Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: IMPORTANT: Southern Resident Killer Whale Town Hall Meeting  (Read 1756 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
IMPORTANT: Southern Resident Killer Whale Town Hall Meeting
« on: January 16, 2018, 02:22:59 PM »

TOMORROW in Victoria!!

Venue: Four Points by Sheraton - Victoria Gateway Hotel
Address: 829 McCallum Road, Langford, BC,
Start: January 17, 2018 7:00 pm
End: January 17, 2018 9:30 pm
Cost: No Charge - Donations to Sooke Basin Chinook Enhancement Initiative Welcome

If you are an angler or are interested in the recovery of our endangered Southern Resident Killer Whales mark Wednesday January 17th at 7:00 p.m. in your diary.

This meeting is to inform the angling community, the public and politicians about the potential implications arising from the soon to be in place Southern Resident Killer Whale recovery action plan. Fisheries Minister Dominic LeBlanc has indicated that immediate and long term solutions will be forthcoming.

The first portion of the meetings agenda will be PowerPoint presentations from SVIAC’s president and a representative from the Pacific Whale Watching Association. The information in these presentations will frame the second part of the meeting where the will be a questions and answers session.

For any who fish the chuck, or the rivers that WILL be effected, this is a meeting worth taking in...

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Re: IMPORTANT: Southern Resident Killer Whale Town Hall Meeting
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 11:45:03 AM »

As noted I was unable to attend due to illness in the family. Wish I could have!

There is a decent running summary (and a little back and forth of course) over on SFBC. Here's the link:

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/important-southern-resident-killer-whale-town-hall-mtg.68045/

On the surface looks like (well - beyond the flushing of $ 7 million down the tube for a "noise study") whale watchers will have to double their distance from the whales, and not engage in  jumping ahead of whales so they can wait for them to swim by. That combined with net-penning salmon and perhaps enhancing hatchery production appear to be the stronger points. Studies to continue of course...

There is more, including the note that a pinniped cull "is off the table".
For the gist of the matter I suggest having a look at the link I provided.

I have a BAD Feeling about this one...

Nog