blog Series - My Journal - The Quest for 20  (Read 10109 times)

Snagly

Re: Winter Steelhead Blog Series - My Journal - The Quest for 20
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 10:39:24 PM »

Since you'll be away for a week, can you leave your spinner box on the front porch?  8)
"One and done" to limit our impact on wild steelhead

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 12:50:35 PM »

I'll throw up some new blogs for you some reading before you all embark on what looks to be a beautiful long weekend. Should be the start of some summer runs on some island flows... although it looks like I'll be focusing on lakes for this weekend.

The halfway point of the Quest was marked with an intimate elk experience:

https://outdooraddictions.wordpress.com/2017/04/04/quest-for-20-part-ix-the-halfway-point/

Next was a slow stretch where the water dropped out considerably and made checking off new rivers fairly tough!

https://outdooraddictions.wordpress.com/2017/04/13/quest-for-20-part-x-the-mid-quest-lull/

And then the rains showed up mid season, and the fish came along with it!

https://outdooraddictions.wordpress.com/2017/04/20/quest-for-20-part-xi-two-at-a-time/

Cheers, enjoy the reading material!

Dan

Ambassador

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 05:47:38 PM »

Such a great series of posts, Dan. That day with your 2 buddies and non-stop hits sounded amazing! What a cool experience.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 06:58:29 PM »

A Kitty ready to pounce on her prey  ;D:

I know, I know ... pretty cheezy but I couldn't resist.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 07:01:39 PM by Rieber »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 09:07:43 AM »

A Kitty ready to pounce on her prey  ;D:

I know, I know ... pretty cheezy but I couldn't resist.

At the time I thought it may be the case. She kept looking for ways down the 50 foot cliff  ;D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2017, 11:38:10 AM »

Looking over some of the chapters of your blog, the concept, the excellent photos & the narrative made me think of a coffee table book that might cost $100 or so...and here we get it for free with the added bonus of videos! Great stuff. Makes me wish I was younger. Thanks for all the effort and for sharing.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2017, 05:56:29 PM »

At the time I thought it may be the case. She kept looking for ways down the 50 foot cliff  ;D

From what we've learned about Kitty over the last few year is that she probably wouldn't have been opposed to being lowered with a safety harness and winch, suspended above the water and just below the brush enough to make a clean cast.

I hope I didn't just put a crazy thought in her head.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2017, 07:07:56 PM »

That shot of kitty looking down at the pair is awesome. Good stuff wish I had the time to get away like I used to before kids. Enjoy it.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2017, 10:57:31 PM »

The Bull Elk is a special shot as well. To get nose to nose is something that most people never manage to do.

Life is short, but you guys got if figured out. Beautiful.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:59:22 PM by Rieber »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 05:16:37 PM »

Looking over some of the chapters of your blog, the concept, the excellent photos & the narrative made me think of a coffee table book that might cost $100 or so...and here we get it for free with the added bonus of videos! Great stuff. Makes me wish I was younger. Thanks for all the effort and for sharing.

Thanks for that Ralph! Glad to hear you are enjoying the reads. It's great to hear that it is worthy of a coffee table book. I do hope to continue with writing blogs if possible once the Quest for 20 is over. I'm half contemplating doing one for coho, and possibly summer steelhead as well.

Anyway, more blogs to start off the short work week.

Kitty makes a good push towards her goals!
Part XII: https://outdooraddictions.wordpress.com/2017/04/27/quest-for-20-part-xii-kittys-push/

I've literally hated trout beads forever... but I have to give it to em, they are really, really effective certain days
Part XII: https://outdooraddictions.wordpress.com/2017/05/04/quest-for-20-part-xiii-the-trout-bead-saga/

And a little bit of a lull in the "new river" action, but still getting fish in places we had already been!
Part XIV: https://outdooraddictions.wordpress.com/2017/05/05/quest-for-20-part-xiv-the-drought/

Enjoy!

sugartooth

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2017, 11:54:36 PM »

Dan. I started spoon fishing 4 or 5 years ago because of some of your posts and the success you were having with it. Swinging spoons I'm fine with but could you explain your jigging  technique and the type of water you would use that technique in. Do you jig your spoon back at the end of your swing ? Also seeing as you use a spinning reel do you let line out or let your spoon flutter down stream if the current is too strong to keep your spoon near the the bottom? 

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2017, 05:28:04 PM »

Dan. I started spoon fishing 4 or 5 years ago because of some of your posts and the success you were having with it. Swinging spoons I'm fine with but could you explain your jigging  technique and the type of water you would use that technique in. Do you jig your spoon back at the end of your swing ? Also seeing as you use a spinning reel do you let line out or let your spoon flutter down stream if the current is too strong to keep your spoon near the the bottom?

Jigging can be used in a variety of situations.

I typically use it in pockets or seams by casting upriver and then jigging as it comes back towards you (mostly just pop it along bottom, I give a small jig up every time I feel it touch to prevent snagging).

Its also useful in deep, slow pools. Cast way up to give it time to sink and then jig it along down deep.

Sometimes, I'll even jig in the same runs that I'd normally swing in. Imparting a different action can sometimes provide a hit. I often observe the fish too. If they are showing interest but not moving far, casting up in front of them and jigging it as it comes down their "line" will often pick them up.

As for letting line out, I never do. I just adjust how far up I cast or how heavy of spoons I'm using. The same is true for swinging.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2017, 11:02:03 PM »

The last two blogs before the recap of the season goes up!

Check out how both Kitty and I achieved our goals of the season! Mine ended in the most perfect way!

Part XVIII: A suitable Finish https://outdooraddictions.wordpress.com/2017/05/27/quest-for-20-part-xviii-a-suitable-finish/

Part XIX: Kitty's Completion https://outdooraddictions.wordpress.com/2017/05/30/quest-for-20-part-xix-kittys-completion/

Thanks for following along!

The recap of the entire season, and the video to go along with it will be posted up on Friday in a separate thread!

Cheers,
Dan

Snagly

How do you fish your pink worms?
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2017, 03:51:07 AM »

I'm curious as to the setup you guys use for the 4"-6" pink worms. How big a float do you use? Are you using graduate round shot like the pinners, or in-line pencil lead? How about hook placement in the worm?

I don't use the worm very much, but it sure is controversial up on the Skeena & tribs. So my final question might seem peculiar, but I'm wondering if you experience any deeply hooked (rakers/gills/gullet) fish on the pink worm? In general, where are you hooking the fish (I know, I know, "in the mouth" . . . .)
"One and done" to limit our impact on wild steelhead