Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Passing of Malcolm Ruddick  (Read 3273 times)

Silex-user

Passing of Malcolm Ruddick
« on: January 28, 2017, 01:06:39 PM »

Just happened to read this morning Vancouver Sun Obituaries that Malcolm Ruddick passed away. I remember shopping at Ruddick's Fly Tackle store on Canada Way, Burnaby back in the early 80's. Malcolm and his wife Kathy were very helpful in setting (purchasing) me in  first fly fishing tackles. They very nice people and provided very good services.

If my memories served me correctly Kathy was onetime Captain of Canada's women fly fishing team.

RIP Malcolm.

Silex user

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Passing of Malcolm Ruddick
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 03:52:55 PM »

Also heard Kathy on CKNW on Friday mornings with Rafe Mair years ago giving a fishing report. Very knowledgeable. Of course Rafe was an avid fly fisher, not sure if he fishes now, writes a blog on the Common Sense Canadian.

RUDDICK, Malcolm Bruce Robert
We are deeply saddened to announce the passing of Malcolm Ruddick after a lengthy and courageous battle with cancer. Malcolm was born in Mission BC, May 26, 1953 and passed away at Kamloops Hospice surrounded by family on January 10, 2017. Malcolm is survived by his loving wife Kathy Ruddick (nee Turner) and her mother Edna Snider; his brother Ken Ruddick (Ruth) of Nanaimo, BC; his sister Cheryle Macdonald (John) of Stave Falls; sister Karyn Ruddick of Vancouver; sister Heather Anderson of Bellingham, WA; nieces Jennifer Armour (Stuart), Beth Kennard (Jason), Coral Anderson, Evan Gregory (Gavin), Kristina Ruddick, nephew Jamie Ruddick. Malcolm was predeceased by his father Ken Ruddick and mother Vera Ruddick of Stave Falls BC.

Malcolm grew up in Stave Falls, a small community between Maple Ridge and Mission, B.C.
Malcolm and his father Ken started Ruddick's Fly Shop in 1972 out of a garage/barn on his father's property. Malcolm expanded in 1976 moving to a retail location in Maple Ridge. In 1978 Malcolm and Kathy were married and later that year moved the store to Burnaby/Vancouver locations. Ruddick's Fly shop was a pioneer in the industry being the first retail specialty Fly Shop west of Toronto, directly sourcing and importing supplies and materials for the fly angler and fly tier.
Malcolm and Kathy operated the store together, and Ruddick's expanded into two locations and became a true destination not only for locals but also international anglers.
The location in Burnaby became a regular meeting place, especially on Saturday mornings for enthusiastic fly fisherman to share a coffee and swap stories. The second location at Granville Island followed. The stores further expanded into fly fishing/tying education, hosting fly fishing trips as well as radio and television shows.

Malcolm was an accomplished fisherman starting at the age of 10 but his love for fly fishing and fly tying became his passion. He was an expert fly tier and became famous for his exquisite and innovative fly patterns, in particular his polar bear coho, salmon/ steelhead and trout flies.
Malcolm had a deep respect for animals, especially dogs. Once again a maverick, Malcolm acquired Nova Scotia Duck Tollers directly from Nova Scotia and started to raise them in the early 1980s. Malcolm and Kathy hunted and fished them extensively long before it was vogue to own one. Later, Malcolm became involved in training both Tollers and Labs for field trials as well as becoming a Trial Judge. He attended trials throughout B.C. and Alberta where he won numerous awards.
After moving to Kamloops in 2007 Malcolm assisted in the opening and managing of Wholesale Sports, sharing his expertise in retail and industry. He left Wholesale Sports in 2011 after his illness no longer allowed him to work.

A Celebration of Life will be held in the spring as per Malcolm's wishes. It will be a comfortable and casual gathering, hopefully lakeside close to Kamloops in early May. In lieu of flowers, we ask that you donate in Malcolm's name to Kamloops Hospice or Charity of your choice. There will also be a plan to donate to a "fishing" enhancement project in the Kamloops region with details determined later.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 03:59:58 PM by chris gadsden »

JackFunk

• Miskatonic U. Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 10:09:21 PM »

I grew up a few blocks from Ruddicks fly shop in Bby. I used to buy my gear there back in the day, they were always helpful and friendly to a newbie flyfisherman. RIP.

mcallagan

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 01:20:39 PM »

I use to spent lunch hours there as it was just up Canada Way from my work place.
Always a helpful place to be and stock up on needs.
As stated," A pioneer in the Western Fly Fishing Retail world."

Quin

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 07:51:20 PM »

An unique individual, whose sense of adventure infected all who knew him. Many crazy fun times spent out at Stave Falls, involved in his many "projects". It's hard to find words at a sad time like this.
Condolences to his family and friends. A great loss.

Rob