Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Run 2017  (Read 260164 times)

bravo252

Re: Pink Run 2017
« Reply #645 on: September 06, 2017, 08:32:23 PM »

Yes!! Finally we are getting some fresh sockeyes!!! May be not.... badly  wounded sockeyes may be.....

Or Should I say fataly damaged sockeyes??

spoiler

« Reply #646 on: September 07, 2017, 07:04:56 AM »

it's pretty simple!
if people quit buying salmon from the First Nations there will be no market!
It is illegal for First Nations to sell their food fish and most people don't realize that.
If you quit buying them then maybe the First Nations will actually just catch enough salmon for their own consumption.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #647 on: September 07, 2017, 07:23:52 AM »

I cruised up the Fraser with a small detour through the canal just to check things out. 3 small boats,  2 guide boats, I saw a few schools but no big numbers. It's funny what catch and release does to people. This time two years ago the canal was packed from sun up to sun down. Even during the week.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #648 on: September 07, 2017, 08:05:43 AM »

I was out at Sand Heads last night, Pinks everywhere, Tons of schools jumping and finning.  Expect good number in the river in the next few days especially if we get rain!

Drewhill

« Reply #649 on: September 07, 2017, 11:04:10 AM »

The minimal rain they're expecting won't push any in.

I was out at Sand Heads last night, Pinks everywhere, Tons of schools jumping and finning.  Expect good number in the river in the next few days especially if we get rain!

Tangles

« Reply #650 on: September 07, 2017, 01:28:13 PM »

The minimal rain they're expecting won't push any in.

They have been pushing in on every tide for awhile now.
Whonnock test net had 132 pinks on Sep 3, meanwhile we keep watching from the sidelines.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #651 on: September 07, 2017, 03:41:32 PM »

They have been pushing in on every tide for awhile now.
Whonnock test net had 132 pinks on Sep 3, meanwhile we keep watching from the sidelines.

yesterday it was 42. The 2nd and 3rd were the only days over 60 excepting Aug 25th which was 61.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Tangles

« Reply #652 on: September 07, 2017, 04:42:55 PM »

By comparison in 2015 for the month of August they never hit more than 34 and for September they never hit the triple digits, so I'm not exactly sure what kind of a picture you are trying to paint Ralph?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #653 on: September 07, 2017, 05:51:30 PM »

looking at one or 2 days and declaring some sort of abundance can be deceiving. You want to compare '15 to '17 the give us the full catch for the year to date in both cases.

Wait I can do that for you; total for '15 to 6-Sept was 669 this year 727, a difference of 60 fish. What can you make of that? Not very much.

It kind of gets me is the adolescent whining and crying about supposed abundance and the lack of fishing opportunity when it's very clear the return is low, supposedly lower than 2015 which was the lowest return of the previous 10 cycles or more.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #654 on: September 07, 2017, 06:26:11 PM »

It kind of gets me is the adolescent whining and crying about supposed abundance and the lack of fishing opportunity when it's very clear the return is low, supposedly lower than 2015 which was the lowest return of the previous 10 cycles or more.

I don't think anyone is declaring an abundance but merely stating that if 2015 was open, that this year should be open as well.  This was the first year i was going to fish the Fraser with my 2 year old son. Hell it was the first year I was planning to fish the Fraser since I was 10 and flossed for sockeye in the late 90's.

For young fishermen like myself, we have not enjoyed the opportunities that the fishermen of the last 50 years have had to rape and pillage the resource.

So yeah i'm going to whine a bit because i'm a Millennial and that's what we do

Birkenhead

« Reply #655 on: September 07, 2017, 07:58:07 PM »

For young fishermen like myself, we have not enjoyed the opportunities that the fishermen of the last 50 years have had to rape and pillage the resource.

Thus far, the DFO, FN, the Commies and now the Baby Boomers are all being blamed for the decline of the salmon stocks. Who is next on the blame list, Simon Fraser?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #656 on: September 07, 2017, 09:00:21 PM »

Thus far, the DFO, FN, the Commies and now the Baby Boomers are all being blamed for the decline of the salmon stocks. Who is next on the blame list, Simon Fraser?

I'm pretty sure the Baby Boomers still run all thoes corporations ;) lol

Jk47

« Reply #657 on: September 07, 2017, 09:29:28 PM »

Bingo. Greedy sons of b's screwed it all up for their own grandchildren. Real nice thanks a lot pops

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #658 on: September 08, 2017, 12:45:47 AM »

Bingo. Greedy sons of b's screwed it all up for their own grandchildren. Real nice thanks a lot pops

You are welcome, son. Next time you check your Facebook account on your smartphone, buy your life-saving medication, get a cheap plane ticket to go to Vegas or Puerto Vallarta in just a few hours, crash your car head-on because you are texting behind the wheel but live to tell the story because of the deployed air bags, remember it was all us pops who made that possible.   ;)

Go now and keep working those two or three part time jobs with no benefits that barely cover your rent (because you will never own your own home) and your junk food (because with three jobs you simply have no time to cook).

And forget the inheritance money as I am spending it on brandy, Cuban cigars and women your age and younger. :P

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #659 on: September 08, 2017, 06:04:01 AM »

You forgot about CPP and how you're making sure there will be none left for millenials  :P