Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Vedder River Breakins  (Read 14710 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
More Vedder River Breakins
« on: January 31, 2017, 02:42:26 PM »

A FB friend had his vehicle window smashed and things stolen this AM, upstream of Keith Wilson Bridge on the Vedder Canal dyke road, by the gravel pit.

bobby b

Re: More Vedder River Breakins
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 04:35:40 PM »

Seems like this is happening quite a bit lately.....esp in some of the lower sections.

I was parking just east of the Vedder bridge just as 2 anglers were coming back from the river.

One of the 2 had his truck pass window smashed in....

I have seen smashed window glass in that parking area before so I tend not to park there..... Was gonna then, but ya, decided not too! Sketchy....

Too bad as it is a decent access point to the river.

John Revolver

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 06:43:18 PM »

So shitty to hear that,

After being broken into a few times myself, I  printed out and laminated a sign that says "No valuables in Vehicle"  that I keep propped up on my dashboard. have not had any issues since. I also leave my doors unlocked and a club on the steering wheel.

ribolovac02

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 07:25:34 PM »

My buddies truck got broken into just above crossing ,  couple weeks ago ,very shitty feeling...

JustPuttsin

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 08:12:01 PM »

Chilliwack area is certainly going to the dogs with this kind of stuff. Just thought I might add.... photo copy your vehicle insurance papers with your name and address blacked out. The Rcmp are okay with this and it doesn't give the mindless idiot breaking into your vehicle your name and address.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 08:35:36 PM »

Take the law in your own hands! Don't take them to court!

I think that's how the saying goes!  :o
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 08:38:59 PM by greyghost »
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Burbot

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 01:39:10 AM »

Take the law in your own hands! Don't take them to court!

I think that's how the saying goes!  :o

Exactly. Especially in Canada where they would just get a hug and no punishment.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 07:40:43 AM »

Exactly. Especially in Canada where they would just get a hug and no punishment.

I suspect that if we have Milo give them a hug, he'll teach them very effectively, and just once, that crime isn't worth it.  ;)

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 10:51:19 PM »

Hopefully I'm reviving the right thread...

Has anyone seen or heard of any breakins this fall so far ? Hoping to start fishing it again soon but might not bother if it's just as bad...
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Tangles

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 12:08:50 AM »

Yes, I have seen smashed glass on several spots so far -
 along the canal as well as on the first two pullouts just upstream from the crossing. I do just like others, unlocked doors, club on the weel, no valuables. My truck doesnt have an alarm and has been broken into before but luckily never on the river (fingers crossed).

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 04:00:11 PM »

I've been wanting to fish upriver but too nervous of skids breaking into my truck. I have not had a chance to "gut" it yet but on the weekend I'm going to remove all the stuff under the back seat storage, center console, glove box, etc. Don't really need this stuff for fishing, it's more for camping/hunting/road trips.

From here I'm not really sure if I can bring myself to leave my nice newer truck unlocked. I've always just locked my vehicle when fishing anywhere on the Vedder and left nothing in sight. I always double check that truck is locked before heading to fishing spot. I get the strategy of leaving your vehicle unlocked - beats a broken window! I just don't think I could leave mine unlocked KNOWING that if some skid bags come by they are certainly going to have their dirty little fingers going through every inch of my vehicle.

I think I'm going to do what I read another user on this site did. Clean out the vehicle, leave all compartments open and visibly empty, and leave a note in the window that says something to the effect of "all valuables removed from vehicle."

Any other bright ideas? Buddy suggested we set up a hidden trail cam on our vehicles. I say waste of time as even if we do get them on tape hard to identify/prove who they are, even if they are caught likely SFA will happen.

My goal is for them to give my truck a look and decide it's a waste of their time to break into it.

John Revolver

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 04:27:19 PM »

I've been wanting to fish upriver but too nervous of skids breaking into my truck. I have not had a chance to "gut" it yet but on the weekend I'm going to remove all the stuff under the back seat storage, center console, glove box, etc. Don't really need this stuff for fishing, it's more for camping/hunting/road trips.

From here I'm not really sure if I can bring myself to leave my nice newer truck unlocked. I've always just locked my vehicle when fishing anywhere on the Vedder and left nothing in sight. I always double check that truck is locked before heading to fishing spot. I get the strategy of leaving your vehicle unlocked - beats a broken window! I just don't think I could leave mine unlocked KNOWING that if some skid bags come by they are certainly going to have their dirty little fingers going through every inch of my vehicle.

I think I'm going to do what I read another user on this site did. Clean out the vehicle, leave all compartments open and visibly empty, and leave a note in the window that says something to the effect of "all valuables removed from vehicle."

Any other bright ideas? Buddy suggested we set up a hidden trail cam on our vehicles. I say waste of time as even if we do get them on tape hard to identify/prove who they are, even if they are caught likely SFA will happen.

My goal is for them to give my truck a look and decide it's a waste of their time to break into it.

Laminate a sign/s  to put in your windows/dash  "NO VALUABLES IN VEHICLE"

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 05:06:34 PM »

A nice German Shepherd.

sbc hris

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 05:19:58 PM »

Not quite the same neighbourhood but close. Anyways, a month ago I was coming down the teapot hill trail by Cultus lake with my daughter in the middle of a sunny afternoon, when we heard a bunch of honking, yelling, and general ruckus coming from the road. We popped out of the trail and found out that some people caught some skids breaking into their car on the side of the road. Apparently they got pics of said skids, their car (beater cavalier) and their liscence plate. So yeah, still skid balls working the area is the point I'm trying to make.
I like the sign in the window idea myself.

burnaby

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 11:09:48 PM »

Anyone going through the effort to make/post a sign must have something valuable to hide. Oh, laminated, must be real valuable ::)

Laminate a sign/s  to put in your windows/dash  "NO VALUABLES IN VEHICLE"