Fishing in British Columbia > Members' Fishing Reports

Alouette 2017

<< < (3/15) > >>

poper:
Tryed to post a pic

Easywater:
Thought I read somewhere that there are a lot fewer kokanee in Alouette this year.

Something to do with an escape channel for Sockeye allowing the kokanee that would normally stay in the lake to leave.

MetalAndFeathers:

--- Quote from: flyrod on April 19, 2017, 06:27:45 PM ---Talked to a fellow fisherman who fished Alouette last week. He caught about an 8 lb laker, 4 kokanee and a rainbow about 2 lbs. Trolling willow leaf and worms primarily. The laker puked up a kokanee about 8 inches in length. He was surprised at hooking the laker on worms.

--- End quote ---
Lake trout or bull trout??? Any pictures?

RalphH:

--- Quote from: typhoon on April 12, 2017, 03:16:37 PM ---It is certainly not rare for lakes to create a dead layer. Almost every lake in the interior has a thermocline where fish stack up. It's why gang-trolling down the middle of the lake works.
The definition of a thermocline is stratification due to temperature difference. If Gold Creek is oxygenating the lower part of the lake then it would also prevent stratification.

--- End quote ---

from Wiki:
--- Quote ---A thermocline (sometimes metalimnion in lakes) is a thin but distinct layer in a large body of fluid (e.g. water, such as an ocean or lake, or air, such as an atmosphere) in which temperature changes more rapidly with depth than it does in the layers above or below.
--- End quote ---

I've experienced thermoclines directly by diving into some of those interior lakes in summer. At about 6 feet under the water transitions suddenly from comfortable for swimming to quite chilly which is what trout prefer if swimmers do not.

Oxygen depleted zones in lakes are not necessarily associated with thermoclines and I don't think they are common in oligotrophic (low nutrient) lakes like Alouette.

firstlight:

--- Quote from: RalphH on April 20, 2017, 06:28:57 PM ---from Wiki:
I've experienced thermoclines directly by diving into some of those interior lakes in summer. At about 6 feet under the water transitions suddenly from comfortable for swimming to quite chilly which is what trout prefer if swimmers do not.

Oxygen depleted zones in lakes are not necessarily associated with thermoclines and I don't think they are common in oligotrophic (low nutrient) lakes like Alouette.

--- End quote ---

I remember back in the day while swimming at Buntzen.
Was a huge difference in temp from your feet to your shoulders if just treading water.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version