Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's the deal with all the snaggers?  (Read 19138 times)

dufflayer

Re: What's the deal with all the snaggers?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2016, 09:30:40 AM »

You're either a troll or completely clueless. I'll let you divulge.

Well. I fish for Salmon at Ferry Island using a 13'6" Spey rod. I fish 540gr compact skagit with a 2.5' float 7.5' T-14 mow tip. From that I run a 5' 15lb Maxima leader and a size 1 gammy with some wool pinched in a baitloop.

I didn't grow up doing this. In-fact I grew up chucking frogs and countdowns for Muskoka Largemouth. This is just the way people fish that bar. I learned from some friends that have been fishing the Skeena for 20+ years. I spoke to a number of guides like Ron Wakita and Noel Gyger that insisted this is how you catch fish here. Even the YouTube famous Captain Quinn has a video describing this method.
The only variance from this technique that I saw this summer were two mouth-breathers from Vancouver that stood in the middle of the riffle and "Czech nymphed" with big Steelhead patterns.

What I am asking is if I am all of a sudden wrong. Maybe it's a difference in fishing culture, or maybe I am getting my terminology wrong.

Not trolling, hence me asking you to excuse my ignorance.  ;)
Go Leafs Go

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2016, 09:56:57 AM »

Well. I fish for Salmon at Ferry Island using a 13'6" Spey rod. I fish 540gr compact skagit with a 2.5' float 7.5' T-14 mow tip. From that I run a 5' 15lb Maxima leader and a size 1 gammy with some wool pinched in a baitloop.

I didn't grow up doing this. In-fact I grew up chucking frogs and countdowns for Muskoka Largemouth. This is just the way people fish that bar. I learned from some friends that have been fishing the Skeena for 20+ years. I spoke to a number of guides like Ron Wakita and Noel Gyger that insisted this is how you catch fish here. Even the YouTube famous Captain Quinn has a video describing this method.
The only variance from this technique that I saw this summer were two mouth-breathers from Vancouver that stood in the middle of the riffle and "Czech nymphed" with big Steelhead patterns.

What I am asking is if I am all of a sudden wrong. Maybe it's a difference in fishing culture, or maybe I am getting my terminology wrong.

Not trolling, hence me asking you to excuse my ignorance.  ;)

The easiest way to tell if you're a snagger when you're dredging with heavy sink tips is to switch to circle hooks. If your catch rate goes to zero then you are flossing.
If you are flossing then you are intentionally snagging fish (hopefully) in the mouth. This is unethical and borderline illegal.

Odd that you called the czech nympers "mouth breathers" since it is almost impossible to floss/snag fish with a dead drifted vertical presentation. It is one of the most ethical methods to use, regardless of effectiveness.

dufflayer

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2016, 10:22:01 AM »

The easiest way to tell if you're a snagger when you're dredging with heavy sink tips is to switch to circle hooks. If your catch rate goes to zero then you are flossing.
If you are flossing then you are intentionally snagging fish (hopefully) in the mouth. This is unethical and borderline illegal.

Odd that you called the czech nympers "mouth breathers" since it is almost impossible to floss/snag fish with a dead drifted vertical presentation. It is one of the most ethical methods to use, regardless of effectiveness.

That's where I am confused. Why are reputable guides in the area endorsing this? Is it borderline illegal in an interpretive sense?
Is it a cultural difference? Or am I still completely clueless on how to fish?
Now that you mention it I supposed it could be interpreted as "snagging" in that I wasn't skating dry flies across the buckets...
If a fisheries or conservation officer stops to check me for my stamps, will they critique my technique and give me a fine/warning? I release foul hooked fish, but these are rare to begin with.
I called these guys mouth-breathers independently of their style. They were ignorant. Throwing cigarette butts in the river, spent line all over the rocks, and didn't move for locals fighting fish down the river. I spoke with them, they were alright. They said they flew up because they couldn't fish down there or something like that. Tourists.

I don't know man. I'm not arguing. I'm just confused and wondering if I have been misled.
Go Leafs Go

Sinaran

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2016, 01:39:51 PM »

::)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 02:06:50 AM by Sinaran »
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Hoop71

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2016, 01:42:44 PM »

Was at the Stave today and where I was fishing about 75% of the people were flossing/snagging. There was a gentleman next to me who brought his 2 sons (maybe 6/9 years old) and the were letting her rip just like good old dad. :'(

I don't know why it bothers me so much but I get very upset when I see people flossing, there is no sport in that. I know they are there to just harvest some "free" meat but there is no challenge at all.

I actually left early as it was bothering me.

On another note, anyone have a boat that is willing to drop me off at one of the islands in the stave and then pick me up about 5 hrs later? ;D I see those islands sooo close yet sooo far and you get away from the snaggers a bit.

dufflayer

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 02:21:52 PM »

Ok so I've read through it and I'm somewhat convinced that flossing straddles an ethical boundary.
I'm glad I can come to a place like FWR where I can learn about this type of thing.
But can anyone actually explain to me how you fish for Salmon? If I ditch the sink tip and tie on a prettier fly, does that make it alright?
Go Leafs Go

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 02:29:28 PM »

I'll get the popcorn

dufflayer

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2016, 02:47:17 PM »

Doesn't answer my question.
Go Leafs Go

dufflayer

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2016, 02:54:14 PM »

But can anyone actually explain to me how you fish for Salmon?

Just tell me already... Or is it a secret???
Go Leafs Go

dufflayer

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2016, 03:01:57 PM »

You sound like you are trolling hard but somehow I get the feeling you are serious? You put something on your hook that entices them to bite at it.

I am not trolling. I am sitting here trying to figure out how to do this the RIGHT way. Either you don't want to help, or you don't know how to fish. If I can describe in-detail my 8wt "snagging rig" you could probably describe in-detail an ethical fly fishing set-up. "Something on your hook that entices them to bite?" Come on man, we're adults here.
Go Leafs Go

acjuve

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2016, 03:14:12 PM »

Well  this morning I decided to go to the Stave and most of the guys around me  80% were catching fish by flossing and the rest no fish because we were ethical, some of them were returning to their cars to put the fish they caught and then they came  back for more!!

dufflayer

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2016, 03:26:26 PM »

Screw it. I don't even see the point in asking. I've asked for help so many times on this forum and all I get are cheeky self-preserving answers. What do you expect from the fishing community when all you put in is arrogance?
I've spent some time here and all I've seen is people putting politics and egos before sharing, teaching, and helping.
I asked a question about fish parasites once and the twit that commented just wanted to critique my photography skills rather than contribute.
I live in the north. Meat here is about a third of the price more than what it is for lower mainlanders. I love fishing and I love eating fish. I WANT to learn how to do this properly so I can keep doing it, and my kids can keep doing it.

I'm not going to let this die. I'm just going to get my answers somewhere else.
Go Leafs Go

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2016, 03:52:45 PM »

Snagging as defined in the current BC freshwater sportfishing regulations synopsis:  "snagging (foul hooking)… hooking a fish in any other part of its body other than the mouth. Attempting to snag fish of any species is prohibited. Any fish willfully or accidently snagged must be released immediately."

The way the regulations are currently written, if you are trying to hook a fish in the mouth, it is not snagging.  There is not currently a rule which says the fish must bite your lure or bait.  Until there is, I don't see any "grey area", flossing isn't violating any currently written rule.  That doesn't mean it is ethical.  That does mean it is legal.

The best way to get people to change the way they fish is to show them that your chosen method can be successful.  People imitate success.  I have met a couple people on the river this season that have said they started fishing for salmon on the Fraser, and this is their first year on the V/C.  They literally don't know of another way to catch fish.  Show them.  Offer to share a bit of roe with them, or offer them a chum jig.  Show them how to rig up. 

I often offer to net or land fish for other anglers that appear new to the sport - rather than worrying that they are going to drag a foul hooked wild coho up on to the beach, I just assume they want to release the fish and make it happen.  I'm sure I saved a Cultus lake sockeye and multiple wild coho by doing this earlier this season.  I understand that it can be frustrating to fish around those who aren't doing it ethically, but if all the ethical anglers give up and move on, the situation will get worse, not better. 

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2016, 04:19:14 PM »

Another good post WAfishboy!  You seem to be a credit to the angling community and many of us thank you for it. Keep fighting the good fight :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2016, 04:30:18 PM »

Snagging as defined in the current BC freshwater sportfishing regulations synopsis:  "snagging (foul hooking)… hooking a fish in any other part of its body other than the mouth. Attempting to snag fish of any species is prohibited. Any fish willfully or accidently snagged must be released immediately."

The way the regulations are currently written, if you are trying to hook a fish in the mouth, it is not snagging.  There is not currently a rule which says the fish must bite your lure or bait.  Until there is, I don't see any "grey area", flossing isn't violating any currently written rule.  That doesn't mean it is ethical.  That does mean it is legal.

Well said