Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DIY Fly Boxes  (Read 6937 times)

cdjk123

DIY Fly Boxes
« on: January 09, 2017, 03:43:13 PM »

Hello!

In my opinion, fly boxes are outrageously priced. I'm young, poor, and still paying off my students loans. So, every little bit helps to feed this addiction!

I decided to do a *simple* step by step of how I make my own. It's really easy.
The best part is that each box works out to be about $1 in materials, and when the foam starts to look rough, you can just glue down another layer.

I like this method because it allows me to separate patterns into very specific categories. This way, I don't have to bring a big box with a variety of flies that I know won't work on whatever lake or river I'm fishing. Also, if I ever loose my flies, I don't loose ALL of them! I also always keep an empty one that I just fill up with a few select flies that I know will work well on whatever lake im on.

It works best with barbless flies, which you should be using anyways if you're in BC. Barbs seem to mash up the foam quicker. 

here it is:

http://imgur.com/gallery/j9S0o

Enjoy!  :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 03:45:13 PM by cdjk123 »

mcallagan

Re: DIY Fly Boxes
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 09:57:12 PM »

Have you tested them to see if they are waterproof?

The boxes may say they are but, actual experience is the true test.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 07:46:11 AM »

Cool. Those certainly look workable. I mostly buy the plastic and foam boxes that cost around $7 to $12 a box depending on the size and the branding. While they float they certainly are not waterproof.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 11:30:15 AM »

Nice DIY solution. I did a large version of this for the boat chironimid box rather than pay >$100 or whatever the large MFC boxes cost at the LFS.

One suggestion might be use white foam next time. I'm worried the colour of the foam may leach into your flies when it gets wet.

While not quite $1 cheap, Michaels has (or had) 1/4" thick foam sheets if you want to start with something thicker without needing to build up multiple layers.

tburns

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 01:15:43 PM »

Look awesome and kudos to you!  Don't think waterproof matters much IMO.  Personally I just buy the plastic tackle boxes with the removable inserts to store most of my flies, and just load up what I need for a day into a smaller fly box.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 02:00:17 PM »

Not a huge fan of the lid design and the depth of the containers, I feel you should looknow into thinner boxes with a hinged lid or a hinged lid and double siding.

Smart idea to make your own, however keep in mind the expensive part of fly boxes is what's inside, not the box itself.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 03:44:44 PM »

Nice! 

Here's mine:

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 08:21:06 AM »

Nice! 

Here's mine:

Perfect bag for hackled flies ;)

John Revolver

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 12:19:32 PM »

cool idea man! thanks for sharing

Seatosky

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 10:26:48 PM »

Nice work.

I use large plastic containers from Michaels and similar foam sheets to make large fly storage cases, 18"x18".  This is perfect for pumping out and safely storing large size flies in preparation for the next season.(Popsicles,intruders, etc)

The Michael's sales are always right after Christmas and Halloween. When the better half drags me there "I don't get board, I get crafty."

Shmoke Shaman

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 09:48:01 PM »

He has these bags for other things as well.......  ;D

Nice! 

Here's mine: