Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unmuzzled-Government-Scientists, Macleans, Fish Farm Issue Too  (Read 17002 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Unmuzzled-Government-Scientists, Macleans, Fish Farm Issue Too
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 10:29:09 AM »

What deserves credit and would be outstanding is if you two would answer a simple question :)
 When has salmon farming harmed wild salmon on the coast of BC and Washington?  Back to you.

Would you care what we post about the "wicked" problem. Or just keep reading pro fish farm literature while on the potty? I don't really care to know.

http://environment.geog.ubc.ca/something-is-fishy-salmon-farming-on-the-b-c-coast/
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 10:43:02 AM »

What deserves credit and would be outstanding is if you two would answer a simple question :)
 When has salmon farming harmed wild salmon on the coast of BC and Washington?  Back to you.   

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 01:39:29 PM »

Bob, Chris and troutbreath have sidestepped around this question many times .. I don't ever expect them to answer it because if they did so, truthfully, that would ruin their "argument".

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 07:52:16 AM »

ok when have fish farms benefitted or in some way helped wild salmon.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2017, 08:36:56 AM »

"6. Properly located fish and shellfish farms can result in an increase in other marine species including economically important ones such as crabs, prawns, rockfish, salmon, and clams."

http://farmfreshsalmon.org/ten-reasons-need-salmon-farms

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 08:49:07 AM »

Nice deflection ;)  Using that same analogy, how does raising ducks and geese in captivity benefit wild ducks and geese?   Of course, it probably doesn’t, but I can’t see the practice being stopped anytime soon.

People like to eat fish so there are some who think farming salmon relieves fishing pressure on wild stocks. 

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 09:23:34 AM »

"6. Properly located fish and shellfish farms can result in an increase in other marine species including economically important ones such as crabs, prawns, rockfish, salmon, and clams."

Not t be found in Bawb's washroom but recently here in BC

Another well-recognized problem associated with shellfish culture is the contamination of shellfish with domestic sewage that contains human pathogenic bacteria and viruses, which causes diseases such as typhoid fever and hepatitis.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 09:39:02 AM »

6. Properly located fish and shellfish farms can result in an increase in other marine species including economically important ones such as crabs, prawns, rockfish, salmon, and clams.
8. Salmon farm employees are often available to assist outdoor enthusiasts such as kayakers should they need help while on the water in remote areas.

--That is so nice I feel all better now.

--I haven't been fishing on the coast for several years now. Last time I went was during the gold rush staking of areas for fish farms...many of which were not properly located.  So I have to ask as I do not know... has the government cancelled the licenses of all the fish farms that were not properly located?
--I'm not against farming... in fact I would like to see more of it in the valley which is going to be flooded by the site C dam.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 09:44:57 AM by skaha »

dnibbles

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 09:34:50 PM »

Well, killing and eating a wild salmon does not benefit that wild salmon. Killing and eating a farmed salmon instead of a wild salmon results in that wild salmon being alive, which in some very obvious way helps wild salmon.

Now how have fish farms directly harmed wild salmon?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2017, 09:46:28 AM »

http://www.news1130.com/2017/01/13/dozens-oyster-related-illnesses-reported-bc-norovirus-outbreak-reported/

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2017, 11:28:31 AM »

Salmon farms contribute to increase trout infestation with sea lice

-- Republic of Ireland REPUBLIC OF IRELAND
Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 23:20 (GMT + 9)

A recent research reveals that sea trout have significantly higher levels of sea lice infestation near salmon farms.

The study, entitled 'Aquaculture and environmental drivers of salmon lice infestation and body condition in sea trout' was authored by Dr. Samuel Shephard and Dr. Paddy Gargan of Inland Fisheries Ireland alongside Craig MacIntyre of the Argyll Fisheries Trust.

--Apparently the rest of the world is concerned... I guess it just doesn't happen here

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 04:35:16 PM by skaha »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2017, 04:25:42 PM »

--Apperently the rest of the world is concurned... I guess it just doesn't happen here

Bingo!! glad someone finally gets it :D

ps    spellcheck is your friend ..

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2017, 09:57:36 PM »

--I haven't been fishing on the coast for several years now. Last time I went was during the gold rush staking of areas for fish farms...many of which were not properly located.  So I have to ask as I do not know... has the government cancelled the licenses of all the fish farms that were not properly located?

So I have to ask....do you know what constitutes as a properly located fish farm - technically speaking?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2017, 11:42:59 PM »

So I have to ask....do you know what constitutes as a properly located fish farm - technically speaking?

--I was making reference to the article which gave 10 feel good reasons for fish farms. The article indicated that "properly located fish farms can result in an increase in other species including economically important ones.... etc."

--There is no way to not agree with such a statement that some beneficial things may happen if everything goes right. Given that the government did not approve 100% of areas staked out and applied for may tend to indicate that some of the areas selected were not suitable... thus not properly located.   

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2017, 08:23:07 AM »

--I was making reference to the article which gave 10 feel good reasons for fish farms. The article indicated that "properly located fish farms can result in an increase in other species including economically important ones.... etc."

--There is no way to not agree with such a statement that some beneficial things may happen if everything goes right. Given that the government did not approve 100% of areas staked out and applied for may tend to indicate that some of the areas selected were not suitable... thus not properly located.

So, you don't know what constitutes as a properly sited fish farm (technically speaking), but was merely making reference to the article which Bob had linked to which you disagreed with based on your experience fishing in the area?

The fact is that the BC government is responsible for the licensing and issuing of tenures where aquaculture takes place on Crown Land. Are you implying that the fish farms currently operating off the coast of BC are not approved by the province?