Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bigger hooks or Smaller hooks for light hits  (Read 2491 times)

dave c

Bigger hooks or Smaller hooks for light hits
« on: October 21, 2016, 10:39:40 PM »

Hello All:  Just wondering what you guys prefer when coho are hitting light. Do you size up or down?  I had one of those days where I was on a run all to myself and in the span of 3 hrs. had the float disappear close to 20 times, had fish on 8 times some for a few seconds some almost to the beach.  Managed to land only 1 chromer and one colored.  I usually fish with 2/0 however downsized to a 2 without any improvement.  Many times I was immediately on the hookset however fish refused to stay on.  I tried waiting a bit longer before hookset but the float would just pop up.

wallygator24

Re: Bigger hooks or Smaller hooks for light hits
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 02:58:06 AM »

If you are concerned about the hook you can always try a gamakatsu big river hook, sickle hook, they do make them in smaller sizes.  I have noticed that you get a better hook set and they hold the fish a little longer.  I really noticed it while using them with Colorado spinner with light biting coho.   
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 05:45:23 AM by wallygator24 »

243Pete

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 05:31:07 AM »

For myself I like the smaller hook sizes, seems to stay in better or at least that is what I've experienced.
I'm currently using Maruto size 10 sickle catfish hooks (equivalent to a size 4 Gami) for first light cohos, if a chum grabs it I'm not worried about the hook bending or straightening out unlike the Gami's.
I think it's mostly preference as I know friends who use size 1/0 and 2/0 Gami's and Owners without any issue when landing coho.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 09:10:14 AM »

Rather than changing up the hook why not try a different approach such as shortening the depth you are fishing? I've found that if I am getting fish on but losing them that if I shorten up by a few inches it makes the fish commit more to the bite rather than just mouthing it lightly as it goes past them.

I myself use a #2 gami for almost all my lower mainland fishing, I also touch up the point with a file and make it silly sharp.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 09:46:02 AM »

Maybe its the hook size relative to roe size. A tiny hook buried in a big gob of roe is not going have optimal hookup ratios IMHO.

Also if you are getting lots of float downs without hookups also consider it could be jack coho or other small fish that are roe pigs but cant/dont take the entire roe+hook presentation into their mouths. 

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 07:40:52 PM »

Size 2 generally for me.....
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

dave c

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 08:13:17 PM »

Rather than changing up the hook why not try a different approach such as shortening the depth you are fishing? I've found that if I am getting fish on but losing them that if I shorten up by a few inches it makes the fish commit more to the bite rather than just mouthing it lightly as it goes past them.

I myself use a #2 gami for almost all my lower mainland fishing, I also touch up the point with a file and make it silly sharp.
Thanks Johnny.  Interesting take (pun not intended). Will definitely try, it makes perfect sense, while shortening up might not result in as many takes, the ones that do hit might result in a more aggressive strike.  That particular day the takes were almost every other drift.