Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Run 2017  (Read 260177 times)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: Pink Run 2017
« Reply #270 on: August 05, 2017, 10:45:07 PM »

Thanks for the great report glad to see you and your wife got your limit each fast!. Don't ever feel like you shouldn't give reports after all that's why most are here. Everyone seems to have an insatiable appetite for information from here but then don't share!

Thanks again!

Umm.  There's a reason why there is a reports section in the forum.  Somehow people here fail to comprehend that.  So they start posting reports for everyone to see.  Even for those who just lurk and contribute ZERO to this forum.  Post reports all you want but do it the reports section where I believe people need to a certain number of posts to access. 

Drewhill

« Reply #271 on: August 05, 2017, 10:48:14 PM »

Umm.  There's a reason why there is a reports section in the forum.  Somehow people here fail to comprehend that.  So they start posting reports for everyone to see.  Even for those who just lurk and contribute ZERO to this forum.  Post reports all you want but do it the reports section where I believe people need to a certain number of posts to access.

100% agreed so I'll just post a water/people report. Water was actually quite murky today. First light was a zoo!! but by noon there was a lot less people. Almost think it's better to sleep in and get a late start. Really wish DFO would be out there. This is the third trip in a row I've busted a guy beside me using a barbed hooked busted another guy for keeping over his limit even though it he said it was "his brother's fish"  ::) Funny how he walked away with both fish though.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 10:53:54 PM by Drewhill »

bobby b

« Reply #272 on: August 05, 2017, 11:12:40 PM »

Umm...there is no required # of posts access ..One can view the reports section without even logging in...... 

Just thought i'd contribute to a relevant thread... why y'all gotta be so particular.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #273 on: August 05, 2017, 11:19:14 PM »

Umm...there is no required # of posts access ..One can view the reports section without even logging in...... 

Just thought i'd contribute to a relevant thread... why y'all gotta be so particular.

It was before so not sure why that was changed.  Post away then, just don't complain when the Squamish starts to look like peg leg or scale bar in the next couple of weeks.

bobby b

« Reply #274 on: August 05, 2017, 11:48:16 PM »

Post away then, just don't complain when the Squamish starts to look like peg leg or scale bar in the next couple of weeks.

One post, or zero posts at all for that matter, wont make one iota of difference. 

D'ya think it was an empty river before I showed up and caught a fish and now the hoards are a comin' just cause I posted about it...sheesh

Squamish always gets crowded when the pinks come in. As such, it was fairly crowded today too...and guess what... it was a lot of fun anyway. Guy's and Gals and kids all around me all chatting and having fun too .. nobody at all ruining it for anyone else.

Yes some people do break the rules ( barbs and over limit ) but I've seen my fair share of those types get busted so karma is indeed a bitch.

Most people just wanna have a good time and catch a fish just like the rest of us. I even helped a guy and his son setup there rigs and gave 'em some tips.... the son did get into a fish. The kid was beaming.

Life is what you make it....

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #275 on: August 06, 2017, 06:26:21 AM »

One post, or zero posts at all for that matter, wont make one iota of difference. 

D'ya think it was an empty river before I showed up and caught a fish and now the hoards are a comin' just cause I posted about it...sheesh

Squamish always gets crowded when the pinks come in. As such, it was fairly crowded today too...and guess what... it was a lot of fun anyway. Guy's and Gals and kids all around me all chatting and having fun too .. nobody at all ruining it for anyone else.

Yes some people do break the rules ( barbs and over limit ) but I've seen my fair share of those types get busted so karma is indeed a bitch.

Most people just wanna have a good time and catch a fish just like the rest of us. I even helped a guy and his son setup there rigs and gave 'em some tips.... the son did get into a fish. The kid was beaming.

Bobby,  I wasn't targeting your post specifically.  In fact you did provide some advice on how to catch these salmon which is what I feel this site is all about.  Right now the Squamish pinks are only one of a couple of freshwater salmon fisheries around with the Fraser being closed.  Since the fishable area has been decreased due to the most recent changes in Regs, common sense should be used when posting about it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 06:36:41 AM by Stratocaster »

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #276 on: August 06, 2017, 08:17:18 AM »

Crowded?   Interestingly I was fully expecting that yesterday but the Squamish was nowhere near as crowded as I expected it  to be - I think people are getting wind of the fact that the run is pretty poor this year and the retention limits being stricter too.

The only contribution I can make is small and green seems to work best for me on that River.   I seem to get more success with either a small green spinner or green flies (fly fishing or simply a fly under a float with bit of weight to keep it down).   Apparently green shows better in poor viability and keeping it slow is also helpful - gives them more time to see and react to the presentation before it disappears into the murk.    (I just stick a bit of green flash to a copper or silver spinners I construct myself)

Just my 2c.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #277 on: August 06, 2017, 09:10:15 AM »

As Stratocaster stated, his post was not directed at you specifically bobby.  But we've seen it before where someone posts about the "hot fishing" at a particular location (including a map with directions) and the crowds go from bad to really bad.  To Rod's credit, he deleted that post (lets' not dwell on that here).  I'm OK with posting about general fishing conditions, what works, etc.  But posting a specific location as one mentioned earlier in this thread is something I believe may not be the best idea - even though this is by no means a secret location.  Just naming the system (i.e. Squamish) would suffice.

The Fishing Reports section used to require a minimum number of posts (contribution) to access that section.  That would have been a better place to post more specific information.  I was not aware that this restriction was removed.  Perhaps Rod can comment if this is correct and why this was changed?

Yesterday we were fishing beside one of the members of this forum who is a very good fisherman and used to post lots of info on this forum.  We chatted about this very issue, and there is a reason why we don't see many posts from him anymore.

Anyway, let's not dwell on the past - "it is what it is".  Just go out and enjoy the weather and catch a fish...

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #278 on: August 06, 2017, 04:52:22 PM »

Just got back from the River and Beach today. I wouldn't describe the fishing as hot, but definitely luke warm.  It's definitely possible to hook something, but compared to last couple of seasons it's bit of let down.  I remember prior pink seasons at Furry Creek when everybody was hooking fish at the same time when the big schools go by. 

I saw the no parking on highway 99 near the golf course pull out.  Is there only 1 sign for the entire stretch?

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #279 on: August 07, 2017, 08:08:35 AM »

Does a green color lure work better than pink in that colored water at the Squamish? I was being out fished by a fly fisherman 3 to 1.  My spoon was hot pink while he used a tiny fly that is green colored.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #280 on: August 07, 2017, 08:56:35 AM »

buddies already back from furry, said it was amazing fast Limits, Jumpers. Definitely a lot more out there!

Tenz85

« Reply #281 on: August 07, 2017, 08:57:48 AM »

So youre going to the squamish today?   ;)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #282 on: August 07, 2017, 09:03:45 AM »

Does a green color lure work better than pink in that colored water at the Squamish? I was being out fished by a fly fisherman 3 to 1.  My spoon was hot pink while he used a tiny fly that is green colored.

I believe the success rate has more to do with "presentation" than the colour in your example.  There are times when switching up colour can make a difference.  But I've found that flies tend to outproduce gear for pink salmon in general.  By presentation, I not only mean the colour and size of the fly/lure, but how it behaves in the water.  The fly line with the right sink tip can put the fly right in the zone and keep it there.  This can be a disadvantage too when the fish get so concentrated that the fly snags fish on every cast.  Then I'll adjust by using a lighter tip, and/or starting a retrieve earlier in the drift so the fly cannot sink too fast.  I've picked up lots of fish that will chase down the fly this way.

Speaking of "tips" - have you tried flies under a float?  This can be deadly for pinks.  I would recommend flies that are on the sparser side with a bit of contrast.  Pink of course is a great colour choice.  Chartreuse is another good colour.  Remember, you don't have to be "fly fishing" to be successful with flies.  Good luck and have fun!

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #283 on: August 07, 2017, 09:44:39 AM »

I did mention earier in this post that green generally works best for me on the Squamish river simply because that colour shows better in the silty conditions we get there.   I don't know why smaller is better but small flies or spinners do better for me there as well - I really don't know why, maybe the feeding instinct is turned off in rivers so they are less inclined to go for large things.

I always go fishing with a bunch of options.  Typically I show up with both fly and gear fishing options and I use both.  I also make sure I have flies and spinners available in various sizes and colors.  If I am not getting anything I keep switching up until I find something that works.  I believe I have tried everything on the Squamish river and I would say it is generally true that green flies either fly fished or under a float work best on that system (..not necessarily true elsewhere -  I do better with pink in the salt and I do better with spoons and spinners on the Fraser).

Also, keeping things really really slow seems to be important there too.  Keep things moving as slow as possible without actually snagging the bottom gives them more time to see what is put in front of them - the water clarity is always a challenge on that system at this time of year.

bobby b

« Reply #284 on: August 07, 2017, 10:02:17 AM »

Maybe that was you beside me yesterday...? I fished pink buggers and muddlers and did not get much at all... switched to Chartreuse and got one on the second cast ... got 4 in a row shortly after.. 4 casts 4 fish on. Guy beside me switched too, and sure enough he was getting one after another. Maybe just just coincidence/timing.... but the same is true for most fishing..if something is not producing, switch it up.

I always find I do so much better fishing Pinks on the fly.... I bring a gear rod too sometimes but mostly it goes unused.