Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Run 2017  (Read 260191 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Pink Run 2017
« Reply #285 on: August 07, 2017, 10:42:55 AM »

Anyone know what the LIMIT is on Seagulls?

One per day. You must stop fishing once your limit is attained. :)

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #286 on: August 07, 2017, 11:35:59 AM »

Lots of fish rolling at furry, 20 fish between 100 guys, very tight lipped

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #287 on: August 07, 2017, 01:02:55 PM »

I believe the success rate has more to do with "presentation" than the colour in your example.  There are times when switching up colour can make a difference.  But I've found that flies tend to outproduce gear for pink salmon in general.  By presentation, I not only mean the colour and size of the fly/lure, but how it behaves in the water.  The fly line with the right sink tip can put the fly right in the zone and keep it there.  This can be a disadvantage too when the fish get so concentrated that the fly snags fish on every cast.  Then I'll adjust by using a lighter tip, and/or starting a retrieve earlier in the drift so the fly cannot sink too fast.  I've picked up lots of fish that will chase down the fly this way.

Speaking of "tips" - have you tried flies under a float?  This can be deadly for pinks.  I would recommend flies that are on the sparser side with a bit of contrast.  Pink of course is a great colour choice.  Chartreuse is another good colour.  Remember, you don't have to be "fly fishing" to be successful with flies.  Good luck and have fun!
What you said certainly makes a lot of sense. I do cast and retrieve my lure out of the traveling lane.  I have tried float fishing jigs, but not flies, is that the same thing? I find I just have more confidence in casting and retrieve lures so I seem to go back to it a lot.

Maybe that was you beside me yesterday...? I fished pink buggers and muddlers and did not get much at all... switched to Chartreuse and got one on the second cast ... got 4 in a row shortly after.. 4 casts 4 fish on. Guy beside me switched too, and sure enough he was getting one after another. Maybe just just coincidence/timing.... but the same is true for most fishing..if something is not producing, switch it up.

I always find I do so much better fishing Pinks on the fly.... I bring a gear rod too sometimes but mostly it goes unused.

Were you wearing a pale salmon red hat and then fished Furry Creek in front of the Townhomes later in the morning?  If so, then yes.

I did mention earier in this post that green generally works best for me on the Squamish river simply because that colour shows better in the silty conditions we get there.   I don't know why smaller is better but small flies or spinners do better for me there as well - I really don't know why, maybe the feeding instinct is turned off in rivers so they are less inclined to go for large things.

I always go fishing with a bunch of options.  Typically I show up with both fly and gear fishing options and I use both.  I also make sure I have flies and spinners available in various sizes and colors.  If I am not getting anything I keep switching up until I find something that works.  I believe I have tried everything on the Squamish river and I would say it is generally true that green flies either fly fished or under a float work best on that system (..not necessarily true elsewhere -  I do better with pink in the salt and I do better with spoons and spinners on the Fraser).

Also, keeping things really really slow seems to be important there too.  Keep things moving as slow as possible without actually snagging the bottom gives them more time to see what is put in front of them - the water clarity is always a challenge on that system at this time of year.

I will definite bring some green spoons to try out next weekend.  I always used Hot Pink and Red on all the other rivers with success.

It was like that yesterday as well.  May be it's because of the bright sun light conditions. We need thicker forest fire smoke or dark clouds to turn the bite on.  Probably first and last light you'll do well as long as a school is swimming by.

TimL

« Reply #288 on: August 07, 2017, 01:11:45 PM »

I agree..I was there just now..fishing very spotty..again most caught on the fly. Saw a guy foul hook a pink and a seal came up and grabbed his fish..seal won and was holding up the fish in triumph..was having a good laugh lol Heading to the river now.

fossil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #289 on: August 07, 2017, 02:53:35 PM »

seal took two fish from me today,they even waited my playing until fish is tired... Hook 4 just landed 1. Fishing is slower than last two days.

Saw a whale far away.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #290 on: August 07, 2017, 03:16:23 PM »

Been up to the Squamish a couple times since Friday.

Numbers are showing more.  With lots more to come.
The males are mostly still chrome with little to no Humps showing yet.

Flys are still producing more than anything else. As mentioned, green works well ... but cant go wrong with the traditional pink.

Lots more FISH to ARRIVE! (Season is really only about 1 week behind).  When there are no "Zombies or Humpy's" around..... that means way more fish to come.

POSTING REPORTS:

* I personally hope that THOUSANDS of FAMILIES go out and enjoy the FISHERY.  This isnt exactly a secret "Steel Head Hole" we are talking about.  The more RECREATIONAL FISHERMEN in BC who get a chance to get out and ENJOY the FISHERY..... the more people who will SUPPORT the RECREATIONAL FISHERY!  This is one of the only remaining abundant fisheries that give the "Average person" a chance to really catch a nice fish (Especially Kids and Newcomers). I totally disagree with "ANYONE" who thinks likewise.  In order to build a sport, one must have passionate and engaging participants. 

SEAGULL CAUGHT! (lol)   On Friday Morning was casting out and caught a SeaGull.  The hook didnt get in, just line wrapped around the wing.  I was amazed at how CALM the seagull was. Didnt even try to bite me once or move away. Just sat patiently on the ground as i unwrapped the line.

Anyone know what the LIMIT is on Seagulls?

No one said the Squamish was a "secret". Nor did I say don't post reports.  I just suggested posting in the proper area of the forum and be sensible about what you post.  Anyone is able to read it including those you are trying to help.  Posting the specific locations of where the fish are being caught may not be a wise thing to do.  Posting advice on how to catch these fish is generally welcome and encouraged. 

About 12 years ago I participated in a workshop with Rodney put on by Freshwater Fisheries.  As a stakeholder, I was asked to provide my thoughts on how we could increase angler participation especially with the younger crowd.  They had noticed that license sales and free licenses obtained had decreased especially with the younger age groups.  Many of the learn to fish programs and free fishing days were borne out of information gathered from the workshop.  If you think I dont care about growing the sport you couldn't be more wrong. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:30:08 PM by Stratocaster »

dobrolub

« Reply #291 on: August 07, 2017, 06:21:17 PM »

With a weaker / later run, limited fishing opportunities and people hogging a good spot all day long "killing & releasing" don't expect young people to get "the bug" because connecting with a fish is unlikely in those circumstances. If people felt obliged to leave after retaining their limit that would go a long way towards making the fishery available to more people. I see fish hooked into belly, back, tail and than 'released'. All of these is being done by fishermen who already retained their limit. This needs to change, because one fish a day limit means you harm no more than one fish.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:22:52 PM by dobrolub »

bobby b

« Reply #292 on: August 07, 2017, 06:38:52 PM »

I did well today on the Squamish ....  again, on Chartreuse...

Fished 2:30-5:30
Water seemed lower today to me ... def has gone, just slightly but, progressively lower at the spots I been fishing, since Sat.
 Water still coloured ... not too bad tho

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #293 on: August 07, 2017, 08:52:58 PM »

My apologies if you took my post out of context. Was not meant in any way to be a personal implication.

It was a generalization of the "Pink Salmon's Run" importance for promotion to Young & New Anglers.
Everyone should be made aware and welcomed to enjoy.  "Catching Fish" is the Strongest single thing needed to "Convert" new fishermen.  If they are'nt put onto fish immediately..... there simply is no interest.

In some Urban Centres they fill "Swimming Pools" with fresh water and have Fishing Introductions. Great way to put kids onto fish in a controlled local environment.

I firmly believe that much more can be done with existing Urban Lakes to improve the "Catching Ratio". I appreciate Fresh Water Societies stockings..... but these "Sterilized Trout" are not offering enough activity.  The species need to be more diverse.  I've seen people go for hours / days without catching anything. That's a sure way to kill any future enthusiasm.

More Groups, Clubs .... the DFO, BC Government should be promoting the PINK FISHERY to all.
It's their for the Taking.

1000's more anglers can be created every 2 years.

Funniest thing is this: "THE GONG SHOW" is what truly creates the most fishermen.
Have we Forgotten how great the once mighty SOCKEYE FISHERY once was?

Thousands of new people out catching..... and anticipating further events.

Many continued on into a life long passion and pursue other fishing.  Yes... there is a lot of Questionable methods.... but no one can deny the significance of these "Regular" bonanzas.  I'm surprised they dont make "FAMILY FISHING DAYS" during the big runs.

Many fishermen do "Complain" when there are the "Gong Shows".... This is the TIME for "Experts" to be teaching and sharing out on the waters.  I see a lot of guys and gals letting others land fish, show them some pointers ...  share in the experience.  Best TEACHERS there are! 

That's what PINK SEASON is all about!

No worries,  I admire your passion for this fishery.  I don't think all the reports would have had much of an impact in past pink cycles because other fishing options were available but this year with the Fraser closed and the cap just merely a trickle I'm afraid of the Squamish becoming a gong show like the Fraser is during the sockeye season.  Maybe I'm just overreacting a bit.  It was as busy as I've seen on the Squamish on Saturday but it was civilized for the most part.  I haven't seen any bouncing Bettie's out yet so that's a good thing.

TimL

« Reply #294 on: August 07, 2017, 09:54:37 PM »

No love for me on the Squamish  :( Fished from 1:30-5:30..very slow where I was with only 4-5 fish caught among 40-50 people. I did see a group bottom bouncing today with their betties and extra long leaders but all I saw them catch was....bottom.  :P
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 10:00:16 PM by TimL »

bobby b

« Reply #295 on: August 08, 2017, 08:08:52 AM »

No love for me on the Squamish  :( Fished from 1:30-5:30..very slow where I was with only 4-5 fish caught among 40-50 people. I did see a group bottom bouncing today with their betties and extra long leaders but all I saw them catch was....bottom.  :P

Really ... I had 4-5 fish in the first hour..... prob had 12-15 total.
 Got a Jack Sping too😃!

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #296 on: August 08, 2017, 09:12:44 AM »

Really ... I had 4-5 fish in the first hour..... prob had 12-15 total.
 Got a Jack Sping too😃!
Were the other people fishing next to you having similar success?

bobby b

« Reply #297 on: August 08, 2017, 10:50:42 AM »

One guy above me was.... not many others were

bobby b

« Reply #298 on: August 08, 2017, 10:52:16 AM »

When i was leaving I had a few people come up to see what fly i was using.. a green bead head muddler

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #299 on: August 08, 2017, 11:00:56 AM »

When i was leaving I had a few people come up to see what fly i was using.. a green bead head muddler
Cool, I can't wait to try out some green spoons.