Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beginner fisherwoman  (Read 3100 times)

Kathleen McClure

Beginner fisherwoman
« on: September 26, 2016, 05:51:59 AM »

I started trout fishing on Rice Lake in early June and recently fished the beach at Ambleside. I've caught some trout but on the beach I just catch seaweed and several lures have locked onto rocks.  Is this typical for novices or just a sign of the appallingly low return of salmon to the Capilano?  I want to learn to fly fish as this appears "safer" than baitcasting.  By the way, thanks to the fishermen who have given their time to helping me out in one way or another--from set-up to un-tangling my line.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Re: Beginner fisherwoman
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 08:53:40 AM »

I'd say that's pretty typical. The stocked trout seem to be 'relatively' easier to catch than wild salmon.

I don't know how many times I fished Ambleside last year, probably at least 20 times, only to catch one coho.

This spring I fished the Cap at least the same amount of times if not more, and only caught two fish, each within about 10 minutes of each other, when all the conditions were textbook ideal.

It takes a while to get a feel for how fast to retrieve to keep your gear off the bottom so it doesn't snag, how to set your float depth when drifting to keep it off the rocks.

I put so much money in the water at Ambleside the first year, it's not even funny. I hardly lose anything now.

Flyfishing is an entirely difficult category of frustration...

So, don't be discouraged, you just have to go through the process.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 09:59:06 AM »

Here's an article on Beach fishing which can help answer some of your questions. 

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/saltwater_fishing/beach_fishing_for_pacific_salmon.html

There's a section here that talks about the beach at Ambleside.
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/region_two/capilano_river.html

I've only been out once to Ambleside this year, and the number of rolling wish compared to last year is like 10 to 1. It's way down.
You will have more success next year for sure because of the pinks.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 10:48:55 AM »

Hi Kathleen, welcome to the forum.

If you are chucking lures, I would strongly recommend you use spinners, in a No. 3 or 4 blade, silver/copper/brass with pink bead body or similar.  Something like this:
http://www.ifish.net/gallery/data/500/08-03-08_Marci_spinner_coho_headshot.jpg

With the spinning blade they tend to hold up in the water column better than spoons, for a given weight.  However, you will not be able to cast them very far unless your spinning rig is optimized, such as with 12-15 lb braid and a mono bumper.  You can always add a little weight.  the most effective way is to use a piece of rubber tubing attached above a swivel so you can swap in and out different lengths of pencil lead.  This allows you to fish water at different depths.  Fishing off the little island that becomes exposed under low tide can also be tricky, because the water is very deep toward the main channel but toward the west it can be very shallow as in 3-5'.

As others have said, do not get discouraged with your luck at Ambleside.  I have been out half a dozen times and not touched a thing.  The fishing is never easy at this location until the pinks come in (next year) and there are still better locations in the area. 

Fly fishing can be a great way to catch coho, particularly in rivers, however be warned this may lead you into a higher level of addiction ......

Ryan.maccie

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 09:15:36 PM »

Hey Kathleen,

I agree with everything said above.  I myself have NEVER had any luck at ambleside or the cap.   Likely due to the fact that I have not put the time in on this fishery.

Keep at er' dont get fed up.   Sometimes you have to donate some gear before you tug some lips :p.

That being said' fly fishing is the most rewarding, challanging' and frusterating thing I have ever taken up.   Youll honestly spend more money/time and mental anguish fly fishing than you will with gear in my opinion.   (Dont let this stop you'  I havent touched my gear rods since I started fly fishing)

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 04:34:21 PM »

Hi Kathleen, welcome to the forum.

If you are chucking lures, I would strongly recommend you use spinners, in a No. 3 or 4 blade, silver/copper/brass with pink bead body or similar.  Something like this:
http://www.ifish.net/gallery/data/500/08-03-08_Marci_spinner_coho_headshot.jpg

With the spinning blade they tend to hold up in the water column better than spoons, for a given weight.  However, you will not be able to cast them very far unless your spinning rig is optimized, such as with 12-15 lb braid and a mono bumper.  You can always add a little weight.  the most effective way is to use a piece of rubber tubing attached above a swivel so you can swap in and out different lengths of pencil lead.  This allows you to fish water at different depths.  Fishing off the little island that becomes exposed under low tide can also be tricky, because the water is very deep toward the main channel but toward the west it can be very shallow as in 3-5'.

As others have said, do not get discouraged with your luck at Ambleside.  I have been out half a dozen times and not touched a thing.  The fishing is never easy at this location until the pinks come in (next year) and there are still better locations in the area. 

Fly fishing can be a great way to catch coho, particularly in rivers, however be warned this may lead you into a higher level of addiction ......

I agree with the spinners; I use http://www.trophytackle.ca/collections/spinners (they are weighted) but for distance, I use 8lb braid, and tie straight to a snap swivel (never had a line break from 8lb braid with coho or pinks), snap on the spinner.  OR cast and retrieve buzz bombs, but that takes a tad bit more practice and some sacrifices to the tackle gods to get the hang of it.  When fishing salt, don't forget to rinse everything afterward and let it dry, or you'll be re-hooking from rust!

Lots of places to practice for coho on the tidal Fraser over the next few weeks!  I normally do well with spinners, almost or equal to bait, depending on the day (or the year LOL).
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.