Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's your favourite chironomid searching pattern?  (Read 6377 times)

cdjk123

What's your favourite chironomid searching pattern?
« on: April 24, 2017, 05:44:30 PM »

What's your go to fly if you have nothing to go off of?

sbc hris

Re: What's your favourite chironomid searching pattern?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 05:56:41 PM »

Black sally on one rod, chromie on the other. Usually size 12-14. It's very rare that one wont produce, and often I never have to change flies.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 06:00:44 PM »

Kind of strange to link chironomid as a searching pattern but if I can't see or figure out what size and colour but know it's a chironomid lake, I would start with a size 14 red butt black with silver rib.

But really before I would switching to Chironomids I would be doing the troll with a small green leech until I found signs of chironomids. Start by looking for Swallows and head for them. Short of that, head for Floon's boat by the Lily pads, weed beds, shoals, points, creeks or bays.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 06:45:15 PM »

Kind of strange to link chironomid as a searching pattern but if I can't see or figure out what size and colour but know it's a chironomid lake, I would start with a size 14 red butt black with silver rib.

But really before I would switching to Chironomids I would be doing the troll with a small green leech until I found signs of chironomids. Start by looking for Swallows and head for them. Short of that, head for Floon's boat by the Lily pads, weed beds, shoals, points, creeks or bays.

I use a small green leach with a redhead that some coined a "gills monster"  as a searching pattern. Works amazing to troll

colin6101

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 08:35:57 PM »

Chromie for me, haven't been on a lake where it hasn't worked even when they aren't actively feeding on them. Usually if you are "searching" you would be trolling or casting patterns like leeches, scuds, dragons and such until you found feeding fish. I usually tie mine with either a white or red bead (not sure if it matters)

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 10:14:42 PM »

Nice looking chromie!!!

....... I usually tie mine with either a white or red bead (not sure if it matters)

Personally I always tie my chromies with a dark bead.
It ain't the roe bro'

bobby b

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 08:37:58 AM »

Been having a lot of success with an olive green and copper wire wrapped chironomid with a white head.

Tried maroon and various chrome ones with barely a snifff .. swapped to green and ....they love it!!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 07:56:18 AM »

increasingly the first fly people hang on the end of a leader is a chironomid regardless of what seems to be happening on the water.

I've never caught a fish on a chromie and the most consistent success I've had fishing chironomids has been with black and green patterns. Of course my success is a function of where I have fished, how deep and when.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.