Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dominican Republic, Oct 2016  (Read 4805 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Dominican Republic, Oct 2016
« on: October 23, 2016, 08:26:07 PM »

My wife and I just got back from a vacation on Cayo Levantado, a small island in Samana Bay in the DR.  I have never fished tropical waters so I was keen to give it a go during our trip. I didn't do any guided fishing trips; I may have caught more or bigger fish on a charter, but (a) I'm a cheap bugger and (b) I derived a great deal of satisfaction of going out and figuring it out on my own.   

90% of the time I was jigging/twitching Berkley power grubs, although I did toss some gear and flyfished too.   

Most of my fishing was on a freight wharf on the back side of the island. I got up at dawn to avoid the heat of the day and my wife was more than happy to sleep in while I trundled off.     

This is some of what I caught. (And keep in mind I had no idea what I was catching at the time! I'd take a picture of my catch and then go back to the room to Google the interweb to figure out what it was :)   

Sanddiver:

This is the most common species that I caught amost every outing on jigs, spoons and fly. Very aggressive predatory fish.  Not unlike the lingcod from our local temperate waters

Snapper: A lane snapper, I believe.

Grunt: And yes, they do making grunting noises.

Needlefish:

Smaller needlefish (around 12") were quite common in the waters and they would show interest in the lure but seldom commit. This big one (around 18") hammered the fly and went apesh!t on the surface, jumping and dancing. It was a a sight to see and a fun tussle on my 5 wt.   

Squid:

Several squid would follow the fly in but they wouldn't hit at it on the retrieve. I had to hang the fly just below the surface and the bigger squid would approach it and engulf it with their front tentalcles. If the squid had a good grasp on it, I could lift the rod tip and "floss" the squid :) On the dock, they squirted out a puddle of ink, and when released in the water they would disappear in a second cloud of ink.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 08:42:31 PM by clarki »

sbc hris

Re: Dominican Republic, Oct 2016
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 11:42:03 AM »

Very interesting, thanks for the report and photos!
I think your new forum name should be "squid flosser" though  ;D

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 11:55:54 AM »

Nice pics, so many cute fish to catch close to shore.  The needlefish (ballyhoo) makes a great bait.  If you would have thrown him back out there rigged up with a trailing hook you would have caught a barracuda on it for sure.

Morty

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 05:13:13 PM »

Great report.  Thanks for sharing.
I enjoy vicariously fishing with you :-)
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 08:36:18 PM »

thanks for sharing
It ain't the roe bro'

Dogbreath

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 01:44:36 PM »

The needlefish (ballyhoo) makes a great bait
That's not a Ballyhoo they're two different species.

And the Needlefish or Pez Aguja or Aguhon is a Very Dangerous Critter not to be trifled with one opened my leg up like a can opener because of carelessness.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 06:28:53 PM »

That's not a Ballyhoo they're two different species.

And the Needlefish or Pez Aguja or Aguhon is a Very Dangerous Critter not to be trifled with one opened my leg up like a can opener because of carelessness.

Yeah, I was pretty careful around the fish. Having no idea what I was catching and who the bad hombres ;) were, I didn't know if they had poisonous spines, or what... I handled them as little as possible, used the pliers to remove the hook and got them back in the water with my foot.