Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Run 2017  (Read 260211 times)

lapa

Re: Pink Run 2017
« Reply #405 on: August 15, 2017, 01:12:40 PM »

Oh and Furry was quiet so quiet on Monday that people started to leave before 8am. I had one pink follow up to shore which surprised a buddy's friend cause he was like "What the heck is that?!!?" and saw the open mouth trying to bite my spoon.
  It was the same today. Saw only one fish on beach and 40+ people fishing.

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #406 on: August 15, 2017, 01:50:41 PM »

So it sounds like things have really died down after a short period of being decent. That's my experience too, after three outings at FC over the last week.

Is the Howe Sound/Squamish run done for this cycle?

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #407 on: August 15, 2017, 02:06:31 PM »

Loads of fish in the howe sound, not by furry creek though

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #408 on: August 15, 2017, 02:09:12 PM »

Took a quick look at the lower during my travels in Richmond today.
Visibility is surprisingly good - about 4 feet but it was near the top of the high tide.

Heard a rumour that the lower will open for pinks next week.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #409 on: August 15, 2017, 02:14:21 PM »

the river is still fishing well - I am just back from half a day.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #410 on: August 15, 2017, 05:36:57 PM »

Loads of fish in the howe sound, not by furry creek though

That seems to be the case for Monday. Furry Creek was dead even for those venturing it out 5am. We didn't show up that crazy early but heard next to nothing result from most frustrated early risers about the morning bite when they gave up and returned to the parking area. Then we went to Squamish River and had a blast on fly. Most guys around us limited out and many just did c&r. Talked to more people showing up later at the river saying they came from FC and had nothing all day. We headed back to FC on the way home and didn't even see any body with fish nor any fish surfacing at rising tide. So FC was totally dead the whole day. What a pity there this year. More misses than hits there these days. Wonder where the fish at the river came from? Did they really avoid FC side of Howe Sound this year? It is beginning to sound more likely the case. Blame it on climate change, lol.

BananasQ

« Reply #411 on: August 15, 2017, 10:09:00 PM »

That seems to be the case for Monday. Furry Creek was dead even for those venturing it out 5am. We didn't show up that crazy early but heard next to nothing result from most frustrated early risers about the morning bite when they gave up and returned to the parking area. Then we went to Squamish River and had a blast on fly. Most guys around us limited out and many just did c&r. Talked to more people showing up later at the river saying they came from FC and had nothing all day. We headed back to FC on the way home and didn't even see any body with fish nor any fish surfacing at rising tide. So FC was totally dead the whole day. What a pity there this year. More misses than hits there these days. Wonder where the fish at the river came from? Did they really avoid FC side of Howe Sound this year? It is beginning to sound more likely the case. Blame it on climate change, lol.

Just did Furry Creek - unless something enormous changes, that'll be me done for the season there. Fished the low tide from 6 - 8 pm. Not many anglers and even less fish. Even the seal looked pissed off lol.

243Pete

« Reply #412 on: August 15, 2017, 10:35:27 PM »

Bingo over the last 5 years the have become completely habituated off fishermen. They key in on the boats fishing and will follow the boat around too. Best you can do when your out there is get by another boat and then speed up and hope you tag the other boat with the seal.

Ha! That sounds like a bad game of tag, but in all seriousness I feel that there are way more seals than before and they are getting used to trying to steal fish from anglers as it's way easier than chasing down a healthy one.
  It was the same today. Saw only one fish on beach and 40+ people fishing.

Yeah, took a quick look at the am but headed up to Squamish instead.

Maybe cause there are such few numbers of fish that they are heading straight in instead of staging at the mouth of the river(s)? Cause I find it a bit weird to be catching chrome bright fish either at the mouth of the Mam or half way to the Chek. Ussually in the past I've always remembered them with a bit of color like a bit of green-ish to brown-ish, even the chrome colored females are plump with eggs and look almost ready to start dropping within a few days.

With Furry creek this is a bit normal, sometimes they are there and sometimes they aren't, possibly because they are circling around Howe sound and will eventually make their way back to Furry creek as I haven't seen any fish push into that creek. But the numbers aren't big like they used to be in the past and with more pressure from people and maybe a large presense of a seal population that seems to be increasing every year, maybe they are more cautious as well as I haven't had any pink "slam" my spoons or flies like they have in the past seasons, I've had some fish hit so hard that they've pulled my rod tip from being angled 45 degrees up to straight out on more than several occasions in past seasons but none have done that this year and I've been fairly lucky to get into fish on most trips out there. Moth of the time it's just light little taps and bumps and generally I only hook then when slowly reeling in, just wait till the rod bends or there is enough tension to set the hook.
Maybe climate change and the number of fish have changed their behaviour?

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #413 on: August 16, 2017, 08:11:06 AM »

A couple days ago Furry Creek was dead slow but my buddy who was out trolling and casting around defense island and mcnab creek (across the sound) hooked into ALOT of fish. I'm positive these fish are just swimming on the other side of the sound, maybe following the water that comes out of the squamish river?

Squamish river has dropped like 5-6 feet and the visibily by mouth of mamquam is good around 1-2 feet of vis.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #414 on: August 16, 2017, 08:12:57 AM »

I am also noticing a lot of bright chrome fish in the river this season and also at FC. They don't seem to be doing too many laps around Howe Sound, may be because of the high water level, or they don't have to line up to get in to the river at the mouth so they just go straight in.

This first photo is Furry Creek Fish dated August 15th, 2015.  I am betting all of the fish you are getting are brighter like the second picture which was taken at the Squamish River a few days ago.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #415 on: August 16, 2017, 10:01:49 AM »

Did anyone else notice the 1500 "other species" count in the San Juan Sockeye test fishery for Aug 12?

Typo? Herring? Tuna? Mackerel?

Good numbers of pinks there yesterday...

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #416 on: August 16, 2017, 10:31:59 AM »

Did anyone else notice the 1500 "other species" count in the San Juan Sockeye test fishery for Aug 12?

Typo? Herring? Tuna? Mackerel?

Good numbers of pinks there yesterday...
I am guessing Mackerel.  Sure seems like a lot of Fraser Pinks are showing up.  May be it'll be more than the 8 million pre-season prediction.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #417 on: August 16, 2017, 04:15:46 PM »

I am also noticing a lot of bright chrome fish in the river this season and also at FC. They don't seem to be doing too many laps around Howe Sound, may be because of the high water level, or they don't have to line up to get in to the river at the mouth so they just go straight in.

This first photo is Furry Creek Fish dated August 15th, 2015.  I am betting all of the fish you are getting are brighter like the second picture which was taken at the Squamish River a few days ago.

Last 2 trips - one last week, on this week, I've hooked a dozen or better in 4 or 5 hours. So far very few females. Only one fish yesterday either landed or that I got a good look at was a doe. That's not unusual in my experience. The males seem a bit larger than the last couple of cycles. The one I killed yesterday was 22 inches. I filleted it at home and both fillets were about 550 grams with the belly fins cutoff. That's a good sized fish for the Squamish. The doe I landed was a good size. Bigger fish make for more eggs and fry. Let's hope nature is compensating best it can for the low return.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 04:18:10 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #418 on: August 16, 2017, 04:20:44 PM »

That suggests to me that there are still a significant number of fish to come.

It is very typical for the males to come in first and setup the redd/nest and the females to follow.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #419 on: August 16, 2017, 06:16:13 PM »

Last 2 trips - one last week, on this week, I've hooked a dozen or better in 4 or 5 hours. So far very few females. Only one fish yesterday either landed or that I got a good look at was a doe. That's not unusual in my experience. The males seem a bit larger than the last couple of cycles. The one I killed yesterday was 22 inches. I filleted it at home and both fillets were about 550 grams with the belly fins cutoff. That's a good sized fish for the Squamish. The doe I landed was a good size. Bigger fish make for more eggs and fry. Let's hope nature is compensating best it can for the low return.
Can you really tell small males with no hump from females from the outside?  Isn't it possible some of those small fish you released are males?  The 2 fish i caught at Furry Creek this season look the same except only 1 had eggs.