Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Mainland Lakes getting Stocked this week?  (Read 12088 times)

fic

• Old Timer
Lower Mainland Lakes getting Stocked this week?
« on: March 08, 2017, 08:47:46 PM »

The kids are starting spring break Monday for 2 weeks in Vancouver.

BananasQ

Re: Lower Mainland Lakes getting Stocked this week?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 09:32:40 PM »

I'd look at historical stocking reports (http://www.gofishbc.com/stocked-fish.aspx#fish-stocking) and make my own guess. But not til mid April would be where I'd put my money.  Could take them to one of the hatcheries like out in Abbotsford?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 11:42:37 PM »

Stockings are postponed until the weather and lake conditions improve.

Burbot

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 03:12:18 AM »

Too bad no move to fix Trout lake in Vancouver, Sardis Pond in Chilliwack or even Latimer lake in Surrey.  Witht he growing population we sure could use more city fisheries.....

stsfisher

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 10:24:41 AM »

We already have a good amount of stocked lakes around. The docks get busy but there are always plenty of spots around the lakes and it's not uncommon to even be alone some days. Personally I don't see why waste resources on more lakes that could be spent elsewhere. As it is there are still fish in all of the stocked lakes from last year.

Helping these lakes that were once stocked lakes would not be a case of wasting resources? For example Sardis pond was once an urban pond in Chilliwack stocked regularly that I believe was age controlled. This allowed easy access for kids and elders to participate in a resource they loved but maybe couldn't make it to some of the other lakes and rivers Chilliwack has to offer.
Many years has passed since its last stocking, probably associated with poor water conditions that in the recent past has been anything but sad. Too many ducks, geese and not enough care taken to help in flow and out flow issue creating Ph issues.

Latimer Pond is another one which has been neglected, probably more for Industrial growth than anything. I have fond memories of using my first flyrod and float tube on this lake MANY years ago. Drove through there last year and I couldn't even tell there was a lake in there anymore.

In my opinion it is never a waste of resources in establishing local fishery's for youth and elders who reside locally. You may have the luxury of being able commute ( I assume ) to these stocked lakes, but not everyone does. I totally understand things cost money, and stocking our lakes or helping our urban lakes are no exception, but some of them have certainly been forgot about and in my opinion it sure would go along way if we could reinstate some of these local urban fishery's to help us fisherman sustain our dwindling numbers.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 10:45:51 AM »

There are native lakes, but YES many were stocked.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 01:29:44 PM »

Trout are easy to catch, which is the reason make trout game fish. Carp and catfish requires long waiting and patience to catch. I guess that is why they are not appreciated here. There are plenty of carps in Deer lake. However, to catch one is not that easy.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 09:46:15 AM »

If you want to know when stocking will be done just call the Fraser Valley hatchery and ask.

I had my dad call last week and he was told March 21/22 is their projected days however lake temp could delay it further
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 06:49:22 PM »

I know I will probably be called out for HERESY .... but here goes my thoughts:

I WISH the "Landlocked lakes" were stocked with more diversity of fish.

• Bass
    Catfish
    Panfish
    Pike
    Carp

No.... I'm not trying to have the Lower Mainland overridden with "Invasive Species"....
I've been fishing for almost 50 years now in (3) provinces - BC, ONT, and Alberta.

I've seen land locked lakes that have the diversity of these fish ....become really nice Fishing Destinations for both young and old alike.

I certainly appreciate the STOCKING of RAINBOW TROUT that currently takes place. However, these are NON BREEDING FISH (TRIPLOID).  Between the Fishermen and Cormorants ... the trout get gone pretty quickly.

For CHILDREN.... it's so much better when there are NUMEROUS OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE.  They (and me...lol) Don't care what kind of fish they catch as long as they are catching.

MILL LAKE has lots of diversity.  Wish the others were similar.

Just my thoughts!

ps: I will always here from those who will say that: "The Trout are a native species and the others are not".  Well ... let's make it clear that the "Trout" have been introduced to these lakes and are NOT NATIVE to them. The other species suggested.... seem to be able to reproduce on their own..  and create a little eco-system of their own.

Why don't you talk to dfo and see what they say.

RG

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 08:49:18 PM »

I know I will probably be called out for HERESY .... but here goes my thoughts:

I WISH the "Landlocked lakes" were stocked with more diversity of fish.

• Bass
    Catfish
    Panfish
    Pike
    Carp

No.... I'm not trying to have the Lower Mainland overridden with "Invasive Species"....
I've been fishing for almost 50 years now in (3) provinces - BC, ONT, and Alberta.

I've seen land locked lakes that have the diversity of these fish ....become really nice Fishing Destinations for both young and old alike.

I certainly appreciate the STOCKING of RAINBOW TROUT that currently takes place. However, these are NON BREEDING FISH (TRIPLOID).  Between the Fishermen and Cormorants ... the trout get gone pretty quickly.

For CHILDREN.... it's so much better when there are NUMEROUS OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE.  They (and me...lol) Don't care what kind of fish they catch as long as they are catching.

MILL LAKE has lots of diversity.  Wish the others were similar.

Just my thoughts!

ps: I will always here from those who will say that: "The Trout are a native species and the others are not".  Well ... let's make it clear that the "Trout" have been introduced to these lakes and are NOT NATIVE to them. The other species suggested.... seem to be able to reproduce on their own..  and create a little eco-system of their own.

There are native species other than fish that inhabit our lakes, our amphibian friends (some red and blue listed) might not fair so well...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 08:43:09 AM »

many of our local lakes have some of those species already - true catfish (there are stinging brown bullhead)   and pike (excepting Mill Lake) are the only species that are absent.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 12:06:51 PM »

and pike (excepting Mill Lake) are the only species that are absent.
;D ;D ;D

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 07:36:58 PM »

you mean northern pike.....like those up north. ive caught bass, sunfish....the odd crappie and trout out of mill lake. Never heard of pike caught out of there...got any proof like a pic.  ::)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 08:46:39 AM »

you mean northern pike.....like those up north. ive caught bass, sunfish....the odd crappie and trout out of mill lake. Never heard of pike caught out of there...got any proof like a pic.  ::)

Good grief, please don't get this conversation started again  ::)

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=36329.0

Besides, I think Rieber proved it definitively already. What "it" means is open to interpretation though ;)

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 08:49:40 AM by Blood_Orange »

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 05:28:37 PM »

Just like the Lake Trout in Alouette Lake.