Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fluorocarbon leader vs regular fluorocarbon  (Read 4614 times)

BananasQ

Fluorocarbon leader vs regular fluorocarbon
« on: March 14, 2017, 06:54:13 AM »

Just posting a link here for reference, https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0009V5N2A/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1489463337&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=10lb%2Bfluorocarbon&th=1&psc=1 but fluorocarbon "leader" can cost around $1/yard whereas regular fluorocarbon of the same strength is a fraction of this cost. Is there any real difference or is this another example of "a fisherman and his money..."

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Fluorocarbon leader vs regular fluorocarbon
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 08:07:56 AM »

Try it.
Some people try the cheap fluorocarbon line and find it works fine.
I tried it and found that the line was sticky and it was almost impossible to tie a knot without some amount of burning regardless of how much lubricant was used.
Abrasion resistance was also terrible at the knot, though I sometimes it was hard to tell if the breakoffs were due to abrasion or poor knots.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 08:40:18 AM »

There is IMO astounding variability among fluorocarbon fly lines and the most noticeable difference is knot strength or lack there of. Many fluoros are stiff to the point of being hard to use.

You can certainly save money by the foot or yard by buying in larger spools. One good thing with fluoro is that it is UV insensitive which means it lasts all but forever so you don't have to worry  about it going bad or losing strength
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 09:09:43 AM »

There is IMO astounding variability among fluorocarbon fly lines and the most noticeable difference is knot strength or lack there of. Many fluoros are stiff to the point of being hard to use.

You can certainly save money by the foot or yard by buying in larger spools. One good thing with fluoro is that it is UV insensitive which means it lasts all but forever so you don't have to worry  about it going bad or losing strength
I have seen bad spools of fluoro, but have no idea why. It took me 4 lost fish before I determined that a new spool had maybe 1/4 of its advertised strength.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 10:05:00 AM »

I've used both.  The leader spools and the bulk spools.  Provided that they are the same brand, I have not noticed any difference.  Much cheaper for me to buy Seaguar Invisx in the 200 yd spools than in 30 yard leader spools.  BTW I've been using the Seaguar line for years now with no problems.  Tried the Berkley Vanish many years ago with horrible results.

Birkenhead

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 04:09:25 PM »

I use the yellow label Seaguar fluorocarbon leader and have no problems with it. A 100 yard spool is usually $13.00 to $15.00 at the local tackle shops, A&N etc.

Jk47

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 04:28:02 PM »

Times 2 @ Berkley Vanish. Stuff breaks if a fish swims nearby and even looks at it 😜
Ultragreen is all I use now right up untill the water is super clear, then I switch to Maxima's
Fluorocarbon leader. Almost as strong as UG -IMHO

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 05:31:04 PM »

Not all fluorocarbon is the same but the difference between ‘leader’ and ‘line’ as a lot of marketing spin for most applications IMHO.

Nothing wrong with Seaguar Blue Label and assuming their specifications are listed accurately on the website, Blue label is supposedly slightly thinner for the same rated strength than Red Label, STS, Invisx, etc but also costs literally 10X more on a per/length basis. However I am certain manufacturers play fast and loose with their line ratings depending on whatever they are trying to sell you on with a particular product.

10lb rated Blue Label may be 5% thinner than say 10lb Red Label but an independent test might show that Blue might break at a slightly lower strength as well, but it’s basically impossible for end users to determine that from anecdotal evidence.

I have been using Blue label for drift fishing but after I use it up, I probably won’t be buying it again as I don’t believe it’s worth the extra cost. I’m sure not fooling 10X the amount of fish nor is it outperforming other fluorocarbons significantly in any metric of consequence that I can tell to justify the cost.

One thing I would do is stick with reputable brands and not use no name stuff from indeterminable manufacture. One benefit of using a major brand like Seaguar is QC and consistency of manufacture which should result in less batch to batch variability. 

KarateKick

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 09:44:56 PM »

One good thing with fluoro is that it is UV insensitive which means it lasts all but forever so you don't have to worry  about it going bad or losing strength

I've been told that some fluoro turns brittle unless you keep it immersed in water during storage.  Have you seen some like that?

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 12:22:07 AM »

I've been told that some fluoro turns brittle unless you keep it immersed in water during storage.  Have you seen some like that?

That is insane. if the the line turns brittle, simply buy new spools

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 06:48:36 AM »

never heard of that. Fluoro doesn't absorb water like mono does.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 09:20:41 AM »

I've been using Berkeley Vanish 110yard spools. Landed all my fish with them except one hog at the beach. Just purchased Berkeley flouro pro grade should be about the same or better as its more expensive. Bogo free at bass pro shops now I believe

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 03:44:14 PM »

BananaasQ, do you mind if I ask what type of fishing you are doing with this flouro?

My honest opinion. If you are fly fishing still waters (Lakes) for picky trout, yes I do believe flouro can make a diff. I buy the wee spools of seaguar in 4lb which I use most of the time, and the odd time if the lake is known for hogs I'll step it up to 6lb.

However in the river? I went through a flouro stage years back. I tried Seaguar, Suffix, Maxima, and others. Cost me a lot of $! For me the experience was terrible. I busted off a lot of nice fish right at the swivel knot. I even switched from the improved clinch to the palomar knot (supposedly the best knot for flouro) and still busted off a lot of fish. And I didn't find I was hooking up any more than my buddies with mono leaders.

This being said, I fish with a few guys who only fish flouro leader in the river and they swear by it. So, fish what you like and what works for you and what you have confidence in!

I would recommend if you want to try out some flouro don't cheap out, and don't go out and buy several big expensive spools in case you don't like it. I would buy a small spool of Seaguar Blue Label (seems to be arguably the best) in 15 or 12lb and try it out for a season. If you can land springs, chum and coho on it then it has passed the test!!!

Personally I gave all my flouro away with the exception of the stuff for lakes. I now stick to Maxima Ultragreen mono leaders in 6lb-15lb for all my river fishing. This is what works well for me and what I have confidence in.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 09:52:40 AM »

When it comes to flouro I only use two. Frog hair for my tippet when lake fishing and Sufix Invisiline for the bulk of my lake leaders and river drift fishing (chinook and chum I stick to mono usually)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/