Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Winter fishing for kids  (Read 6216 times)

KarateKick

Winter fishing for kids
« on: January 16, 2017, 04:23:23 PM »

The kids have been stuck indoors for too long and we'd like to try some winter fishing.  We live near the lower Fraser but we're willing to drive to the beaches.  It doesn't matter what kind of fish they catch as long as they don't go home empty-handed too many days in a row.  Can anyone tell me whether we have a better chance at the tidal Fraser or at the beach?

Thank you in advance!

robbo1970

Re: Winter fishing for kids
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 05:59:44 PM »

If its not frozen you could try sunshine valley trout farm in mission.
I take my 3 and 5 year olds there and they love it

joshuag232

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 11:09:14 PM »

Could try for herring... long casts are needed though and crowded piers. Might not be the best but it's local. Could also toss some roe out and get a nice winter dolly. Cool to catch and release for the kids. Just don't post a picture  ::)

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 09:38:55 AM »

The recent warm wet weather may start to open up some of the smaller lakes soon, Rice, Sassamat, Deer, Hastings Park, Green Timbers etc,  If not, you can drop some bait or a curly jig of any pier and catch whatever is down there at the time, perch, shiners, flounder, dogfish etc.  Maybe throw a crab trap at the same time?  Might not get any keepers, but the kids might have fun just seeing what shows up in the trap, red rock crabs, starfish etc.

I've seen guys catch kokanee, trout and pikeminnow off the shores and dock at Alouette casting out krill,  shirimp, worm, eggs on a bobber/slip weight set up.

poper

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 09:46:39 AM »

A little early for the lakes,sun valley trout park will be really fun for the kids, my son loves it, takes his fly rod, it does cost a little, $23 for your family and that includes 3 fish of any size to take home, after those 3 fish if want to keep more it's $6 a fish.

chronicfisher

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 11:13:40 AM »

Sasmat lake the docks are currently closed was there yesterday to take a look.

SPEYMAN

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 01:07:10 PM »

Sumas River has a good population of Carp. Read up on corn baits for Carp and try fishing for them. McDonald Park used to have reasonable access to the river and very little traffic. Very little tackle needed. Rod,reel weights(if required)and a hook.

Patience Grasshopper, patience.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 04:44:19 PM by SPEYMAN »

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 01:47:39 PM »

Oh, you meant patience.

KarateKick

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 02:37:08 PM »

Could try for herring... long casts are needed though and crowded piers. Might not be the best but it's local. Could also toss some roe out and get a nice winter dolly. Cool to catch and release for the kids. Just don't post a picture  ::)

Thank you.  I've heard about big crowds at Steveston.  Is it possible to catch herring farther up the river?

standalone

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 02:40:46 PM »

go afternoon when low tide. will be enough room.

KarateKick

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 02:47:34 PM »

The recent warm wet weather may start to open up some of the smaller lakes soon, Rice, Sassamat, Deer, Hastings Park, Green Timbers etc, 

Thank you.  I wonder how warm it needs to be before the stocked rainbow trout are out of torpor.

If not, you can drop some bait or a curly jig of any pier and catch whatever is down there at the time, perch, shiners, flounder, dogfish etc.

Would you say using a curly tail jig is better than a small spoon at this time?

TimL

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 04:20:39 PM »

Thank you.  I wonder how warm it needs to be before the stocked rainbow trout are out of torpor.

Would you say using a curly tail jig is better than a small spoon at this time?
flounder will hit small spoons, spinners and jigs slowly trolled/retrieved on the bottom..If you are on a boat, jigging these (and curly tails) close to the bottom can be deadly. I usually combine with bait such as shrimp or sea worm for scent.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 07:29:54 PM »

Re Trout - you can get them through the ice, so anytime can be productive.  Obviously its best when they are recently stocked and the weather is warmer.  But i used to go places like Rice Lake year round as a kid and always had success.

Re Flounder etc - I prefer curly tails tipped with some sort of bait.  But i'm sure almost anything will work if they are down there.  Its been YEARS since I did any kind of that fishing though.  Show up on a pier and copy other people.  I used to just use a mister twister jig kit and put a chunk of mussel, worm, chunk of little crab or whatever on there...

Moral of the story, get out there and have some fun!  There is always something biting...kids don't care.

KarateKick

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 11:37:46 AM »

We drove to the closest beach pier and it was full of people crabbing. We ended up not fishing at all because people kept saying we would hook their crab traps, and they made fun of us for fishing there in the winter.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 12:17:46 PM »

We drove to the closest beach pier and it was full of people crabbing. We ended up not fishing at all because people kept saying we would hook their crab traps, and they made fun of us for fishing there in the winter.

Stay away with crab poachers.

Currently Lafarge lake is ice free, Buntzen lake and Sasamat lake are ice free. most of the lakes will be fishable on this weekend. The survived stock trout are feeding on chiromonids, believe it or not.