Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trout Beads  (Read 5477 times)

robbo1970

Trout Beads
« on: November 01, 2016, 05:13:58 AM »

I watched a episode of Fly Fusion the other day and they were fishing for trout behind spawning sockeye. I believe they were using either egg patterns or beads.
This got me wondering whether this would be a good tactic around here on the waters I normally fish.
I have read Pacific Anglers post on bead fishing up on the Squamish, and I was wondering what other people's thought were on waters like Chehalis, Harrison, Dewdney Slough and alike.
I think I am going to give it a go next weekend, after all there has to be trout there too trying to get the eggs surely.

Happy fishing, Rob

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Trout Beads
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 04:34:08 PM »

Lots of people both fly and gear have taken to pegging beads. I haven't tried it but those who do claim it is at least as effective as yarn.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bobby b

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 07:32:26 PM »

Yup beads work for trout on these local waters , salmon hit 'em too. Caught a few nice sized bulls on the Vedder with beads. Have also caught a Vedder Steelhead on a pegged bead.

So far I've had the best luck with a mottled or blood-dot colour/pattern.

robbo1970

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 07:51:56 PM »

I picked up a few different ones when I lived in Steveston and was going to head up to the Squamish and try for the Bulls with them but never got round to it.
I saw them in the shed and remembered that show. Now i live down in the valley Squamish is a bit far. I've never fished Dewdney or the Chehalis for trout before so I thought I'd give it a go.
I know there's a few rainbows in the Chehalis, not so sure about Dewdney though.
I'm going to give it a try though, if you don't try you never know. And it will make a change from trying to get a salmon to bite a fly.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 07:32:07 PM »

Fished properly beads can be deadly.  I use them mostly for clear water scenarios where you want a small presentation. Did very good with them on steelhead last year before the water rose
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

prairiefire

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 10:37:42 AM »

I've been interested in trying this as well. What size of beads do people use?
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

robbo1970

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 08:34:41 PM »

The ones I have are 8mm.

There's a good website, trout beads.com I think it's called.

Also if.your in the area the guys at Pacific Angler are pretty helpful, they fish them on the Squamish a fair bit.

I am going to give it a go Sunday, maybe at either Dewdney or Chehalis, Harrison is really high.

It's going.to look a little odd a guy beading for trout amongst all the salmon fishermen

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 09:14:52 AM »

10 mm beads are what I use. I have a few in 8 mm as well. 10 mm is a good size to represent Chinook and Chum eggs. 8mm for sockeye, coho and steelhead. Only time I've used the 8mm are when the water is ultra gin clear and did not add in any wool, normally I like to add a little bit of wool with the bead.....you can also inject the wool with scent ;-)
Check out our new blog

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 09:19:33 AM »

I don't use beads very often .......  8)

Check out our new blog