Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kokanee in September  (Read 3524 times)

chomperman

Kokanee in September
« on: September 22, 2016, 05:27:15 PM »

Is it too late to go fishing for Kokanee at Kawkawa Lake?  Would it be possible to catch kokanee that is not spawning and colored up if I stay away from the streams and shore?

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: Kokanee in September
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 07:35:17 PM »

got to check the regs - I think it closes to fishing some time in the Fall. Closes end of November I believe but check first and YES you can catch Kokanee - not all of them spawn this year. Coho and Cutthoat can be caught as well. Don't keep the Coho in mistake of Kokanee.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 08:40:18 PM by Rieber »

chomperman

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 12:25:08 AM »

Thanks for the reply. The last day is Nov 30 but I wondered if it had more to do with ice over rather than spawning seasons. Hopefully my son can land his first kokanee! 

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 09:41:29 AM »

Pretty sure that closure is because of spawning timing.

Rodney has posted a lot of information and videos on bait fishing for the Kokanee - I'm sure you've check it out already. At this time of the year I think bait is the answer for any non-spawning kokanee.

I've been out a few times in the Fall many years ago and had the best success trolling with a small willow leaf gang troll with wedding ring spinner tipped with maggot. I also had some success with trolling green or brown sparkle leeches and Green Doc Spratleys but the catch rate was really low compared to the first two weeks when the lake opens in the Spring. Spring time I really only use a red micro leech with a gold or silver beadhead on an intermediate sink line.

I've stopped fishing Kawkawa in the Fall because the time or effort put in to catch a keepable fish was so poor compared to river fishing for salmon - so I opted for Salmon.

I'm not trying to discourage you from taking your Son to Kawkawa, it's always quality time spent whenever you can take your kid fishing so if you can find a nice day to get out - go for it and enjoy.

chomperman

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 08:48:54 PM »

Thought I would follow up with a report. It ended up being a gorgeous day to go home empty handed!  Lol. Did get a few fish casing small spoons but could not land any. At one point a few actually jumped and smacked into the canoe!  There were many at the bottom but they were not interested at all in biting.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 09:14:30 AM »

Keep in mind this year's kokanee are now either dead after spawning, on the gravel beds or staging prior to - feeding fish will be next year's generation of mature fish & much smaller than the fish you caught this past spring and summer.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.