Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flyline Drag Query...  (Read 6353 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Flyline Drag Query...
« on: May 05, 2017, 10:18:33 AM »

Went to rice lake for some casting practice yesterday.

When I first got there, I was able to cast 30/40' easy. After about 20 minutes of fishing, the line seemed to create so much friction in the eyes that it would not leave the rod, literally about 15' of line just wapping back and forth, even with a strong haul.

I recall this happening last year before putting the rod away for winter. I washed the line carefully with mild soap and water before heading out.

Is this a normal thing? Line is a scientific angler of some sort...

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Re: Flyline Drag Query...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 08:59:09 AM »

While I'm no great caster, I can manage 30-40' ok consistently. But once this line gets wet for a while, it just won't come off the rod, even with a strong haul, and 15-20' is about all I can coax out. I just wonder if the line gets waterlogged or something...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 01:14:15 PM »

The usual fix is to clean the line though you've done that & this sounds very unusual. It almost sounds like the line is absorbing water & swelling. It sound not absorb water or get water logged. Is it a floating line?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 02:07:08 PM »

It is a full floating line...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 02:58:24 PM »

After a bit of thought I wondered if the line swells a bit once it gets wet and the guides on your rod are the just too small. What do other folks think?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 03:53:12 PM »

The only other thing I can think of is that you may have missed an eye or two

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 06:51:34 PM »

What confuses me is that it works fine at first, but then becomes a problem. I should probably just get a different line...

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 07:38:55 PM »

Hmm - hard to say what's going on.  What kind of fly rod are you using?  Is it a fast or slow action?  What weight is the rod, and what weight is the line?  I'm wondering if you're getting enough line out on your false cast to load the rod?  Also, did you try to adjust your casting rhythm?

I've never heard of the fly line getting stuck in the guides before.  Usually when this happens to me, the line is wrapped around the rod (i.e. when I put together my fly rod in the dark or not paying attention, the line wraps around the rod).  Sometimes, when I'm standing in water (river or beach fly fishing) my fly line when I retrieve it remains in the water and the surface tension/friction will prevent the line from shooting out when I cast (this is where a stripping basket is advantageous).  But since you're on a lake this may not be an issue if you're in a float tube or you line is otherwise off the water.  Are you in a float tube or on a dock?  Does this happen to you when casting on a park (e.g. on grass)?

Anyway, these are just a few things I thought of off the top of my head.  Good luck!  Also, if you are new to fly casting I would seriously consider getting a casting lesson.  Also, don't be afraid to practice casting in a park.  I do this from time to time, and get a good laugh when some jogger running by asks me if I've had any luck.   ;D

iCemAn

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 08:43:39 PM »

What weight rod and line do you have? I'm assuming a WF floating? Couple of thoughts, some of which have been mentioned/asked already...

1) Guides clean? Pollen/dirt/algae can not only cause issues with your lines and require cleaning, but the guides can get a big gritty sometimes. I've noticed this happening on lakes like Tunkwa that have a huge algae bloom in the summer. I clean my lines and my rods a few times a year at least, and after a trip where I have noticed these things on/in the water.

2) Make sure your line isn't getting wrapped around the tip of your rod. One simple loop will create the inability to cast. It can happen some times and not notice it until you bring the rod tip closer for inspection.

3) Line on the right way? On backwards will cause issues with casting. I've had a couple come straight from the manufacturer backwards and tagged wrong on the spool and had to correct them after realizing this while fishing with them.

4) Arm fatigue/positioning. Does this happen with every rod or just this one? Has it always done this or has it just started happening recently? Arm fatigue/positioning can cause your casts to do funny things, including inability to get any distance, turn over the line or can create havoc with tailing loops.

Do you have someone else around you that can cast it for a bit to test it and see if they can replicate the issue? Have you tried casting it in a park (on grass) and see if the same issue happens? Maybe take it into your local fly shop and see they can have a look and help you determine the problem.

Good luck and hopefully you can get it sorted out!

Richard
Teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 09:35:34 PM »

Thanks Folks,

It's a 4wt Pieroway, not sure of the action, with a 5wt Scientific Angler line, not sure which type anymore.

Rod and line recently cleaned.

It's not looping around the rod tip, that would cause a sudden change. What's happening is that it's normal at first and then gradually gets worse and worse.

Fatigue is a thought, however, I'm able to do the same short casting stroke at the beginning with a sharp stop, giving a tight loop, but where you would expect the loop to unfurl and shoot some line, at a certain length it just loads the rod but won't let more line through. Like a sticky spaghetti noodle.

What I'm not hearing is 'oh, that's just this problem', so maybe the line has reached its past due date.

Trying on grass for a while is a good idea though, for one, I need more practice, for two it'll tell me if the water is getting into the line somehow...

iCemAn

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 09:37:49 PM »

How old is the line and how often do you fish with it? I typically replace my line every 2-3 years but you shouldn't have to with moderate use if you take good care of them, I just like to have fresh line and try the newest technology.
Teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 09:25:43 AM »

Line is only a s as on old, and used not all that much. I suspect it was pretty old stock when I got it...

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 07:29:27 AM »

Before you give up on the line, I assume you are fishing off the dock.  I wonder if as the line gets wet, it is picking up debris on the dock, causing you to have casting problems. 

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 11:26:37 PM »

I live nearby.  Could bring my fly rod one evening to see if it's technique or equipment based and I could also try your rod to figure out whats up.   I pm'ed my number.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 11:29:02 PM by Knnn »