Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has the idea of a mandatory "ethical angling" course ever been proposed?  (Read 7792 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

I worked for one of those agencies. FWIW no one in any of the facilities I worked in had a job where they sat in an office and watched a camera feed all day. The camera output was there to 1) help them do their job, 2) provide security and 3) provide an historical record for legal and administrative purposes. Those employees whose job involved watching TVs with the camera feed watched several or had several on at one time.

To be fair to the person who suggested cameras at popular meat holes, the suggestion did not intend or imply the sort of capability that CBA has at border crossings. In fact the mere realization one's actions are recorded for viewing by Peace Officers or security personnel will tend to alter the behaviour of most people towards compliance.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Walleye76

Wasn't implying that happened at any of those agencies, I was saying that for it to be effective in this  application would require constant viewing/review of all recorded data. As far as the type of capabilities, I agree to a certain extent but would still need that level resolution, low light capabilities as well as pan/tilt/zoom. Without that it would be a pointless costly endeavour. Yes the mere presence of cameras will deter some but that number drops constantly as time goes on as more and more cameras appear everywhere. Without high quality cameras, unless these offenders are "known" to authorities they will never be able to identify anyone and even if they are id'd the video evidence could not be used in any form of prosecution since no images or video under a 960h resolution quaility is admisable in court. Not trying create an argument over it I just know the capabilities of camera technology and what would be required for it to be useful in the type of environment they would be in 24hrs a day 365 days a year

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Well you've pointed out some possible deficiencies with the idea and thanks for that. It's a suggestion that would need a lot more study for sure.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

To be fair to the person who suggested cameras at popular meat holes, the suggestion did not intend or imply the sort of capability that CBA has at border crossings. In fact the mere realization one's actions are recorded for viewing by Peace Officers or security personnel will tend to alter the behaviour of most people towards compliance.

This was more my point and less about actually charging someone. The vedder were using as an example because it has the most people there all the time and to seems to have people on here always complaining about illegal and unethical acts. There are a few busy bars on the Fraser that have been problems but they can and have shut fishing down from them (laid law for example).

Dfo does not have the resources or funding to care that much about people that are snagging,kicking fish,using barbed hooks, keeping more above there limit. Sure if there out on the beat they will pinch you for it and even have a few officers assigned to problem areas during the summer (Vedder & Stave) largely because of public outcry in the past.There like the Surrey police you can beat your wife all sunday they ain't coming.  Most of there resources are spent dealing with the first nations and bands fighting. When joe puts out his illegal net off the rock by the hope bridge and catches 99% of the fish that go by, the Interior bands get pretty PO'd.

But back to the point I think Relphs point about a multiple choice ethics exam (that you just keep on doing till u get 100%) at the time you get your Licence is reasonable.  My point about the cameras was for a discussion not really a case for CSI. I think we have had a pretty good discussion, I think camera's are something that should really be looked into in problem areas

And for the love of god people please stop calling the DFO (Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Fishery officers), CO's. Co's are conservation officers that work for the province and spend 90% of there time trapping and killing black bears.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 10:37:47 PM by wildmanyeah »