Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly Recommendations  (Read 4655 times)

Dylb

Fly Recommendations
« on: October 07, 2016, 08:17:12 AM »

Hey guys,

Heading out towards Harrison for some lake fishing this weekend, mainly stocked rainbows. Just wondering if anyone had any seasonal fly recommendations for this time of year?

Whooly Buggers are my usual go to, but I'm newer to this and looking to expand my arsenal a little.

I don't mind a little trial and error, but any guidance as to what patterns are productive this time of year would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

cdjk123

Re: Fly Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 11:46:27 AM »

little leech patterns will do you well this time of year. I use a floating line with a full sink leader and a foot or 2 of tippet. You don't need to fish deep in the water column, the water is cold enough so the fish will be at all depths depending on the conditions. Strip slowly until you get that taptap! You could also use a lighter leader and put an indicator on as well-kind of like chronomid fishing.

I generally stick to brown and black squirl hair leech type patterns. Go smaller rather than bigger. Wooly buggers will do well to.
I LOVE a dark red mohair leech patterns for fall fishing too. It's basically the same thing as a wooly bugger. Totally slayed on that pattern yesterday in my belly boat.

Depending on where you go, you'll mostly encounter cuttys and rainbows.

Deer, Hicks, and Weaver are all decent. Hungry, but moderately sized fish. Average is about 10ish inches?

Good luck with the weather!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 11:49:16 AM by cdjk123 »

Dylb

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 01:18:50 PM »

Thanks a lot for the input! I will pickup a few Mohairs and put them to the test.

Doing research is tricky,so much info is specific to the interior, which I imagine would have its differences as far as hatches etc...

Any input on water boatman flies? Looks like a surface fly from what I can see. Not sure how applicable it is to the west coast

Thanks again

colin6101

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 03:16:05 PM »

I've never tried boatman on our local lakes but they work really well around this time of year in the interior. In the Harrison area you are probably better off with leeches and dragonfly nymphs this time of year.

cdjk123

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 03:59:44 PM »

Considering it's going to rain this weekend, I would stick with the leech patterns. Waterboatmen might be better when it's sunnier.

The rain shouldnt turn the fish off. They're aggressively feeding this time of year.

And ya, don't be afraid to try fishing damsel fly nymphs either, or olive green wooly buggers.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:01:23 PM by cdjk123 »

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 04:48:53 PM »

If it's raining try running attractors like boobies and blobs.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 05:16:00 PM »

Any input on water boatman flies? Looks like a surface fly from what I can see.

boatman flies are often made of bouyant material but meant to be fished on a sinking line so when stripped in they dive downwards, then float upwards in between strips to emulate the naturals behavior.