Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2016 Tidal Fraser River Fall Salmon and Trout Fishery Updates  (Read 36509 times)

TimL

Re: 2016 Tidal Fraser River Fall Salmon and Trout Fishery Updates
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 06:37:16 AM »

make em 4 wild ones :) +1 doe and buck about 5lbs
They're getting bigger!  :D ;)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 07:24:14 PM »

Been fishing North Arm the last few days.

Monday saw lots of big fish come out of the water, most of them going back in again.

Yesterday and today quite slow, I caught 2 wild jacks so came away empty handed (and minus one rod which snapped on a cast), one hatchery jack the day before.

Still had fun today scrambling up and down the bank netting other people's catches.

The guy next to me managed to extract two very nice hatchery coho.

It was nice to at least see some fish, and it's great to see that pretty much everyone is sticking to the regs and putting the wild ones back, which seem to be in much greater abundance than the hatchery fish...

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2016, 09:00:49 PM »

In the lower tidal Fraser to people try to time the tides or does it not really matter?

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2016, 09:04:58 PM »

Doesn't really matter. Buddy hit 12 today on the out going tide. I fished the incoming tide and hit one. Really don't think it matters.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2016, 10:26:55 PM »

It can vary by the specific bar. Some do well on the top of the flood and others on the ebb. Either way the hour or two between the turns is the time to be there.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

poper

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2016, 11:03:58 PM »

Today was by far the best day in a few years for us, lots of fish 3-9 lbs fresh chum roe was the ticket.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2016, 07:51:25 AM »

Buddy hit 12 today on the out going tide. I fished the incoming tide and hit one.

Hmm getting outfished 12-to-1 sounds like it made a huge difference...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2016, 09:43:55 AM »

In the lower tidal Fraser to people try to time the tides or does it not really matter?

IMO, you want to catch the last three hours of incoming tide and the first three hours of outgoing tide if you want to be successful. Fish come in with the incoming so you are likely to intercept fish, but more often than not they will zip right by without biting. When the tide peaks and the current is still, I find the bites will always cease especially if you are using bait. The scent is not being carried around. Once the tide starts going out, often the bites are way more frequent. A couple of hypotheses, fish are dropping back with the tide, some fish are still coming up with the last bit of the incoming tide but just moving more slowly, and lastly the scent from the bait is being carried downstream with the current. I think most of my good hours have occurred during the first, second or even third hour of outgoing tide actually. The height of the tidal also has an influence. If you have a small outgoing tide (1 to 4 feet), current is a lot slower and you are more likely to get into fish. I really dislike fishing big tides in the Tidal Fraser, unless I am focusing at a spot where tidal current is minimal.

So, tide does make a huge difference sometimes. ;)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2016, 04:54:25 PM »

How is the colour of the river ?
Did it colour up the last couple days at all?

waterbearer

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2016, 05:38:19 PM »

IMO, you want to catch the last three hours of incoming tide and the first three hours of outgoing tide if you want to be successful. Fish come in with the incoming so you are likely to intercept fish, but more often than not they will zip right by without biting. When the tide peaks and the current is still, I find the bites will always cease especially if you are using bait. The scent is not being carried around. Once the tide starts going out, often the bites are way more frequent. A couple of hypotheses, fish are dropping back with the tide, some fish are still coming up with the last bit of the incoming tide but just moving more slowly, and lastly the scent from the bait is being carried downstream with the current. I think most of my good hours have occurred during the first, second or even third hour of outgoing tide actually. The height of the tidal also has an influence. If you have a small outgoing tide (1 to 4 feet), current is a lot slower and you are more likely to get into fish. I really dislike fishing big tides in the Tidal Fraser, unless I am focusing at a spot where tidal current is minimal.

So, tide does make a huge difference sometimes. ;)

Think it's time to update your tidal fraser fishing video . I have been fishing the first 2 hrs before and 2 hrs after the peak high tide like you recommend to your older tidal video .  what do you mean by the first three hours of he outgoing tide ? the first three hours after the low tide time ?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 05:41:44 PM by waterbearer »

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2016, 05:48:51 PM »

Think it's time to update your tidal fraser fishing video . I have been fishing the first 2 hrs before and 2 hrs after the peak high tide like you recommend to your older tidal video .  what do you mean by the first three hours of he outgoing tide ? the first three hours after the low tide time ?
Don't just listen to 1 opinion and use it as a bible. Every location is different and every tide is different.  Vary your timing at your location to see for yourself in order to get a better understanding of your fishing spot.

waterbearer

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2016, 06:22:52 PM »

Don't just listen to 1 opinion and use it as a bible. Every location is different and every tide is different.  Vary your timing at your location to see for yourself in order to get a better understanding of your fishing spot.

thanks fic .

TimL

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2016, 07:02:38 PM »

How is the colour of the river ?
Did it colour up the last couple days at all?
Not where I was at earlier today, off Coquitlam. Visibility was still around 2 ft. or so at high tide. Lots of fish, mostly chum and some coho, moving through near shore, but no takers on roe other than coarse fish  :-\. They can be seen jumping and porpoising. One guy landed a chum on a spinner and that was it. With such good water clarity, should have switched to lures instead
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 07:05:18 PM by TimL »

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2016, 10:41:56 AM »

Think it's time to update your tidal fraser fishing video . I have been fishing the first 2 hrs before and 2 hrs after the peak high tide like you recommend to your older tidal video .

Why should he update it? Rod's quote below is literally almost the exact same thing except he's changed 2 hours to 3 hours - ie. just fish more! LOL

IMO, you want to catch the last three hours of incoming tide and the first three hours of outgoing tide if you want to be successful.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2016, 10:48:21 AM »

what do you mean by the first three hours of he outgoing tide ? the first three hours after the low tide time ?

It means the first three hours of the outgoing tide... starting from just after the tide peaks.