Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How much drag do I need?  (Read 7529 times)

rootbeer

How much drag do I need?
« on: February 22, 2017, 12:57:54 PM »

Looking at purchasing a new reel for trolling and I don't know if I should get the reel with 8lbs of drag or 15lbs.  This will be for trolling for rainbow, kokanee etc.  My gut tells me that 8lbs is probably enough, but my gut sometimes lies to me.

I am looking at the Daiwa Sealine linecounter reels.

I am also looking at the Abu Garcia C3 6500 baitcaster for trolling.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 12:59:56 PM by rootbeer »

sbc hris

Re: How much drag do I need?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 01:08:36 PM »

Trolling for rainbows in Kootenay lake, or Rolley lake? Big difference...
For the majority of trout fishing applications around here though, 8 lbs. would be just fine I would think.

rootbeer

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 01:16:38 PM »

Shuswap Lake and area for rainbows, so up to 5lbs maybe a bit more (not that I've gotten one that big yet)

rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 01:53:47 PM »

Well I decided to go with Abu Garcia C3 6500. The sealine daiwa linecounter got really mixed reviews.  Might be more reel than I need, but given that I was locked to a specific store using a gift card, I think it is the best compromise.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 02:22:07 PM »

Well I decided to go with Abu Garcia C3 6500. The sealine daiwa linecounter got really mixed reviews.  Might be more reel than I need, but given that I was locked to a specific store using a gift card, I think it is the best compromise.

Good enough for chinook trolling.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 03:46:14 PM »

8lbs is fine for kokanee and other similar sized species.

For salmon most reels have 11lbs or greater drag. A few of mine have 11 and a few others 15. One has 17.

It is worth mentioning that when you are done fishing for the day, back your drag off! I'm not sure if it is such a big deal on spinning reels, but I do anyways. With level winds I know if you leave the drag cranked down then over time the drag washers will compress and it will negatively affect your drag over time (max drag will lessen).

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 06:44:13 PM »

If going Abu, you would want a 5500, not a 6500 (overkill) for your intended usage.

PS, I picked up a couple of Cabelas Pro Guide Kokanee rods ($50) that are great.  You might want to look into them.  Hard to find the action that works best for kokanee without spending a lot.

Snagly

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 09:15:18 PM »

You need a lot less drag than the weight of the target fish you seek. Line capacity may be the limiting factor if you're trolling in deeper lakes, using outriggers or running way back of the boat. Even the 5500 is going to have more than enough drag to handle 10lb rainbows in open water.

The past fifteen years have seen reel manufacturers get into a willy-measuring competition over how much drag they can build into a standard low profile baitcaster typically used for bass, salmon and steelhead. My old Chronarch 100s could apply 6lbs of drag if the star drag was tightened as far as it would go. That was fine for steelhead to 20lbs+ (at least if they weren't leaving the pool: 170 yards of capacity with 14lb Fireline meant you needed track shoes some of the time). There are special situations when a small line capacity reel needs a big drag. Fishing in the mangroves for snook or barramundi is one: if they get four feet of line on you, it's goodbye.

As it so happens, about seven years ago I bought an Abu Revo baitcaster for its 10-bearings and longer casting capability. It did outcast my Chronarchs and Chronarch SFs. It also came with a claimed 10lb drag. I was curious how it would perform on a big fish. I've had a few chances over the years to put the Revo to the acid test and it's been far worse than the Shimanos I otherwise use. The Revo DOES have a tighter drag when it's cranked down, but at normal fishing levels the drag inertia is too high. I lost fish because the reel wouldn't release line fast enough. Then I started fishing a too-light a drag because of that inertia, but I missed fish by not getting good hook sets. It's now my least-favorite reel especially with Shimano's more recent E6 and E7 Chronarchs casting just as far and having better drags.

In summary, unless you're throwing poppers around coral heads for GTs in the Seychelles, I wouldn't buy a reel based on maximum drag settings. It's a red herring.

"One and done" to limit our impact on wild steelhead

rootbeer

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 05:09:05 PM »

If going Abu, you would want a 5500, not a 6500 (overkill) for your intended usage.

PS, I picked up a couple of Cabelas Pro Guide Kokanee rods ($50) that are great.  You might want to look into them.  Hard to find the action that works best for kokanee without spending a lot.

I agree the 6500 is more reel than necessary, but I was limited by a gift card and models that were available (on sale).  Another option at the same retailer is the Shimano Corvalus 300 that has similar specs.  I may have a chance before the possible return date expires to be able to actually look at the Shimano and make decision.  I did receive the abu garcia yesterday and it does seem to "fit" o.k. on the rod that I plan to use.

Sr SQ

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 06:45:15 PM »

Drag settings should not exceed 25% of line rating for mono.
What dictates drag setting is line test your going to use, example when using 20lb your drag strike setting should be set for max 5lbs.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 12:21:14 AM »

You need a lot less drag than the weight of the target fish you seek. Line capacity may be the limiting factor if you're trolling in deeper lakes, using outriggers or running way back of the boat. Even the 5500 is going to have more than enough drag to handle 10lb rainbows in open water.

The past fifteen years have seen reel manufacturers get into a willy-measuring competition over how much drag they can build into a standard low profile baitcaster typically used for bass, salmon and steelhead. My old Chronarch 100s could apply 6lbs of drag if the star drag was tightened as far as it would go. That was fine for steelhead to 20lbs+ (at least if they weren't leaving the pool: 170 yards of capacity with 14lb Fireline meant you needed track shoes some of the time). There are special situations when a small line capacity reel needs a big drag. Fishing in the mangroves for snook or barramundi is one: if they get four feet of line on you, it's goodbye.

As it so happens, about seven years ago I bought an Abu Revo baitcaster for its 10-bearings and longer casting capability. It did outcast my Chronarchs and Chronarch SFs. It also came with a claimed 10lb drag. I was curious how it would perform on a big fish. I've had a few chances over the years to put the Revo to the acid test and it's been far worse than the Shimanos I otherwise use. The Revo DOES have a tighter drag when it's cranked down, but at normal fishing levels the drag inertia is too high. I lost fish because the reel wouldn't release line fast enough. Then I started fishing a too-light a drag because of that inertia, but I missed fish by not getting good hook sets. It's now my least-favorite reel especially with Shimano's more recent E6 and E7 Chronarchs casting just as far and having better drags.

In summary, unless you're throwing poppers around coral heads for GTs in the Seychelles, I wouldn't buy a reel based on maximum drag settings. It's a red herring.

"10 lb Rainbow" ::) ::). Where do you guys go fishing. I can give you a new reel to trade your spot.

See the 10 lb rainbow, one fish of a lifetime 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 12:25:39 AM by psd1179 »

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 09:50:29 AM »

There is way too much drag in this thread;