Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unmuzzled-Government-Scientists, Macleans, Fish Farm Issue Too  (Read 17001 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Unmuzzled-Government-Scientists, Macleans, Fish Farm Issue Too
« on: January 07, 2017, 05:58:23 PM »

http://www.macleans.ca/society/unmuzzled-government-scientists-ready-to-discuss-a-decade-of-work/

Comments by Alex on this.
"This is fabulous to see! I believe this scientist holds the key to bringing wild salmon back because she can read their immune systems and find out how and where we are hurting them. We can then change our behaviour, then ask the fish if we made it better for them and they can answer us. In this way, we can strategically get out of their way. However, as this article points out - when she found that the Fraser sockeye salmon were dying by the millions just before spawning from a virus that was epidemic in salmon farms, Canada muzzled her. I found her work buried in the .5 million Cohen Commission documents and read everything she released the commission. I was stunned we have have such a remarkable scientist, who could make such a difference to our world and we had never heard of her.

Now she is free to talk, but still no one is asking her what she found, note in the last sentence she talks about the virus I have been tracking for the past 5 years. I am so grateful for the persistence of this person, she is with DFO, but has not been bullied into silence. We need to make sure that she has the opportunity to speak about her work, because viruses are dangerous and ignoring them is sheer recklessness. Thank you Maclean's."
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 06:06:24 PM by chris gadsden »

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Unmuzzled-Government-Scientists, Macleans, Fish Farm Issue Too
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 06:25:57 PM »

Go have another nap Chris. She has had a year to report what you want to hear. She and her fellow researchers have nothing to report ... yet.

Almo knows this and her response, as usual, is embarrassing.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 09:46:22 PM »

"Suggested a viral infection was causing them to die off in large numbers" was what Dr. Miller said. The study couldn't definitively say that it was a virus or if it could cause disease.

Yes, this is fabulous to see because now many like Chris don't have to trust a filtered and edited version from Ms Morton which is misleading. Now the media can question the scientists directly. Morton in the above example shows how she was really no better than the government of the day who would stifle media interviews. Both were not interested with the public getting the facts.

The measures by the previous Harper Government wasn't so much muzzling but it was the numerous hoops and hurdles that a reporter had to go through in order to interview a scientist in the federal government. Requests had to be vetted by communications which took forever to be acted on. By the time the interview or response was provided it was either much too late or not very informative. So, in essence, it might as well be characterized as muzzling because the information wasn't really flowing.

Nowadays, as the articles states, it's much more streamlined and easier to set up these media interviews. Now Chris doesn't have to rely on Morton's interpretation. Talking about changing behaviour.... maybe this will change her behaviour on how she interprets results from scientists like Dr. Miller because after Cohen critics like Morton consistently misinterpreted or omitted key information from scientists like Miller. Maybe Morton can now "get out of the way" and let the facts come out instead of having information filtered through her.

No one is asking her? Well, I'm sure Morton owns a phone or has a computer with internet service so she could ask Dr. Miller directly. Miller talks about the virus Morton has been tracking? Lol. Morton subtly implies that she is part of mainstream science but she is anything but mainstream. Taking a cruise on a sail boat taking pictures and video and posting on social media is not mainstream science. It's called propaganda. Viruses can be dangerous, but so is misinformation and a misinformed public.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 10:53:00 PM »

--The muzzle is never really off... it may be less on. For the most part the Scientists will have the same managers thus no matter what government may portray the managers are by nature risk adverse. I doubt that any single study could difinitively prove even the simplest event.
--What I would like to see is if money is going to be made available to try and answer these important questions.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 12:02:07 AM »

--The muzzle is never really off... it may be less on. For the most part the Scientists will have the same managers thus no matter what government may portray the managers are by nature risk adverse. I doubt that any single study could difinitively prove even the simplest event.
--What I would like to see is if money is going to be made available to try and answer these important questions.
You raised a very good question Skaha.
 Over to you Doc Morton. :)
http://fairquestions.typepad.com/rethink_campaigns/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 12:30:24 AM by Fisherbob »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 10:48:13 AM »

You raised a very good question Skaha.
 Over to you Doc Morton. :)
http://fairquestions.typepad.com/rethink_campaigns/

Doesn't take you long to fall back on your fellow fish farmer Vivian. Chew on some ferns Bawb.

http://www.nationalobserver.com/2015/05/04/news/duffy-connected-charity-critic-lucrative-industry-cash
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 11:10:07 AM by troutbreath »
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 11:28:27 AM »

Interesting post TB.  Very political yet amidst it all there is not a blip that what Vivian has brought forward is incorrect.  Like she states "fair questions".  The politics of this changes nothing.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 01:49:46 PM »

Interesting post TB.  Very political yet amidst it all there is not a blip that what Vivian has brought forward is incorrect.  Like she states "fair questions".  The politics of this changes nothing.

http://www.albertaoilmagazine.com/2016/10/opinion-time-energy-industry-ignore-vivian-krause/

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 12:30:02 PM »

Yup looks like some American interest groups do not like what Vivian has to say LOL. :)

Weaving and bawbing on your posts.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 12:52:52 AM »

Weaving and bawbing on your posts.
How so TB? Do tell :)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 12:59:16 AM »

Chew on some ferns Bawb.
What flavour would you suggest TB? I like this one.   :)
http://www.ehow.com/list_7624714_fiddlehead-ferns-edible.html
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 01:45:17 AM by Fisherbob »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 07:40:00 AM »

What flavour would you suggest TB? I like this one.   :)
http://www.ehow.com/list_7624714_fiddlehead-ferns-edible.html

Thanks for posting something interesting and edible as well for a change. I even learned which ferns were the best to eat.

http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/food/edibleplants/ostrichfern/

now if you actually posted a fishing report......

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 07:48:30 AM »

Thanks for posting something interesting and edible as well for a change. I even learned which ferns were the best to eat.

http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/food/edibleplants/ostrichfern/

now if you actually posted a fishing report......
Well he has now posted on at least 2 topics, give him credit for that. ;D ;D

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 08:21:40 AM »

What deserves credit and would be outstanding is if you two would answer a simple question :)
 When has salmon farming harmed wild salmon on the coast of BC and Washington?  Back to you.