Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish today (Remembrance Day 2016)  (Read 13843 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Squamish today (Remembrance Day 2016)
« on: November 11, 2016, 10:39:54 PM »

With a poppy on my fishing hat, I drove up the Sea to Sky today to fish the Squam below the Mam.
After spending a couple hours chasing coho, I went on to fish chum  for the rest of the afternoon.  Wading back was dicy as the river came up almost two feet compared to where it had been when I ventured out to my preferred location.
I hit the tide perfectly and was rewarded with several gorgeous fish.
This one came home with me:

Out of the river this fish was fresh coho chrome with no coloring to speak of. It kept the colour quite nicely afterwards, too.
And the roe? OMG! Best ikura I've ever had. :D
Purple and orange jigs were the ticket.

Sadly, with this rain, the Squamish will be shot for the rest of the long weekend. :(

Sir Snag-A-Lot

Re: Squamish today (Remembrance Day 2016)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 11:57:38 AM »

Gorgeous fish. I looked at the picture before reading and spotted the adipose fin. I thought the forum was about the explode about you killing a wild coho!

TimL

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 03:31:03 PM »

Nice fish  :D I caught a nice chrome doe similar to yours on the Stave a couple of days ago but it had single eggs instead of skeins. Roe was still fresh though..made a small portion into ikura and it was good.

Sabre

• Bite Me
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 04:30:22 PM »

Nice fish buddy  :)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 06:58:31 PM »

You don't freeze it first before eating?
Scary. :o

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 11:09:55 PM »

Nice fish Milo.  For a while I thought nobody knows what a clean chum looks like ;D ;D ;D
It ain't the roe bro'

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 12:28:43 AM »

You don't freeze it first before eating?
Scary. :o

No. If you freeze the roe, it's done. Good for sturgeon bait, but not for caviar.
The roe is well protected from parasites and bacteria, just like a baby is in her mother's womb.
No problem eating roe fresh.

As for the fish, most times I will freeze it, especially if it is going into sashimi or gravlax, but if cooked, no problem.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 07:59:29 AM »

No. If you freeze the roe, it's done. Good for sturgeon bait, but not for caviar.
The roe is well protected from parasites and bacteria, just like a baby is in her mother's womb.

As for the fish, most times I will freeze it, especially if it is going into sashimi or gravlax, but if cooked, no problem.

Hmmm, well protected eh? That's what old Scratchy Butt used to say until the infamous "worms in the hot tub" incident of 2005. Old Scratchy Butt never seemed to enjoy raw fish or caviar as much any more after that. Hey, I'm sure your fish is fine though - enjoy.

Nice Chum by the way.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 09:32:31 AM »

Hmmm, well protected eh? That's what old Scratchy Butt used to say until the infamous "worms in the hot tub" incident of 2005. Old Scratchy Butt never seemed to enjoy raw fish or caviar as much any more after that. Hey, I'm sure your fish is fine though - enjoy.

Nice Chum by the way.

LOL who's old scratchy butt Rieber, is this bringing back bad old memories? :o

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 10:38:46 AM »

I have often seen anasakis worms and cysts inside roe skeins. However, I believe that most people brine the roe in salt before eating, which should kill most things. I'm not sure what process you go through with your roe before eating, but I guess separating the eggs from the skein would also help you effectively remove parasites since they won't actually be inside any eggs.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 10:59:04 AM »

I have often seen anasakis worms and cysts inside roe skeins. However, I believe that most people brine the roe in salt before eating, which should kill most things. I'm not sure what process you go through with your roe before eating, but I guess separating the eggs from the skein would also help you effectively remove parasites since they won't actually be inside any eggs.

Exactly. I separate the eggs and rinse them thoroughly. Any worm should get flushed at that point. Then I brine the eggs for 30 minutes in salty water at room temperature. Afterwards, I rinse them again and add salt until they achieve the saltiness I like. Never had any issues with fish I handled myself.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 11:00:12 AM »

Brine doesn't kill anasakis, they already live in one big brine. ;D Temperature is the killer, either really high (cooking the fish fully), or really low (household freezer for 7 days). Our roe/ikura is never consumed unless it is frozen after it is prepared. Many years ago we had a family member who had anasakis after ingesting raw fish that has not been frozen, so none of us are keen to get that after seeing what it can do... ;)

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 02:23:38 PM »

You probably have to brine first then freeze. Just like you have to do to cure your roe so it doesn't turn to mush from the ice crystals perforating the eggs from the inside out.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 03:16:02 PM »

You probably have to brine first then freeze. Just like you have to do to cure your roe so it doesn't turn to mush from the ice crystals perforating the eggs from the inside out.

Hmmm....that makes sense. Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a try with the next batch.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 09:08:43 PM »

Oh how I miss the Squamish buddy. Glad you were able to get up there and enjoy that fishery.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family