Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vintage Moby Dick salmon lure  (Read 4440 times)

rockfisher

vintage Moby Dick salmon lure
« on: March 04, 2017, 08:19:29 PM »

Moby Dick salmon plug? anybody have any info on this lure ' a whale of a lure, it says and lists Vernon and Vancouver
P.O. and manufacturing. I couldn't find anything at all, thought somebody might have some info.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 10:24:21 PM by rockfisher »

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: salmon lure
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 06:07:06 PM »

Post a pic?

Maybe Lyman...they are from Kelowna.

rockfisher

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 07:43:55 PM »

I have a Lyman and it is made of wood, this looks more like a Mac squid. it is well made and a nice box so I am surprised
that there isn't a ton of them, especially around here. will post a picture later on in the week and you will see what I mean.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 03:58:05 PM »

I remember that back in the 60s and 70s my Dad's tackle box contained several Moby Dick plugs. They were metallic, curved and had spots along the body. They imitated a wounded fish and were very effective to catch pike, musky and walleye with. Never used them for salmon, but I am sure they would work like a charm in the chuck.
Here's one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/S1114-Moby-Dick-metal-unique-rare-fishing-lure-/222407895813?hash=item33c88b2b05:g:PtEAAOSwQYZW0mP~

The lure you are referring to is probably different, but the concept is probably the same.

rockfisher

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 08:40:52 PM »

the lure I have is a traditional plug milo, judging by quality you'd think be lots out there. I asked one of the moderators to post
pictures for me so hopefully people can see some more B.C. history.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 08:57:37 PM »

obie1fish

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 09:49:49 PM »

I wonder if there's any connection to a Mac's Squid?

rockfisher

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 08:24:19 PM »

thanks for posting a picture Damien, very good of you. it is very, very, similar to a mac's squid except a wider slant without foil
at top of plug. maybe some association with Mac's or patent infringement which might explain not many being around. the side of
the box graphic's is cool, shows a spouting sperm whale and is one of the nicest plug boxes I've seen. checked an unboxed Moby Dick (only other) and in the front scoop of the plug says USA then checked a Mac's and it was exactly the same so.....Hmmm.

rockfisher

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 08:37:23 PM »

so after looking at some mac's squids on ebay  the lure in the Moby Dick box is of Mac's origin. I am not sure if  they bought
lures and remarketed them like Gibbs- Martin or when Mac's ceased to be bought up inventory and rebranded.

rockfisher

Re: vintage Moby Dick salmon lure
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 10:41:49 PM »

so I chatted with online an author of more than a few books on vintage west coast plugs and spoons and the Moby Dick
lure was made in Vernon. evidently Mac's squid was not patented and free to copy. Lyman actually produced this same squid lure from
1965 to 70. I opened the box today and it had the proper color model stamped inside and a really nice brochure with a Vernon 
phone#. Russ had no idea who made the Moby and when, neither did Lyman. by the way I will be buying some new Lyman plugs,
I have heard nothing but very positive reviews about them. my next step is contacting the oldest tackle shop in Vernon to see if they
have any info.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 09:10:19 AM »

--maybe Panco as they made and imported many different lures over the years based in Vernon . Guys at kencraft vernon may know.

rockfisher

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 04:42:55 PM »

tried Kencraft, they didn't know. Panco's phone # doesn't work, out of business?