Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Main line rating for Sage 2106lb  (Read 2758 times)

Barbelface

Main line rating for Sage 2106lb
« on: February 13, 2017, 04:58:34 AM »

I recently purchased a sage 2106 tied for Centerpin. While I was in the U.K. I managed to pick up kingpin zeppelin that was already spoiled with 8lb P-line. Is this a little light for the blank? Will be used mainly in smaller streams.
Also anyone using a SP 196? What's the ideal line rating for this blank?

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Main line rating for Sage 2106lb
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 09:33:25 AM »

My 2 cents:

For steelhead you'll likely be using 8-12lb leader line. You want your mainline ideally 5lbs (ish) stronger than the strongest leader line you'll be using. For example, 10lb leader and 15lb mainline is a typical good combo.

Typically most guys run 12 or 15lb mainline of their pin reels. I run 20lb on mine (Maxima Chamelon) as I am new to centerpinning and the staff at the shop advised me that this stiffer line would be easier to learn to cast with. So far I like it, no issues.

I would just take your reel and rod into a good shop (Searun, Fred's, or wherever you typically shop) and get them to spool the reel up with backing and mono mainline. As the mono wears out or you want to try something else you can easily remove it, reconnect to the backing, and re-spool up with whatever. I think next I'll go 15lb MAxima Chamelon as the 20 is a bit overkill for my set up IMO.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 03:12:23 PM by Spawn Sack »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2023, 11:24:16 AM »

I recently purchased a sage 2106 tied for Centerpin. While I was in the U.K. I managed to pick up kingpin zeppelin that was already spoiled with 8lb P-line. Is this a little light for the blank? Will be used mainly in smaller streams.
Also anyone using a SP 196? What's the ideal line rating for this blank?

sorry on delay; sage 2106lb is rated 6-12lb (older brown blank). Newer non brown blank one may be slightly higher at 8-12lb

spectacular rod; love the flex on the older brown blanks.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 11:27:24 AM by dennisK »

wallygator24

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2023, 02:43:14 PM »

I have a sage SP 196 rod and it is rated at 4-10lb.  It is an awesome light rod.  Really enjoy catching silvers on it.