Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2016/17 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 98459 times)

b8floater

Couldn't post this yesterday, so this is a day late. Here's a quick little river report as of 2:30pm yesterday!
https://youtu.be/OToHwt5VScU

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

Any update on water visibility? Thanks.

santefe

Just returned from the river.  Went up to the slab, high and coloured maybe a foot or less visibility.
Too high for my liking.  Walked the spawning channel at the hatchery and saw nary a fish.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Fairly cool this evening so may come around by tomorrow, if the rain holds off.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

Just returned from the river.  Went up to the slab, high and coloured maybe a foot or less visibility.
Too high for my liking.  Walked the spawning channel at the hatchery and saw nary a fish.

It is either a slow year or that the steelheaders are getting very efficient at catching and landing every hatchery fish since December. LOL.

armytruck

• Old Timer

It is either a slow year or that the steelheaders are getting very efficient at catching and landing every hatchery fish since December. LOL.
                            Steelheader Sealions AR AR AR  :o
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Dave

• Old Timer

Yes, a very slow year for hatchery steelhead, but was earlier predicted to be so.  The juveniles released for this years return were undersized and possibly had some disease issues.
Speaking to a few locals who fish the upper river (above Tamihi Creek) ... all wild fish, virtually no hatcheries.
In the next few weeks what hatchery steelhead made it through the gauntlet of anglers will be arriving at the hatchery overflow; I predict not many will show.

From what I hear the juvies now rearing are up to optimum size (for this time of year) so if ocean conditions are favorable expect better returns in 2-3 years.

joshhowat

Did they struggle with brood stock at all?
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

Dave

• Old Timer

I understand most brood stock was captured in the upper river, and many of those by hatchery staff in the closed area.

Buck and I are looking forward to monitoring the three areas we have counted for the past six years; stay tuned :D

joshhowat

Thanks
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Visibility looked around 18 inches when I looked today and is raining again now.

John Revolver

any reports on conditions today?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Poor conditions.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Drewhill

Didn't hear a lot about the Wall Hall Derby this year. I know the winning fish was on the smaller size. What were the numbers like in terms of amount of fish weighed in? Seems like it's been a slower year this year.