Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River Report, October 17, 2016  (Read 5991 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River Report, October 17, 2016
« on: October 17, 2016, 10:35:01 PM »

Just back from badminton so a brief report.

Back on the river at first light and no one around, nice to have a run to ones self. the first fish I landed after a few misses was my first jack coho of the season a unclipped fish.

Several bites and chum landed and lost also two coho lost and then a hatchery coho to take home for the BBQ.

Was good to meet Nicholas The Fisherman this morning who was into several coho and I am sure he got more as I headed for coffee around 10ish.

I am sure the action will b good for those that can get out if the  rain we had today does not color up the water. If it does it will come back in sometime tomorrow if the rain holds off.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
Re: Chilliwack River Report, October 17, 2016
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 01:11:07 PM »

Thanks for the report!

What time is first light on the Vedder these days, Chris?

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 04:01:48 PM »

No reason to be, I used to catch sea trout at 1 am in the morning, which was the best time of the day to fish for these spooky fish.  How they could see the fly was beyond me, but they did.  Presumably looking up and contrasting with the sky.

trootn

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 04:16:16 PM »

Have caught pinks at around 4 am before.

rymack

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 07:32:29 PM »

Was also out at first light this morning. I was amazed to find my self alone on stretch of river with no one in sight for the first 2 hours!

The fish co-operated as I brought a couple to the beach on spoons in some frog water. Around noon I decided to take a peek up near Peach road. Found a smallish run that looked promising that had one gentleman fishing in there. I asked him if I could join and he was welcoming. He quickly hooked into a hatchery coho which I helped him land . I brought one in about 20 minutes later which he netted for me.

Great day to be out on the water though I crunched my rod tip in the car! Doh!

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 07:34:47 PM »

I've hooked quite a few fish on glow-in-the-dark corkies on my first or second cast after it was legal (1 hour before sunrise).  On one occasion, I landed a nice buck coho and had to check for an adipose by running my hand down his spine.  I was pretty sure it was a mis-clip, but I felt some kind of fin so back he went. 

243Pete

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 08:13:04 PM »

Fished the upper area today, got pounded by lots of old springs. My friend managed to hook a nice hatch but lost it while handling it in the water.
Guy across from us hooked quite a few coho on a copper blade, good chat as I believe today was his second trip out to the Vedder this season.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 08:25:57 PM »

Thanks for the report!

What time is first light on the Vedder these days, Chris?
I see it has been answered for you. I usually make my first cast 30 minutes before sunrise, check sunrise times for Chilliwack on line.

Last week I saw them catching nice coho in the ponds from the recent gravel extractions before I could see my float. ;D ;D
Anyone having trouble catching coho start tossing hardware as Rodney and many others have been doing well. Personally I like seeing the Auston Matthews float going down and the challenge of hooking my quarry.

Donot get me wrong as nothing wrong with tossing lures its just a preference.

Maybe someone having luck with them will give a hint what to use.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 04:16:38 PM »

I see it has been answered for you. I usually make my first cast 30 minutes before sunrise, check sunrise times for Chilliwack on line.

Last week I saw them catching nice coho in the ponds from the recent gravel extractions before I could see my float. ;D ;D
Anyone having trouble catching coho start tossing hardware as Rodney and many others have been doing well. Personally I like seeing the Auston Matthews float going down and the challenge of hooking my quarry.

Donot get me wrong as nothing wrong with tossing lures its just a preference.

Maybe someone having luck with them will give a hint what to use.

You forgot to mention how much you like stinky red fingers too;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 04:39:56 PM »

You forgot to mention how much you like stinky red fingers too;)
The sign of a top notch angler, check out the Master too. ;D ;D ;D