Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to put on egg veil milky white wool  (Read 2511 times)

kosanin kosher salt

How to put on egg veil milky white wool
« on: February 09, 2017, 04:05:54 PM »

I want to fish my gooey gob that will sit above the hook. Id like to match it with this sweet wool. Sometimes I put a shoelace type wool knot on the leader line that would sit on top of the gob but that just looks funny. I want the natural thing. Any tips, YouTube Link? awesome thanks memebers

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: How to put on egg veil milky white wool
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 05:06:30 PM »

Are you going to use the bob with straw or without the straw? Either way, doesn't matter - pretty much the same way.

Use the sewing needle typically used to string your pink worm. Make you leader however way you like but with some trial end error or use as much white yarn as you want and feed a couple inches of yarn and the leader through the needle eye. Pull the bob over the needle and pull out as much wool as you like to create your veil and tail if you wish - both ways worked for me. Tie on your hook hold the wool and bob together and slide them both together down to the hook. Trim your wool then brush groom the wool with the toothbrush.

It's all fun and looks very nice but honestly the Steelhead don't care. Get something in front of them and they will likely take it.

If you're going to gear fish, 6" pink worms, roe sacks and siver hammered colorado blades covers the Vedder Sheelhead.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 09:15:19 PM »

How I do it to create the "veil" effect. I do this for gooey bobs, single Jensen eggs, etc. Like kkk I typically fish the rubber bait above the hook on the leader, and often I want/like the wool to be above the "bait," not below it on the bait loop.

I thread the "bait" onto the leader with a large sewing needle. Sometimes in a pinch on the I'll just thread it onto the hook and push it up over the hook eye, however I find this makes the hole in the rubber bigger than needed and sometimes this causes it to ride down the hook.

Once the egg/bob is threaded I'll take my wool (typically white) and cut about a 3 inch strand. Then, I'll separate/tear off about 1/4-1/8 the thickness of the wool depending on how much of a veil I'm looking for. I tie the wool in an overhand knot on the leader and slide it down above the egg/bob. Then separate it with you fingers, really pull all the little strands apart. Trim up the length with your scissors. Done.

You can fish more than one color of wool this way. Just tie successive strands above/below the first one depending on what kind of look you are going for. IMO it looks pretty good/natural. If you separate the stands thin enough there will only be a tiny small knot on your leader. Hardly noticeable.

To me this looks good and I fish it with confidence. However if you're not happy with the way it looks you may have to take it one step further, as suggested by Reiber.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 12:20:59 AM »

Just tie the yarn on the leader with an overhand knot.