Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Small light lures  (Read 4195 times)

KarateKick

Small light lures
« on: January 16, 2017, 04:38:54 PM »

We have some small and light spoons and spinners that may work well for small fish, but we can't cast them very far even with an ultralight rod and 4lb line.  If we want to add some weight, do you have any advice as to the type of weight and the distance from the lure?  Does a Carolina rig work well with small metal lures?  Or should we use a weight at a fixed distance above?

Thank you in advance!

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: Small light lures
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 05:04:18 PM »

Several ways and I've done most like split shots and rubber core twist sinkers.

A cheap and practical way is to get a small coil of 1/4" pencil lead - make sure it's the hollow core. to make a clean cut every time with this pencil lead is to get a dog nail trimmer and cut the lead with it. Leaves a perfect hole and you can custom trim your lead to what you need.

Regarding the set-up: cut you lead piece and slide it up onto the main line. Tie on a small barrel swivel. Tie on 18" - 36" of leader. Tie your lure to your leader.

Only problem is if you snag your lead, you'll likely lose it all. The good part is that you'll learn very quickly the balance of adding lead and what you have to do to your retrieve in the waters you fish.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 11:20:55 AM »

I use tiny unweighted spoons to fish for pinks, and to avoid losing lures I like to run a dropper weight and a 3-way swivel (T-shaped).  I use a 5-6 foot leader to give the lure the most freedom to flutter, and then 1-1.5 feet of line from the swivel to a chunk of hollow pencil lead, which I crimp on the end of the line (it helps to put a knot in the weight end of the line so the lead doesn't come off too easily).  I use this setup in slow moving sections of river near the tidal zone that often have unseen logs and other snags. The dropper weight also prevents twisting in the mainline.

BTW - lure size often has very little to do with the size of fish you will catch.  I have seen large coho hit a size zero Dick Nite spoon, and salmon and trout fry hit lures half their size or more. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 11:23:46 AM by WAfishboy »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 04:06:08 PM »

Casting float.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

BananasQ

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 04:38:01 AM »

Casting float.

Yup. I'd use something like this (https://www.rainbowplastics.com/ajustabubblesABM.php?x=115&y=19), and someone a few months ago posted about some neutral buoyancy float you can get, but they aren't cheap.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 08:46:32 AM »

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=40224.0

I ordered these from Europe cost 8 bucks for 2 and they cast so well I ordered 2 more.

BananasQ

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 04:19:48 PM »

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=40224.0

I ordered these from Europe cost 8 bucks for 2 and they cast so well I ordered 2 more.

May I ask which weight you get?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 09:03:07 AM »

12 gr = gram I guess took a chance on weight when ordering they turned out fine. Great for casting flies way out there. ;D

KarateKick

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 09:53:11 PM »

How is the Bombarda float attached to the line?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 10:43:40 PM »

Just thread your line through.

chomperman

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 12:09:54 AM »

I designed my own bombarda float and printed one using my 3D printer.  Only thing is that they float and don't sink (although if you added some lead tape I am sure you could get it to sink at the right rate).  If anyone is interested just PM me and I would be happy to make one for a member at cost.  Its the least I could do for a forum that has been so helpful to a beginner like me!