Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nit-Nat River  (Read 6579 times)

Ry the fly guy

Nit-Nat River
« on: September 07, 2016, 07:17:12 PM »

Hello, the Nit-Nat opend up today and I was wondering if anyone has any tips or what to use this time of year and where to fish? This would be my first time fishing this river and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the help

ShaunO

Re: Nit-Nat River
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 08:14:09 PM »

Give the folks at Gone Fishing in Port Alberni a call.  They'll be able to point you in the right direction.  You could also call Murphy's though I'm not sure if their guides ever frequent the Nitinat.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 12:08:46 PM »

Only fished this river for steelhead, but it's a beauty of a river. I think most salmon fishermen fish down near the mouth of Nitinat lake, there's some deep pools down there.

FishMachine

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 09:00:34 PM »

Bring bear spay just in case. Lots bears but they don't generally bother you much. Make sure you have a spare tire as well since the logging road can be rough at times.

Yard and corkies in peach color works well there. Looks for some deep water or trenches. They will be there. Good luck. They fight really good.

Ry the fly guy

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 09:46:50 PM »

Thanks for the helps guys, hopefully I'll get out there in the next few days, I'll post an update

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 04:28:25 PM »

Bring bear spay just in case. Lots bears but they don't generally bother you much. Make sure you have a spare tire as well since the logging road can be rough at times.

Yard and corkies in peach color works well there. Looks for some deep water or trenches. They will be there. Good luck. They fight really good.

Tell me about it. We had the closest encounter with a large black bear at Nitnat. Years ago a group of us went there for red spring. A member of the group got a fish and went down the bush below us to chase the fish. We spotted a bear below the bush and yelled to him to not chase the fish anymore. He didn't listen and turned the corner below the bush. I had never seen anybody run that fast on a river when he finally spotted the beast and dashed back to us in panic. LOL.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 08:06:40 PM »

Exactly the wrong thing to do in a situation like that. Once you run, you become prey.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 09:57:53 PM »

I'm not seeing that river as being open? Interested if you have information otherwise?
http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=187496&ID=all
As far as I'm aware Nitinat is management zone 1-4 and currently closed as are all other rivers in Zones 1-1 - 1-6 except the Big Q, Puntledge and Quinsam.
See also provincial regs..
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/changes/1517/region1.html
No trying to give you grief, maybe you're not aware or have some hot info lol.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 01:22:37 AM »

Thanks for clearing that up Rodney. They don't make it easy for people!

trootn

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 07:29:12 PM »

Any luck?

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 08:00:15 PM »

I haven't been there for several years but at the time the road from the hatchery down to the Sturgeon Pool was almost overgrown.  I would appreciate any recent information on this main access route.

Ry the fly guy

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 02:11:55 PM »

Sorry guys but I haven't made the trip yet, a lot of rivers way closer to me just opend up so I've been fishing those. Thanks for all the advice anyways tho when I do make the trip I'll put it all to good use