Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Passing the rod  (Read 7483 times)

fisher85

Passing the rod
« on: October 23, 2016, 03:54:15 PM »

Just a quick question when you limit out and hook another fish is it illegal to pass your rod to someone else who hasn't limited out yet to land the fish?
FYI I don't plan on keeping the fish they land that I hooked I stay within my limits

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Passing the rod
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 04:10:48 PM »

Not illegal providing he/she has a valid fishing licence.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 05:47:46 PM »

Personally I think if its a family member that can legally retain the fish then by all means hand it off to them.

If its a friend or non-family fishing partner, then only you catch and release the fish. if your friend/partner doesn't catch fish on his own and you feel compelled to share one of yours with them then that's what you do when you get home.

Just because you're an effective fisherman doesn't mean you can fill your friends day limit.

That's my opinion.

I would be curious with these fishing shows as to how often the "stars of the show" get a rod/fish handed to them so they can get footage.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 08:37:52 PM »

Wet foot, dry foot.
If the rod is passed before the fish hits the bank it is a valid catch suitable for retention by the lander.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 11:24:54 AM »

Guides hook and pass the rod.off all the time.
Valid license, valid catch.
BUT, the end player owns the fish.

I've passed the rod on occasion.
Not because I had my limit or wanted more but to relieve some of the stress that occurs when those that are new need that pump of adrenaline they were seeking.

Soon they'll do it by themselves with an appreciation they might not otherwise get, other  than being pushed to alternative methods frowned upon by most of us.

Coach them through, help them land properly (and release if needed or wanted)

It's called learning.

Dryfly22

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 11:46:00 AM »

I know of a guy that got a ticket during sockeye season.  The CO's were watching.  He had his limit of fish(sockeye) which he had bonked himself and was still fishing.  He helped the person beside him that landed a fish by bonking it for them.  the CO's came out from where they were watching and gave him a ticket for killing more than his limit of sockeye.  Didn't care that he was helping someone else and wasn't retaining that fish.  Seems unfair to me, just saying you might want to be careful with that one.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 11:53:55 AM »

I don't have a problem with people passing the rod to a licensed fisher when the fish is first hooked...what I have a problem with is seeing parents pass the rod to their young (free licensed) kids when the fish is literally on the shore. People like that are obviously using a grey area as a loop hole to retain fish above their daily limit.

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 12:17:58 PM »

Kids without license have the same retention quotas?

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 12:34:22 PM »

Kids without license have the same retention quotas?
Yes in Fresh Water only.  If they fish in the salt water, then they need a Tidal license (free age 16 and under), but need to buy the salmon stamp

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 12:36:27 PM »

I know of a guy that got a ticket during sockeye season.  The CO's were watching.  He had his limit of fish(sockeye) which he had bonked himself and was still fishing.  He helped the person beside him that landed a fish by bonking it for them.  the CO's came out from where they were watching and gave him a ticket for killing more than his limit of sockeye.  Didn't care that he was helping someone else and wasn't retaining that fish.  Seems unfair to me, just saying you might want to be careful with that one.

I don't know about that...if that was the case, then he should have fought that in court. It's about retention and it's obvious the guy landing the fish had every intention of keeping it...he hooked and landed it himself so if he gave the guy permission to bonk the fish there should be no issues. 

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 01:42:41 PM »

When I was a kid someone told me chocolate milk comes from brown cows...
There's obviously a few parts of the story missing and if not; he should of fought it.
If they were in the bushes they were probably watching

Mistakes happen though, so I'm not saying it's not true.
But...

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 03:11:04 PM »

Pretty chessy to me

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 03:26:56 PM »

Last court case I heard about the judge ruled that the person who netted the fish was responsible for possesion. This was a case when a guy was being guided and retained an illegal fish. So it's possible the judge just wanted to place the blame on the guide. As for worried about DFO there only gonna care if you have more in your possession then your licenced for or needlessly kill more or harass more 

When possession of a fish occurs it a big arguing point for the courts. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 03:44:06 PM by wildmanyeah »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 03:49:44 PM »

I don't know about that...if that was the case, then he should have fought that in court. It's about retention and it's obvious the guy landing the fish had every intention of keeping it...he hooked and landed it himself so if he gave the guy permission to bonk the fish there should be no issues.

Its about possession and when the possession occurs.  It pretty cut and dry that when you land a fish with your hands and kill it that you have now assumed possession for it. Also why bother fighting the pinch in court just pay it. You're gonna have to rely on how the judge rules and that's always a crap shoot.

Now if they were not watching and only saw it in the back of your truck tottle different story.

Birkenhead

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 04:37:34 PM »

I posed this question to a CO about 7-8 years ago when fishing near Kamloops. His reply was whomever kills the fish, has assumed possession of it and counts against your limit, regardless if you are only helping your fishing buddy. He also mentioned that there is some leeway and case by case basis in enforcing or not enforcing. For example, humanely killing a fish that your younger child caught, assisting a disabled person etc.