Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Vedder boundary?  (Read 3033 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Lower Vedder boundary?
« on: March 09, 2017, 02:00:42 PM »

How close to the Fraser can you go?

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
Re: Lower Vedder boundary?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 02:03:20 PM »

look for the marker. its probably as green as the bushes around but its there.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 04:40:00 PM »

The boundary marker is really only relevant to boat anglers. To get to the confluence of the Vedder (Sumas) and Fraser Rivers on foot takes some serious bushwacking, or some serious trespassing on railway property.   

cdjk123

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 05:08:02 PM »

The boundary marker is really only relevant to boat anglers. To get to the confluence of the Vedder (Sumas) and Fraser Rivers on foot takes some serious bushwacking, or some serious trespassing on railway property.

X2. Don't bother going any lower than a 100 feet downstream of the hwy 1 bridge. Not worth the effort

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 11:19:27 PM »

X2. Don't bother going any lower than a 100 feet downstream of the hwy 1 bridge. Not worth the effort

I will disagree with you there; it can be very much worth the effort. I like fishing the river below the confluence with the Sumas. Before the fall rains come, the river above the Sumas can be very clear. But below the Sumas the river is an opaque green that is a combination of Vedder clear water and Fraser and Sumas silty water. That opaque water provides security for fish that retreat from the clearer water upstream. In my earlier days, I used to hike downstream to fish below the CN tracks. A flood tide, or slow ebb, was preferred as a strong ebb tide will suck the murky water from the Sumas and create unfishable water downstream.

cdjk123

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 11:28:49 AM »

I will disagree with you there; it can be very much worth the effort. I like fishing the river below the confluence with the Sumas. Before the fall rains come, the river above the Sumas can be very clear. But below the Sumas the river is an opaque green that is a combination of Vedder clear water and Fraser and Sumas silty water. That opaque water provides security for fish that retreat from the clearer water upstream. In my earlier days, I used to hike downstream to fish below the CN tracks. A flood tide, or slow ebb, was preferred as a strong ebb tide will suck the murky water from the Sumas and create unfishable water downstream.

*sigh* I don't think you picked up on the nuance of my comment...There's a reason I'm trying to not make that area too well known.......*nudgenudge* Not every spot needs to described in detail, even on the vedder.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 12:10:40 PM »

My bad. I was never good with subtlety and nuance.  :P

I debated not replying, but my thinking was that salmon season is 6 months away, the area is hard to access,  challenging to fish, and it wouldn't incite a stampede in Fall, 2017.

cdjk123

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 12:27:29 PM »

My bad. I was never good with subtlety and nuance.  :P

I debated not replying, but my thinking was that salmon season is 6 months away, the area is hard to access,  challenging to fish, and it wouldn't incite a stampede in Fall, 2017.

I guess nuance is hard to convey over the internet, my bad too.
See ya out there!

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 12:50:35 PM »

I suspected as much.