Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2016 Tidal Fraser River Fall Salmon and Trout Fishery Updates  (Read 36544 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
2016 Tidal Fraser River Fall Salmon and Trout Fishery Updates
« on: October 07, 2016, 11:04:37 AM »

The Tidal Fraser River (downstream from Mission's CPR Bridge) is open for coho salmon fishing on October 8th, 2016. Once again, this thread is designed to let members to provide updates on the fishing and water condition throughout the season.

Regulations

Please note that coho salmon fishing is closed and a bait ban for salmon fishing is in effect until October 7th.

Starting on October 8th, coho salmon fishing opens and bait will once again be allowed for salmon fishing. You can use roe, krill, shrimp, ghost shrimp, dew worm and any natural bait or artificially scented bait for salmon. The daily quota for hatchery marked coho salmon is two fish per day during this opening. Please make sure you identify your fish correctly in the water first by using a catch and release net. All wild coho salmon have to be released with care.

Here is the fishery notice for detailed opening information.

Wild coho salmon (presence of the adipose fin)

Hatchery-marked coho salmon (absence of the adipose fin)

For trout and char, the daily quota is two hatchery marked fish. You will find some hatchery marked cutthroat trout (absence of the adipose fin). All bull trout are wild. Please release all wild cutthroat and bull trout carefully.

Please make sure you have a valid saltwater fishing licence, and a salmon stamp if you intend to keep salmon.

This thread is started so everyone can post updates throughout the season. Please do not ask for updates.

Good luck!

scouterjames

• Old Timer
Re: 2016 Tidal Fraser River Fall Salmon and Trout Fishery Updates
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 06:26:51 PM »

Fished from 07:00-12:00 (low slack to incoming) Langley area with Roe.  fair amount of hits, didn't bring any in today..... only saw 2 caught from a limited viewpoint I admit.... water was very dirty - 6"-8" within casting distance.... bite turned off as soon as the nets showed up.... holy monsoon, Batman!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 07:15:06 PM »

fished annacis island from 730 till 2. started slow but picked up around noon. caught 10 between us 5. 3 or 4 jacks and the rest adults. all small in the 4lb range. water was prob 2 feet vis around the high tide.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 07:15:55 PM »

lots of commercial boats out there today

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 02:56:59 PM »

Out again around Langley 07:00-12:30 - fed the (bullheads? rocky mountain whitefish? pike minnows?) about 93 pounds of roe between two of us.  One hatch to the beach.  Slow day hit wise as well....

Interesting though, once the tide started to come in, the little guys laid off almost completely.  All morning, took all of 15 seconds for them to start stripping the bait loops.... salinity in the water rising along with the incoming tide maybe??

One netter and a few sturgeon boats out pounding it hard all day too.... (saw one sturgeon charter I think bring one to the beach; too far away to see the fish)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 08:44:22 PM by scouterjames »

Birkenhead

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 03:18:47 PM »

Fished the Fraser right at the Coquitlam River mouth earlier this morning for about an hour and half. No success for me but a couple others managed to land some chum.

Question. The boat launch on the west side of the Port Mann bridge, is that open 24/7 and anyone know the cost? I would like to launch my tinnie from there then anchor and fish near the mouth of the Coquitlam as others were doing today.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 06:43:36 PM »

93 lbs. of roe ?  :o . Maybe do up roe bags , might last you longer . Expensive day that's for sure .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

TimL

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 07:47:33 PM »

Fished in the Coquitlam area downstream of the Portmann bridge from 2:45-7:15 on high slack through first few hours of outgoing tide. Had a few good bites (on roe) in between the little bites from bullheads at last light but that was it. Saw only 1 chum landed on a spoon and heard of a few more plus a couple of wild coho caught in the morning when tide was coming in. Water vis was excellent..close to 2 ft.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 08:46:01 PM by TimL »

Tylsie

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 08:36:16 PM »

93 pounds? I assume that is a typo cause that is about 40kg, but it got me thinking... Does the 1kg max apply in tidal waters? I don't even usually carry that much so I have never looked into it and can't find anything on the DFO website.

Back to the topic at hand, fished the Langley area. Landed a small sturgeon, lost something else with a poor hookset and that was it. Clarity was a lot better than I anticipated.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 08:43:28 PM »

93 pounds? I assume that is a typo cause that is about 40kg, but it got me thinking... Does the 1kg max apply in tidal waters? I don't even usually carry that much so I have never looked into it and can't find anything on the DFO website.

Back to the topic at hand, fished the Langley area. Landed a small sturgeon, lost something else with a poor hookset and that was it. Clarity was a lot better than I anticipated.

:o Yes, 93 [SARCASTIC] pounds of roe.  They were hungry little buggers......  ::)

TimL

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 08:45:24 PM »

93 lbs sounds like a lifetime's supply of bait..lol. I've started using roe bags this season and my roe now lasts maybe 10x longer even after all the pecking from coarse fish. For sure it saves a lot of bait and $$.

obie1fish

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 05:05:29 PM »

FWIW, I like the way roe milks, so if I want to make it last longer and I want more of a profile I'll use a single egg sac and half the amount of roe (or less) at the same time. Usually I get a neat colour combination between the two.

That way, you'll only need 46.5 lbs. of roe! ;) ::)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 05:07:11 PM by obie1fish »

Tangles

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 05:08:56 PM »

Fished the low slack today just up from Mission. Spent one hour chucking roe to no avail. Then tied on a favourite spoon and this time the fish gods finally smiled at me with a beautiful wild buck of at least 15lbs, easily my best fish in a long time. Released him carefully and called it a the day.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 12:36:23 PM by Tangles »

TimL

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 06:02:24 PM »

Fished Thanksgiving Monday on incoming through first few hours of outgoing at Annacis. Not too hot for us with only 2 wild coho (1 jack, 1 ~3 lb buck) landed and many missed hits. Most of the takes were soft, hesitant nibbles, very hard to detect, though there were some very aggressive hits. Others had more luck, with a mix of both wild and hatchery fish brought to shore...all on the small side, 4 lbs or less. Many jumpers but few takers. Saw quite a few fishers casting jigs for chum, but most were unsuccessful. Water vis was around 1-1.5 ft at high tide.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 06:05:58 PM by TimL »

hrenya

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 10:59:27 PM »

Fished Thanksgiving Monday on incoming through first few hours of outgoing at Annacis. Not too hot for us with only 2 wild coho (1 jack, 1 ~3 lb buck) landed and many missed hits. Most of the takes were soft, hesitant nibbles, very hard to detect, though there were some very aggressive hits. Others had more luck, with a mix of both wild and hatchery fish brought to shore...all on the small side, 4 lbs or less. Many jumpers but few takers. Saw quite a few fishers casting jigs for chum, but most were unsuccessful. Water vis was around 1-1.5 ft at high tide.
make em 4 wild ones :) +1 doe and buck about 5lbs