Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Public input wanted for Thompson River steelhead recovery plan  (Read 6354 times)

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
Re: Public input wanted for Thompson River steelhead recovery plan
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 05:02:07 PM »

i am a little uncertain exactly the input they want from the public. the links in the recovery plan are going to be a little much for the average person to understand.  i read alot of the documents in the links and it looks like most of the fraser river issues were commercial and first nation economic issues that need addressing. in the report it stated sport fishing Incidental mortality from catch and release ~ 1% or less depending on inseason closure. in also says Restrict all sport fishing for several life cycles.

its really sad to see that there is only an estimated 325 for the hole thompson river system. personally i think a good start is listing them under Species at Risk Assessment like it states on the draft. maybe that will give dfo the tools it needs to move to the next level of conservation. i know there are a lot of smart people on this forum that are far more educated in this topic than most, maybe they can shed some more light on this topic and share how the average person that cares for stealhead can help.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 09:17:28 PM »

Bump to the top.

Their proposing a closure of recreational fishing for a number of seasons and limiting the lower Fraser net fishery (we'll see about that) so worth putting in your imput on this.

Start from the questionaire and read the pages it specifically asks about.

link to the questionaire

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1nCs37S9l2ql-KnRCtZouF_CJlf40smEfI6KlgyX1t4M/viewform?edit_requested=true

link to the report

http://www.fraserbasin.bc.ca/_Library/TR/thompson_steelhead_plan_draft_23nov16.pdf

avid angler

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 07:29:13 PM »

What ever happened with this? 175 fish predicted to return to the Thompson and 55 to the chilcotin. How low do the numbers have to get to actually take action? Disappointed to see pictures on Instagram of people up there this year with the numbers so gravely low and even more dissapointed that there still commercial fishing chum. These are the best fish in the province why is their so little noise about this and their on the verge of disappearing forever. The time to do something is now.

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 08:19:58 PM »

I cancelled a trip up I had planned. I couldn't do it. With numbers this low I am not going to possibly put a few more fish at risk.
Glad I saw the better times. I fully expect that I will never shake hands with one of these fish on purpose again in my lifetime.
These meetings have been done time and again. DFO will do nothing, the water theiving farmers will do nothing and the ministry will pretend no angling will help the river.
More Thompson Steelhead were killed in 2 days of Commercial gillnetting this year than angler mortality in the last 30, now thats a fact you can bank on.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 08:22:32 PM »

I had this same kinda argument with my dad that ended with him saying “ why do you care, when was the last time you seen anyone catch one?”

Out of sight out of mind I guess

avid angler

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 08:58:35 PM »

And anyone who has ever shook hands with one of these fish should care. I would rather lose the fishery forever then lose the fish

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 10:42:50 PM »

I could not agree more!!!!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 10:44:53 PM by greyghost »
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Robert_G

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 08:27:26 AM »

Waste of time. Everyone knows that those who hold the power to change things aren't going to budge.....and at the end of the day that means nothing will change.
Anyone see all those commercial boats in the lower Fraser a few days ago? Can't save them with that sort of thing going on during the prime of steelhead migration.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 08:29:04 AM by Robert_G »

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 09:51:46 AM »

Hopefully the majority of them passed by before the big commi openings.
I allways thought peek time in the lower Fraser was around 1st week of October.

fyrslyer

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 11:44:32 AM »

Shut down netting for EVERYONE between the mouth of the Fraser and  the Thompson, with strict enforcement on EVERYONE. That will give these fish their best chance.

avid angler

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 12:03:36 PM »

Hopefully the majority of them passed by before the big commi openings.
I allways thought peek time in the lower Fraser was around 1st week of October.
peak migration through the lower is around the 10thish but used to continue strong through mid November. Obviously not the case any more. Fyrslayer there was talk last year of listing them as endangered. Shutting down all netting from Richmond to Lytton and obviously no sports fishing for several cycles.. I’ll see if I can dig up the link if it still exists. Too much of the gene pool has been lost but I could see the numbers stabilizing around 1500-2000 fish if they stop getting killed between the port Mann and hope
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 12:07:42 PM by avid angler »

quill

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 02:18:09 PM »

Shut down the Fraser and effort will shift to Johnstone Strait and Nitnat.  Needs a rolling closure from Alaska to the spawning beds.

An endangered listing will take a minimum of four years.  No guarantees.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 02:34:39 PM »

Needs a rolling closure from Alaska to the spawning beds.
And Greg, that of course is why this closure will never happen.
What is needed is a Fisheries Minister cloned from David Anderson.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 03:43:29 PM »

Surly with today’s technology we can figure out how to effectively target one species of salmon and limit the loss of others.

All it takes is the will of the people! Do you have any will left to fight? Write letters, take part