Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unmuzzled-Government-Scientists, Macleans, Fish Farm Issue Too  (Read 17005 times)

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Unmuzzled-Government-Scientists, Macleans, Fish Farm Issue Too
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2017, 11:08:18 AM »

So, you don't know what constitutes as a properly sited fish farm (technically speaking), but was merely making reference to the article which Bob had linked to which you disagreed with based on your experience fishing in the area?

The fact is that the BC government is responsible for the licensing and issuing of tenures where aquaculture takes place on Crown Land. Are you implying that the fish farms currently operating off the coast of BC are not approved by the province?

--Actually I did not disagree with the article I stated that there was no way to dispute that some benefits occur if everything goes right.

--Decisions were made about location of fish farms given the best available information of the day. I am not aware of nor did I imply that there are fish farms operating that do not have approval to do so. That does not mean that as new information becomes available that all current permits will be renued without any modification to best practices. I am fairly sure that the industry itself is looking toward continuous improvement of their opperations which may result in some being moved from their current location or at the least some modification of their current practices.

--More in line with the original topic Re: Unmuzzled-Government-Scientists... perhaps if unfettered technical information was available it may make for a more informed discussion.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 11:22:03 AM by skaha »

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2017, 05:20:27 PM »

--Actually I did not disagree with the article I stated that there was no way to dispute that some benefits occur if everything goes right.

--Decisions were made about location of fish farms given the best available information of the day. I am not aware of nor did I imply that there are fish farms operating that do not have approval to do so. That does not mean that as new information becomes available that all current permits will be renued without any modification to best practices. I am fairly sure that the industry itself is looking toward continuous improvement of their opperations which may result in some being moved from their current location or at the least some modification of their current practices.

--More in line with the original topic Re: Unmuzzled-Government-Scientists... perhaps if unfettered technical information was available it may make for a more informed discussion.

Well, usually decisions are made with the best information available at the time and people can disagree as to how reliable that information is to make decisions, but that's not the point I wanted to raise. You said that "the government did not approve 100% of the areas staked out and applied for" which doesn't make sense given that aquaculture companies wishing to set up shop require approval from the province for where they are placed. Whether you agree or disagree with the methodology is a separate issue.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2017, 09:38:24 AM »

He may be saying that aquaculture companies may have applied to place farms in certain areas but were turned down.

"the government did not approve 100% of the areas staked out and applied for"

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2017, 08:50:15 PM »

He may be saying that aquaculture companies may have applied to place farms in certain areas but were turned down.

True

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 10:22:27 AM »

True

"but that's not the point I wanted to raise"
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2017, 01:13:17 PM »

--One of many problems is the under funding of government scientists. We have to rely on industry and non government organizations to provide research and information used for public policy decisions.
--Who cares if Government Scientists are unmuzzled if they don't have anything to say.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2017, 05:57:52 PM »

--One of many problems is the under funding of government scientists. We have to rely on industry and non government organizations to provide research and information used for public policy decisions.
--Who cares if Government Scientists are unmuzzled if they don't have anything to say.

Exactly.  See post # 2 in this thread.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2017, 08:24:58 PM »

That's not entirely true. Scientists like Miller are engaged in active research right now but all they get asked is how bad they were muzzled in the past. It's all work in progress with no definite conclusions but it doesn't mean that they can't be asked about it. The Feds recently hired more scientists on our coast in various fields including climate change, marine mammals, shellfish and aquaculture research. The challenge now is to ensure that the foundational work in the freshwater that feeds into management and conservation decisions is not sacrificed as a result.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:27:57 PM by shuswapsteve »

speycaster

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2017, 09:23:50 AM »

I had a bit of farmed salmon last week, it was served at a gathering I was at. I would not recommend it to anyone. Maybe if you loaded it with garlic and hot sauce it would be a source of protein. Just grilled it did not taste anything like salmon. :(

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2017, 09:42:44 AM »

What an odd statement. Multiple double blind taste tests show no difference in taste or a preference for farmed fish.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2017, 05:35:44 PM »

Over my 67 years I have consumed many wild and hatchery salmonids, and over the last 20 years, quite a bit of farmed Atlantic salmon. The only difference I can detect is the flesh texture; farmed Atlantics are a bit softer and reminds me of Pacific salmonids that have been frozen.  Imo, the taste is identical.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2017, 07:59:52 PM »

I don't care for the farmed atlantics as much as I like farmed spring salmon.  Farmed Atlantics taste a bit like trout to me and rightfully so.

Like not all salmon are the same the same can be said for farm fish.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2017, 08:34:55 PM »

I must try to find some farmed chinooks; thanks aqua ;)