Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bottom Bouncing for Pinks in the Fraser this year?  (Read 5972 times)

Rieber

• Old Timer
Bottom Bouncing for Pinks in the Fraser this year?
« on: March 07, 2017, 01:28:23 PM »

Bottom bouncing for Pinks this year in the Fraser? Will long leaders be allowed and will fishermen stand there flossing until they "accidentally" hook their Spring?

This is going to be a good test of the selective fishing guidelines.

Of course you don't need to bb for Pinks as it's more fun to catch them on lures and flies but you know people are going to bounce.

Personally, I'm really looking forward (praying that my shoulder permits me) to use the two-hand fly rod for them.

psd1179

• Old Timer
Re: Bottom Bouncing for Pinks in the Fraser this year?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 02:07:43 PM »

What is difference between bottom bouncing and bar fishing with smaller sinker?

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 02:34:56 PM »

What is difference between bottom bouncing and bar fishing with smaller sinker?

The opportunity to foul hook or snag the fish is dramatically increased when bottom bouncing. It used to be a popular choice for targeting salmon in the Fraser but times have changed. Now it's frowned upon - not illegal yet - but strongly requested to not bottom bounce. (I'm sure someone will be quick to correct me if I'm wrong)

Bar fishing is done with a shorter leader and much heavier weight to hold steady on the bottom. Fish comes along and senses the vibration/disturbance of the lure or the smell of the bait and then takes the offering.

With bottom bouncing you are dragging the bottom with attempt to hook a salmon against it's will.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 02:46:29 PM by Rieber »

baowu2

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 09:59:54 PM »

you kidding me?! why even bother bring up the topic lol!

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 05:26:31 AM »

Interesting...does the subject matter trouble you? Are you insecure in your feelings of Pink Salmon or do the thoughts of not being able to cleanly catch a Pink Salmon on a fly or lure haunt you so much that you try to cover up any discussions on the subject?

Well, get over it buddy, Pink Salmon are on their way and on display this year will be the good and bad angling practices associated with it.

It comes down to what method you chose to use and how you chose to get your message across to other anglers.

Regardless - this is a fishing forum where you bring up fishing topics. If you look at the flower clipping websites there will be no discussions on Bottom Bouncing on the Fraser.

You have a nice day.  ;D

Jk47

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 06:48:08 AM »

Are you insecure in your feelings of Pink Salmon or do the thoughts of not being able to cleanly catch a Pink Salmon on a fly or lure haunt you so much that you try to cover up any discussions on the subject?

I almost choked on my cereal! Lol no bouncing for this guy. Pinks are easy enough to catch with fly/lure, I don't need  to class myself in the ranks of snag happy mouth breathers. Not for Pinks. Adams Sockeye, on the other hand..... ;D ;D (I joke, I joke)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 06:51:16 AM by Jk47 »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 06:55:02 AM »

x2
Reiber, what is your infatuation with snagging?
Do you have ulterior motives or are you just trolling?
Snagging is not fishing so don't call it such.

What method are you using to "get your message across to other angers"? Your original post is certainly not a good way.

Have you witnessed a significant amount of pink snagging? I haven't.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 07:06:20 AM »

x2
Reiber, what is your infatuation with snagging?
Do you have ulterior motives or are you just trolling?
Snagging is not fishing so don't call it such.

What method are you using to "get your message across to other angers"? Your original post is certainly not a good way.

Have you witnessed a significant amount of pink snagging? I haven't.

I fly fish now. I haven't bbounced for years. I don't have an infatuation with snagging at all - I'm against it. But I do like to troll now and then when fishing is slow.  ;D

Let's get this straight, the bottom bouncing era in local salmon angling history has almost been phased out. We're just seeing the tail ends of it. Don't hide from the fact that it was a snapshot in history here that we had a chance to participate in and hopefully see the end of it. Do people still bottom bounce - of course they do but that number is dropping every season. The best thing for eradicating the practice of bottom bouncing was the closure of sockeye salmon harvesting for recreational fishermen. When you combine that with regulations that ask you to participate in limiting leader lengths (or however they worded it) and the pressure from fishing groups and individuals.

But let's say we magically saw an abundance of sockeye in the system again, and they "allowed" the long leader swing practice for sockeye only - would I go out there and stand side by side once again with the bouncers - today, I think I might. If the same abundance of sockeye presented itself and the long leader swing was definitely worded unlawfull, then I would not fish that way but would select fly fishing as my option for sockeye. Or Safeway, Save-On Foods or whichever supermarket had them on sale. I'm almost at a point where I'm not even going to buy the salmon stamp with my angling license anymore. I'm just not really into this salmon thing anymore. I honestly prefer fair-weather stillwater fishing.

That's where I'm at - you don't have to be on the same page.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 07:29:28 AM by Rieber »

Jk47

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 07:18:03 AM »

In the short time I've lurked this forum I've learned to take EVERYTHING Rieber says with a grain of coarse non-iodized salt

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 07:25:57 AM »

I fly fish now. I haven't bbounced for years. I don't have an infatuation with snagging at all - I'm against it. But I do like to troll now and then when fishing is slow.  ;D
That's odd. This thread implies that you will partake if sockeye are open.
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=40697.0

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 07:36:00 AM »

That's odd. This thread implies that you will partake if sockeye are open.
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=40697.0

Yes - as I was typing an edit to my earlier post - you posted this. Right now I would participate in a long leader Sockeye catchment if the season and the method was open to do so. If long leaders are deemed unlawful, then I would select my flyrod to target sockeye.

Look, I really enjoyed the times I had bottom bouncing for Sockeye and Springs. That was a blast. But that chapter of local angling is pretty much closed now forever. I can honestly say it will be best if the long leader era does close forever. There is no mixing of words here - if it opens I will go. If it stays closed or finally becomes unlawful I will be satisfied - sad in a way, but satisfied.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 07:37:23 AM »

In the short time I've lurked this forum I've learned to take EVERYTHING Rieber says with a grain of coarse non-iodized salt

you don't have to be selective. Any old salt will do.  ::)

sbc hris

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 08:53:25 AM »

I prefer to bottom bounce for pike in Mill lake, with traditional spey flies.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 09:06:22 AM »

I prefer to bottom bounce for pike in Mill lake, with traditional spey flies.

That's impressive. With the lack of current you would have to be at the outflow but the Pike in my head hold at the West end of the lake where the baby ducklings are.

Some magazines still state that there are Steelhead in Mill Lake. That would be impressive as well. Maybe you'll get a Steelhead before that Pike comes along.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 09:09:38 AM by Rieber »

chironomidking

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 10:36:32 AM »

This topic needs to be cleaned up.

There is nothing unethical or unsportsman about bottom bouncing.  It is a method that has been, and will continue to be, use for many different fisheries.

The issue is flossing - long leaders in dirty waters targeting a species that does not aggressively bite on bait or artificial offerings.

Flossing can also be achieved effectively with fly gear and is done using split shot on long leaders or lead core tips as I have witnessed on the Skeena.