Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bottom Bouncing for Pinks in the Fraser this year?  (Read 5974 times)

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: Bottom Bouncing for Pinks in the Fraser this year?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 11:12:33 AM »

This topic needs to be cleaned up.

There is nothing unethical or unsportsman about bottom bouncing.  It is a method that has been, and will continue to be, use for many different fisheries.

The issue is flossing - long leaders in dirty waters targeting a species that does not aggressively bite on bait or artificial offerings.

Flossing can also be achieved effectively with fly gear and is done using split shot on long leaders or lead core tips as I have witnessed on the Skeena.

SFOTF has an episode of this exact method for Salmon and the occasional Steelhead.

sbc hris

Re: Bottom Bouncing for Pinks in the Fraser this year?
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 01:03:23 PM »

That's impressive. With the lack of current you would have to be at the outflow but the Pike in my head hold at the West end of the lake where the baby ducklings are.

Some magazines still state that there are Steelhead in Mill Lake. That would be impressive as well. Maybe you'll get a Steelhead before that Pike comes along.

One can floss in still waters. I just add a small corkie, and a little powerbait to the fly for buoyancy, then do a painfully slow retrieve. Pike have big teeth, easy to floss.
Don't get too many steelhead that way though.
I hear the steelhead also prey on the baby ducklings from time to time.