Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jig Storage  (Read 9157 times)

scouterjames

• Old Timer
Jig Storage
« on: October 09, 2016, 05:32:24 PM »

Those that fish jigs - how do you store them when out on the water (or beside the water or in the water....)
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Jig Storage
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 06:07:37 PM »

I make my own "ghetto" jig holders.

Go to Michael's and buy some of the little plastic containers/tupperwares that are designed to hold photographs.

Same store, buy some closed cell foam sheets. They are about 1/4 inch thick.

Take the container, place on the foam, trace out the shape, cut out with scissors.

Glue it in the container with a few dabs of hot glue or whatever.

Poke your jigs into the foam as you would flies.

Of course you can also you whatever box that is made to hold flies. But they are a lot more $.

Another tip on jigs: the ones you fished that day that are all wet and clumped together, esp marabou jigs. Do NOT just leave them in the closed box wet. The material will sometimes go skunky, almost like it rots. Instead take those jigs out and just let them dry out and fluff up, and then put back in the box.

243Pete

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 10:51:35 PM »

Sometimes all I use is a 4x5 piece of foam and just stick the jigs into that, then place it inside a small zip-lock bag.

As for when I am on the water? Well if I use a jig and want to switch to another color I'll clip it off and hang it off my vest on one of the many pocket flaps, let's it air dry and usually when I am done for the day and heading back the jigs dry off, but sometimes they do fall off so just be a little weary about that, I should really make a small little foam holder with some mono in a tube shape so I can just clip it on some where and then just stick the points in and let them hang. :-\

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 11:55:43 PM »

Most of mine are pre tied on a leader board. The one not tied on are poked into the end of the board.

Tangles

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 03:22:46 AM »

I also have a cutout of foam from Michael's in my car strapped to my sun visor, by the time I make it home they are almost dry. I used to dry them on my heater vents but abandoned that after I dropped a few inside LOL

Blackrt03

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 11:39:15 AM »

Most of mine are pre tied on a leader board. The one not tied on are poked into the end of the board.

X2....when drying hang on rack use fan blow dry it, good to go in the morning

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 12:42:30 PM »

If your jigs are soft, make sure the storage containers are "worm proof" as soft jigs are known to melt plastics and destroy lures due to the chemical reactions.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 11:41:08 AM »

thanks for all the replys!  some good ideas that I'll be adopting!

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 06:04:42 PM »

I have caught two coho, once, short floating a jig, compared to hundreds and hundreds of chum.  Chym will take a twitched jig but they seem to prefer a dead drift (IMHO).

However, if you twitch a jig in the right water with the right technique, I believe it is probably THE most effective method of catching coho. 

Twitchy

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 07:18:22 PM »

I have caught two coho, once, short floating a jig, compared to hundreds and hundreds of chum.  Chym will take a twitched jig but they seem to prefer a dead drift (IMHO).

However, if you twitch a jig in the right water with the right technique, I believe it is probably THE most effective method of catching coho.

X2 twitching in froggy water is a very effective way of targeting coho, technique varies depending on the weight of your jig and the depth of water you are covering. I find big dark jigs in purple/blue/black with a tiny bit of flash to be most effective especially at first light. I don't think I have ever had a chum hit a twitched jig so it can be very effective when there are chum around.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 05:26:38 PM »

Do any of you fish jigs for Coho much? I hear about it all the time but never really have success under a float or jigged on a spin setup. Do coho really take jigs like a chum would? Maybe it's a size/colour thing and I need to go small and shiny on my jigs for hoes? :D

In the salt myself and a couple fishin' buddies get coho all the time twitching jigs in places they hold (ambleside, furry etc type places) both from shore and floating around.  Jigs are our go to (along with spinners) if we're not trolling.

In rivers, I've taken more than a few on the Harrison and Stave (more Chum than coho, but usually at least one per trip in between the dogs) both short floating and twitching.  In my experience, the biggest trick with jigs and coho are not the color or the twitch but finding the fish  -  if you find them, they will come LOL  There's a ton of youtubes on them - BentRod has a good one if I recall.  Typically for me, I use the brighter colors (with or without flash) morning and eve or if its very dark cloudy and adjust to darker colors as the day gets light.

On the Fraser I honestly haven't played much, as I usually barf these days... I used to do well with spinners I imagine jigs would also do well.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 05:51:03 PM by scouterjames »

Kever

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 09:05:13 PM »

Do any of you fish jigs for Coho much? I hear about it all the time but never really have success under a float or jigged on a spin setup. Do coho really take jigs like a chum would? Maybe it's a size/colour thing and I need to go small and shiny on my jigs for hoes? :D

Dead drifting Jigs does catch coho, but there are a few tricks that you need to know to get em. One hint I can give is take a thin piece of coloured wool and tie it to your jig loop above your jig. You'll have to figure out colors yourself.

I'm keen to try twitching but I don't want to snag fish. Snagging seems unavoidable with this technique. Any tips?

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 09:35:49 AM »

I totally disagree that twitching jigs leads to unavoidable snagging.

Yes, it certainly is possible to foul hook a fish twitching jigs, or casting spoons/spinners, or stripping a fly in, and so on.

However when you twitch a jig you are NOT ripping the line violently, it is more of a light twitch of the rod tip, then lower the rod tip and reel up the slack, then twitch back up. The result is the jig "dances" up and down through the water. Coho often find it irresistible.

I will also add that I have twitched jigs for coho lots and never foul hooked this way. Whereas swinging flies and lures the odd time I'll foul hook a fish.

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 11:14:00 AM »

Twitching has by far caught me the most coho over the last three seasons. I probably foul hook the fewest fish doing it too. Since the jig swims upside down you end up dragging/bouncing it over the fish's back without it hooking anything.

I still don't have a go to colour. I've found this to be totally varible day to day. If you feel you are in the zone around fish and they aren't biting, only make a few casts before switching colours.

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 11:16:15 AM »

What knot do you guys use while twitching? I think I get the most action with the no slip loop knot, but it is way weaker than non loop knots in my experience.